Tibet vs Hanwag Alaska

kipper09

WKR
So I been on the never ending boot hunt. I have been wearing Lowa cevedales getting ready for my hunt in Alaska this year. And they really lock my heel in and the width is about right. But I am having some issues on super long hikes with heavier weight my foot is cramping. I almost think they are too stiff?!?!?. I have a pair of Hoffman Explorer that are pretty good but I think they are a touch too short. So I’m thinking about snagging something different this week to try to get plenty of time for break in and all that. I’m considering the Lowa Tibet and Hanwag Alaska or am open to listening to any other input. It’s a backpack sheep hunt I’m going on just for clarification. Thanks fellas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oake

Lil-Rokslider
Have you replaced the insoles in the Cevedales? I read a lot about folks needing to replace Lowa insoles with aftermarket brands.

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
I tried the stock they sucked. So I put Lathrop and sons in them and I like that insole alot

I have been wearing the Tibet GTX's for a few years and I love their comfort and stiffness. I've had problems with my feet hurting after about 6 miles in all my other boots. That's not the case with Tibet's. My big issue with the Tibet's is they are not very waterproof. They are fine for crossing streams, but for all day hiking in snow, they are horrible. I already sent back one pair to Gore-Tex and got a replacement pair. Now, I am ready to send back the replacement pair. It's too bad because they are so comfortable. I just can't have a boot that isn't waterproof. I have a buddy who has returned probably 5 or 6 pairs of Lowa's because they leak.

When I chose the Tibet's, I also had a Hanwag Alaska GTX boot to compare it to. I liked the Hanwag too, but there was a little bit of heal slip, so I went with the Tibet. I have a wide fore-foot and a narrow heal, so getting the right fit is difficult. I am thinking that I am going to try a Crispi boot now...probably the Idaho GTX. I have read that Crispi infuses the Gore-Tex bootie in them a little differently and they don't have as many problems with leaks as much. The Idaho isn't quite as stiff, so I am rolling the dice on the comfort.

I also always put my own insole in all my shoes. Most stock insoles in boots are throw-away's anymore.

That’s me...narrow heel that will slip around in most boots. I’m breaking in a new pair of Tibets with about 50 miles on them now. Love them. Great fit. I’m real disappointed to think they may not be good in snow, especially since they seem to handle creek crossings dry as bone.

Mike 338

WKR
No expert here but if my feet will cramp like crazy at bed time, during the first part of the hunt. You just walk differently with a pack in the steeps and l lot of it is on the ball of your foot. I like the blue Superfeet. The green ones had to much arch. Ultimately, what seems to make the most difference is just time doing that type of activity under like conditions but the insoles were a must. Those Sherpas wear sandals but they do it every day.

wyodan

WKR
The Hanwags have been my favorite boots for about 6 years now. I'm wearing the Ancash this year, but have worn the Alaska many times. They are the only boots that I have no heel slip with. Plus if you are willing to wait for shipping, you can get them significantly cheaper online.

Mike 338

WKR
I have been wearing the Tibet GTX's for a few years and I love their comfort and stiffness. I've had problems with my feet hurting after about 6 miles in all my other boots. That's not the case with Tibet's. My big issue with the Tibet's is they are not very waterproof. They are fine for crossing streams, but for all day hiking in snow, they are horrible. I already sent back one pair to Gore-Tex and got a replacement pair. Now, I am ready to send back the replacement pair. It's too bad because they are so comfortable. I just can't have a boot that isn't waterproof. I have a buddy who has returned probably 5 or 6 pairs of Lowa's because they leak.

When I chose the Tibet's, I also had a Hanwag Alaska GTX boot to compare it to. I liked the Hanwag too, but there was a little bit of heal slip, so I went with the Tibet. I have a wide fore-foot and a narrow heal, so getting the right fit is difficult. I am thinking that I am going to try a Crispi boot now...probably the Idaho GTX. I have read that Crispi infuses the Gore-Tex bootie in them a little differently and they don't have as many problems with leaks as much. The Idaho isn't quite as stiff, so I am rolling the dice on the comfort.

I also always put my own insole in all my shoes. Most stock insoles in boots are throw-away's anymore.

Yikes, I just ordered a pair of Tibets Hi from REI. Good return police which is why I got them there. Still plenty of snow for a long time to see if they want to fail the waterproof test. Stream crossing are a very weak test. Rain/wet snow all day and wet grass for miles is where it's at.

Maybe you'll have better luck than me with the Tibet's. I have been out 3 times this Spring shed hunting and have had soaking wet boots all 3 times. I finally had to invest in a boot dryer. I will be sending them back shortly. My buddy has also had wet feet this Spring until he went with his insulated Lowa's. I don't remember which model they are, but he didn't have wet feet in them. Even gaiters covering most of the boot hasn't helped.

i tried both and settled on the hanwag. all around they fit my feet better especially in my heel. my only complaint is they aren’t quite as stiff as i like.

rm06

WKR
So I been on the never ending boot hunt. I have been wearing Lowa cevedales getting ready for my hunt in Alaska this year. And they really lock my heel in and the width is about right. But I am having some issues on super long hikes with heavier weight my foot is cramping. I almost think they are too stiff?!?!?. I have a pair of Hoffman Explorer that are pretty good but I think they are a touch too short. So I’m thinking about snagging something different this week to try to get plenty of time for break in and all that. I’m considering the Lowa Tibet and Hanwag Alaska or am open to listening to any other input. It’s a backpack sheep hunt I’m going on just for clarification. Thanks fellas

In my experience, the Tibet is a very different fit than the Cevedale, go try them out and maybe they'll be the ticket for you. For me, foot cramping is usually a result of being laced too tightly for the terrain, I'm imagining "super long hikes" aren't necessarily steep or technical. I think the Cevedale sucks for this as was well but they're worth their weight in gold when you need them

The Alaska’s had too much volume in front of ankle/top of foot for me to keep my feet in place. Might work if you have higher volume feet. Oddly enough I had to get rid of my cevedales because the lacing caused a pressure point in that same spot when going downhill. By the 4th load out with a bull a few years back my feet were really pissed.

Brooks

WKR
I’ve never been to Alaska with them but my Lowa Tibet’s have been great right out of the box here in the mountains of southern N.M. . I did put some Crispi’s boot cream on them and sprayed them with waterproofing boot spray before hiking . Really comfortable boots and made for rugged , backpacking country, mine fit like a glove.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Maybe you'll have better luck than me with the Tibet's. I have been out 3 times this Spring shed hunting and have had soaking wet boots all 3 times. I finally had to invest in a boot dryer. I will be sending them back shortly. My buddy has also had wet feet this Spring until he went with his insulated Lowa's. I don't remember which model they are, but he didn't have wet feet in them. Even gaiters covering most of the boot hasn't helped.

Are you 100% certain you’re taking care of your boots? After each trip make sure you clean and wax your boots properly and they will be as “waterproof” as a boot can get for years. I’m religious about leather/gortex care after I’ve had those materials fail many times from boots to gortex jackets. Dirt and sweat destroy these materials in turn causing them to fail.

The Hanwags have been my favorite boots for about 6 years now. I'm wearing the Ancash this year, but have worn the Alaska many times. They are the only boots that I have no heel slip with. Plus if you are willing to wait for shipping, you can get them significantly cheaper online.
I’m going to buy Hanwag Alaska GTX through online shop, so can you give me some advice about the size, is it true in live or maybe they are slightly larger/smaller? My foot is 27 centimeters, I’m thinking about 42.5(eu), is it right?

wapitibob

WKR
My Cevedale Pro's didn't go 50 miles before they started leaking. I then went to the Hanwag
Alaska. I have had them for a several years but no real mileage on them and no real moisture. The boot volume is slightly less in the Hanwag than the Cevedale. I was using a different insole in the Cevedale and had to go to the Lathrop for proper fit.

Greenbelt

Lil-Rokslider
I've been wearing Alaska's for 3 yrs. They are stiff (I love a stiff boot). I've had them on deer hunting in 70 degrees and chukar hunting (absolute roughest hunting you'll do) in the snow. They have stood up to everything with very little break in time and no heel slip.

I’m going to buy Hanwag Alaska GTX through online shop, so can you give me some advice about the size, is it true in live or maybe they are slightly larger/smaller? My foot is 27 centimeters, I’m thinking about 42.5(eu), is it right?
my yukon’s fit to size, Im a 12 in altra, and columbia's also