Thoughts on Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x50

winny94

FNG
I'm seriously considering putting in an order for a NF NX8 2.5-20x50 F2 MOA and I wanted to hear what peoples thoughts were on that scope; specifically, if it seems appropriate for my intended application or if I should be looking at something else.

I want to put the NX8 on my Tikka 6.5CM "target gun" which currently has a Leupold VX5 3-15x44 on it. I like the VX5 a lot, so much in fact that I want to put one my Tikka .308 hunting rifle, but instead of just buying another VX5, I thought I'd take the VX5 off my 6.5CM, put it on the .308, and then upgrade the glass on the 6.5CM. I was considering the Leupold Mark 5 3.6-18x44 for a while but now I'm thinking about saying f*** it and going big. That's how I started looking at NF.

The rifle shoots very well. I'm hesitant to throw out an MOA rating on it's precision given all the recent, spirited discussion surrounding group size...so I'll just say it shoots very well. It's in an adjustable McMillan Game Scout stock and is in the 11+ lbs range (with scope and bipod). Intended use is steel out to 1000 and feral goats out to 600-700.

Looking forward to the forgiving eyebox and wide field of view with a 50mm objective. Like the idea of being able to go all the way down to 2.5x and all the way up to 20x. Can't really get my head around the 4-32x version as I can't imagine needing that much magnification at the ranges I shoot. I like to shoot a lot on low power, hence the second focal plane. I have one FFP scope and I hate how thin the reticle is at low power. I was looking at the NXS line but really want the capped windage on the NX8.

Anyway, that's a lot of talking. Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on this scope or if there's something else I should consider. Thanks for reading.
It's a fine scope, but forgiving eyebox it does not have.

OP
Antares

Antares

WKR
It's a fine scope, but forgiving eyebox it does not have.
I appreciate that. You're not the only one to point that out. That's a lot of the reason I decided to stay away from that scope and go with NXS 3.5-15x50. Only thing I wish it had was capped windage, but I'm sure it'll be fine. I have other scopes with open windage turrets and it's never been an issue.

Seeknelk

WKR
Just wrap some electrical tape on the windage to hold in place of your worried about it. Works well. Pink works best👍

Rifles And More

Lil-Rokslider
I couldn't really answer that question as I did not consider the 5-25.

Would 5x more have made any difference? Probably not.
For that matter, the weight probably wouldn't either. Once you get into that realm of scopes - they are all pigs.

I loved that scope, but I tripped it already.

OP
Antares

Antares

WKR
How did you like this? I am in your same boat.

I like it fine, not regrets, works like it should. It is big and heavy though. It's currently on a 14+ pound Tikka 6.5CM in a Bravo chassis.

I have since gotten two NXS 2.5-10x42s. That's what I have on my hunting rifles. Those are my favorite scopes at this point. The 3.5-15 is 30oz and the 2.5-10 is 20oz. I don't think you loose much with the 2.5-10 (except 10oz).

SDHNTR

WKR
For the reasons already stated, I also was not a fan of the little NX8. Imo, for a hunter who wants to stretch things out, the best scopes in the NF line up are:

The NXS 3.5-15 in SFP (very easy to get behind, not too much zoom, well kinda)
Or
The NX8 4-32 in FFP.

That said, I’d love ATACR glass in an NXS package, or an NX5 or 6 without the big zoom.

There’s no flies on a NXS 2.5-10x42 either, if you don’t need the mag.

Last edited:

amassi

WKR
Agreed I think we’d all make room in our safes for a nightforce atacr 30mm 3-12x42, 4-16x44 ffp with a nice bold mil dot reticle and under 24 oz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SDHNTR

WKR
Agreed I think we’d all make room in our safes for a nightforce atacr 30mm 3-12x42, 4-16x44 ffp with a nice bold mil dot reticle and under 24 oz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’d back up the truck!