Thoughts on this chamber (borescope)

Wapiti1

WKR
One turn (assuming the headspace was right and 16tpi) would be .062"

If your smith chucks it up and takes a cut, he can see if it cleaned up.....then index your marks.

If your bedding was beyond the shank, it may alter the appearance up there too.

It would take a pretty good chip weld to get that many rings. That is an impressive mess.
Wrench, I would suspect that he used a rougher reamer and no finish. At least, that is what it looks like to me. I don't see the spiral you get with packed chips when you withdraw the reamer. Could also just be a super dull reamer. That said, it's hard to judge in the video.

Just my 2 cents on root cause. Correction has been well covered by you and others.

Jeremy

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Wrench, I would suspect that he used a rougher reamer and no finish. At least, that is what it looks like to me. I don't see the spiral you get with packed chips when you withdraw the reamer. Could also just be a super dull reamer. That said, it's hard to judge in the video.

Just my 2 cents on root cause. Correction has been well covered by you and others.

Jeremy
That’s what Fritz said. He said he didn’t use a finish reamer and didn’t polish it, which is basic stuff. He’s not sure why. He said that he’d be shocked if that’s how he turned out barrels normally.

That’s what Fritz said. He said he didn’t use a finish reamer and didn’t polish it, which is basic stuff. He’s not sure why. He said that he’d be shocked if that’s how he turned out barrels normally.
That's what happens when you get overloaded with work, way behind schedule and start cutting corners to make up time. Most people shoot factory ammo and wouldn't know the difference, wouldn't have trouble with 3X brass and wouldn't own a borescope.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
That's what happens when you get overloaded with work, way behind schedule and start cutting corners to make up time. Most people shoot factory ammo and wouldn't know the difference, wouldn't have trouble with 3X brass and wouldn't own a borescope.
So he knew it, just got around it with most people? I know he was super busy and talked about how many guns he was doing.

So he knew it, just got around it with most people? I know he was super busy and talked about how many guns he was doing.
I can't speak for him, but there's only two ways to increase production, either add capacity or cut corners. Most people, especially Fudds, would never even know there was anything wrong with it as long as it shot minute of deer. Shooting factory ammo exclusively will mask a lot of issues as long as the accuracy is acceptable.

Lawnboi

WKR
Makes you appreciate a good smith….

Was this your first customish rifle?
Id guess that’s exactly correct, with my tikka build, that I also received with it not feeding and a bum barrel, different original smith though.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Makes you appreciate a good smith….

Was this your first customish rifle?

Id guess that’s exactly correct, with my tikka build, that I also received with it not feeding and a bum barrel, different original smith though.
Yeah first one.

Wapiti1

WKR
Or just don't know what you are doing.

Jeremy

Jeremy
I don't think the 'smith would have made it this far and built a customer base without the appropriate knowledge. At some point I think it just got bigger than he could handle and quality started slipping.

Or he simply doesn't know what he's doing. No excuse either way.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR

Jeremy
He does a LOT of guns. Both full custom and semi-custom upgrades on tikkas and others. I’d be shocked if he didn’t know. Its all starting to come together now, especially when he was bragging about how many guns he had waiting to finish.

He did blame the throating issue, he throated it .100” longer than he was supposed to on the guys working for him.

Lawnboi

WKR
Yeah first one.
My nightmare was also my first. Thankfully I ended up with something operational, atleast so far, and only out a couple hundred dollars and a 1.25 years of time. Luckily after that I found some good smiths and got some work done the way you would expect when paying that kind of money.

For example how many guys out there are using gen 1 alpine hunter stocks with under 2 threads holding onto the back of that action…. How a claimed professional rifle smith can overlook something like that, along with not feeding and a hideous barrel gap blows my mind, all while charging upwards of $2000.

If this doesn’t work, buy a bartlein, benchmark or Krieger blank and have it done by someone who will hopefully do a much better job. It will be cheaper and less stress in the long run.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
My nightmare was also my first. Thankfully I ended up with something operational, atleast so far, and only out a couple hundred dollars and a 1.25 years of time. Luckily after that I found some good smiths and got some work done the way you would expect when paying that kind of money.

For example how many guys out there are using gen 1 alpine hunter stocks with under 2 threads holding onto the back of that action…. How a claimed professional rifle smith can overlook something like that, along with not feeding and a hideous barrel gap blows my mind, all while charging upwards of $2000.
It’s like finding a good mechanic. Luckily I found that guy and he’s 30 minutes away. My next semi custom will go to him.

Every shop makes mistakes eventually, it's how they handle the mistakes that makes me either a lifetime customer or a one time customer.

I had a very expensive custom rifle built by one of the best shops in the country several years ago. Once I received it, it was chambered in the wrong cartridge! They replaced the barrel and chambered it to the correct cartridge, they paid shipping both ways and had the work completed in 10 days. That's why I continue to use them.

Wapiti1

WKR
He does a LOT of guns. Both full custom and semi-custom upgrades on tikkas and others. I’d be shocked if he didn’t know. Its all starting to come together now, especially when he was bragging about how many guns he had waiting to finish.

He did blame the throating issue, he throated it .100” longer than he was supposed to on the guys working for him.
Maybe he does, but when you say "Guys working for him"? That opens up a can of worms.

My comment was based on how a barrel is chambered. It's done in one setup, and the barrel never leaves the lathe. If it does leave the lathe, bad shit usually happened. It's not a batch operation where you rough a bunch of barrels, then finish them tomorrow.

If I am right, and they didn't use a finisher, just a rougher reamer, whoever did it doesn't know what they are doing. It's hard to mistake a rougher for a finisher. I could be wrong on the root cause, though. All of this is total speculation by the internet at large.

Jeremy

Savagenut

WKR
A gunSmith that won’t do shouldered barrels is not a gunsmith. He’s a machinist that works on guns

Wrench

WKR
My comment was based on how a barrel is chambered. It's done in one setup, and the barrel never leaves the lathe. If it does leave the lathe, bad shit usually happened. It's not a batch operation where you rough a bunch of barrels, then finish them tomorrow.

That's no shit.

The first proof I did slipped in the spider because I was afraid to get on it too hard.

I shit my pants and spent the next half hour sweating trying to get back to zero halfway through the cut.

Those that know, know.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
That's no shit.

The first proof I did slipped in the spider because I was afraid to get on it too hard.

I shit my pants and spent the next half hour sweating trying to get back to zero halfway through the cut.

Those that know, know.
The smith said that. He said he’d have to do it by hand and feel because once it leaves the lathe you can never get it back to the exact same position.

Wrench

WKR
It's possible. I have a 2.75" stylus and a couple 50 millionth indicators.....but it is the most frustrating part of the whole job....and if you cheap out, you just wasted your money.

gbflyer

WKR
There’s a million ways to make a reamer follow a hole. It’s kinda like 2 surgeons, the only thing they can agree on is that a third has no idea. End of the day, the proof is on the paper. Hope you end up with something that works for you. What is the most baffling to me is the feed problem, I read it is as a separate issue unless I missed something along the thread. What is going on there? I cannot fathom how a Tikka would get muffed in that regard.