Thoughts on new 6.8 Western cartridge

I'm in the process of building a Tikka T3X something....its currently chambered in 30-06, and while the 6.5PRC and this new 6.8 Western are better in velocity, energy, BC, There's very few options in ammunition. When i looked at Federal Swift Scirrocco and Terminal Ascent, those weren't that far behind this 6.8 Western in terms of 500 yard performance and drop.

Are these going to have factory ammunition in 15 years for 6.5PRC and 6.8 Western?

What do you guys think about pandemic friendly chamberings? My first thought was 30-06 would be great, but maybe it being common is bad, because there's tons of folks that own them hoarding all the ammo from Fleet Farm.

Maybe something like less common like 6.8 Western would be better to have (in a year or two).

From what I saw at Ace Hardware, 338 Lapua and 300 Win Mag were like 2 of 8 chamberings that were available.

View attachment 253435

View attachment 253436
I am in your same area. A few weeks ago 350 legend was looking like the way to go for ammo availability. These new chambering are just so new that no one has really bought rifles for them yet, so ammo is readily available. I do have to hand it to these companies though. With an ammo and firearm shortage, market and make new products available. Limit the older offerings.

double check that you can't over rotate lower grain bullets. I would assume there is a sweet spot, otherwise wouldn't all barrels be like 6twist barrels? There HAS to be some downside to having a faster twist barrel than you need.
Wouldn't the affects of over rotation be more about bullet construction?

AkRyan

WKR
That's what I thought. Too much twist and a jacketed bullet will come apart.

That new 8.9 Blackout has a 1:3 twist, yes 1:3, not a typo. looks like a threaded barrel.

Anyways, they have to be bonded or mono.
If you talk to q or falkor they will tell you to only shoot copper or very well constructed bonded bullets in the 8.6blk because the twist will destroy the cheaper bullets before they exit the barrel. Took them 3yrs to figure out how to make a slow 338 only suitable for plinking subs or hunt 300yrds or under. I honestly don't understand the hype behind it unless you only shoot subs.

If you talk to q or falkor they will tell you to only shoot copper or very well constructed bonded bullets in the 8.6blk because the twist will destroy the cheaper bullets before they exit the barrel. Took them 3yrs to figure out how to make a slow 338 only suitable for plinking subs or hunt 300yrds or under. I honestly don't understand the hype behind it unless you only shoot subs.
I'm pretty sure there is video of them hiding steel at 1000 yds. I can't remember if it was with subs or supers. Back to 6.8 Western.

P5Audet

FNG
I'll be interested to see if anyone offers partitions or regular accubonds. I don't shoot long range, but that long, heavy 175 gr bullet should deliver monster penetration on elk and moose at short to moderate ranges. I'm thinking a 6.5 Swede on steroids.
I have a Browning hells canon speed that was used to take a smallish cow at about 300 yards using the 175 gr STGK. Broke ribs on both sides, better performance than I was expecting. I have 200 STGK waiting a some load data for the 2022 hunt. The factory 165 ABLR and 175 STGK don't group very well at all out of my rifle.

I have a Browning hells canon speed that was used to take a smallish cow at about 300 yards using the 175 gr STGK. Broke ribs on both sides, better performance than I was expecting. I have 200 STGK waiting a some load data for the 2022 hunt. The factory 165 ABLR and 175 STGK don't group very well at all out of my rifle.
That’s unfortunate the factory tgk won’t group in your rifle. My hells canyon speed will put them is darn near the same hole

Termite

FNG
I have Alamo Precision Rifles in Hurat Texas building me a 6.8 W with a 24” Proof Sendero carbon barrel, Defiance Anti action all in a MDT Hnt26 chassis. I went with a long action so I would have more room to play with COAL. I am pretty dang excited. I found Shooters Pro Shop has the 165gr ABLR blems in stock.

I contacted Lapua about them manufacturing brass. They said that if they have enough interest they will consider manufacturing it. I have another post on here asking for people to send them an email but figured I would throw it in the thread as well since it has garnered a bunch of comments. Please send them an email if you are interested in brass other than Winchester. It’s a long shot but who knows they may do it????!!!!