Tikka build or Seekins Havak element

Bowtech55

FNG
Been looking into a lightweight hunting rifle to shoot out to 800 yards or so for elk and deer. Been interested in the 7 prc. I have narrowed it down to two options, tikka action with a proof barrel and peak 44 stock or buy the seekins havak element. They would come out to similar weights. I do plan on reloading after fireforming some brass. Was curious if anyone has advice or experience with either rifle. The element would cost a little bit more $$ but I’m not concerned with spending just a little more. Open to any and all advice thank you.

Gila

WKR
I would go with the Seekins for a 7 PRC. You can handload any bullet you want to and won’t run into a magazine length limitation. The hunters around here who build a 7 PRC on a Tikka action tend to load a 180 ELD-M to mag length which is 3.34”. I have no idea how those loads shoot. Good luck trying to find 180 ELD-M bullets right now.

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought a Seekins Element in 6.5prc and it is a lot of gun for the money. Also, I have called and emailed Seekins on a few questions and their customer service is out of this world helpful.

Juan_ID

WKR
I would go with the Seekins for a 7 PRC. You can handload any bullet you want to and won’t run into a magazine length limitation. The hunters around here who build a 7 PRC on a Tikka action tend to load a 180 ELD-M to mag length which is 3.34”. I have no idea how those loads shoot. Good luck trying to find 180 ELD-M bullets right now.
Here
Here
And here

stan_wa

Lil-Rokslider
i am very happy with my seekins, , a element and tika with a stock and custom barrel are pretty similar in price. with full custom you get your own thing. I would advise you use Unknown muntions for a prefit barrel and get a rock stok if you want to go custom. if you want the easy button get the seekins my 28 nos element is excellent in every way.

tmorty

FNG
Tikka again and again, that t3x action is money and when or if you burn out a barrel that action is much more capable and user friendly than the seekins. i own a tikka and several custom actions, if i were starting over ide go tikka everything and swap barrels as i pleased.

bergie

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought a Seekins Element in 6.5prc and it is a lot of gun for the money. Also, I have called and emailed Seekins on a few questions and their customer service is out of this world helpful.
Just bought the same gun and had the exact same experience with customer service as I was doing research prior to purchasing. They also offer a tour of the factory if you are anywhere close to Lewison ,ID. Lifetime warranty and accuracy guarantee pretty much sold me on it but customer service closed the deal.

Nothing wrong with either, but they both have their pros and cons. With the tikka you get a smoother operating action (based off my personal comparison) and the options for prefits if you want. The stock that comes on the seekins rifles isn’t terrible, but it also isn’t the best. Something like the rokstock, manners, benchmark ibex, etc would definitely be a step above.

As mentioned with a steel barrel you could potentially have a better package going to tikka route for less money.

It’s a tough call because both setups would perform equally, both great platforms. It’s going to come down to personal preference on a few details like looks, action bolt throw, aftermarket parts/ support, etc.

eoperator

WKR
I'm not a fan of proof cf barrels, seekins would be my pick.

You will not be spotting many of your own shots with a 6lb element 7prc.

I'm not a fan of proof cf barrels, seekins would be my pick.

You will not be spotting many of your own shots with a 6lb element 7prc.

But you may get a spotted ring around your eye or nose from the scope!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sako300

WKR
I put a 5 port TI Pro on a Element Havak, and can spot hits with my 7 rem mag with 180 grain pills at 2915 fps
Spotting hits isn’t as hard as you think with an adequate brake. But, some like suppressed which won’t reduce recoil as much.
Use lower magnification on scopes with larger field of views to help spot hits as well!

eoperator

WKR
The hunters around here who build a 7 PRC on a Tikka action tend to load a 180 ELD-M to mag length which is 3.34”. I have no idea how those loads shoot. Good luck trying to find 180 ELD-M bullets right now.
Was the 7prc was not designed around the 180eldm to function in standard 3.34 mags?

My 7prc 180eldm load is 3.31" 175eldx was 3.30".

Gila

WKR
Was the 7prc was not designed around the 180eldm to function in standard 3.34 mags?

My 7prc 180eldm load is 3.31" 175eldx was 3.30".
Actually if you look at the SAAMI reamer specs, It shows that the 7 PRC SAAMI chamber is optimized to shoot 184-195 high BC (low drag) bullets. You won’t find any 7 PRC factory ammo with those longer and heavier bullets. It is because the COAL of those cartridges would exceed the SAAMI COAL specifications for a long action cartridge which is 3.34”. This conundrum is nothing new with long action cartridges. If you are happy loading those 180 elds to magazine length and it works for you then that’s just great. But if someone wants to load a 195 EOL for example, the cartridge OAL will probably exceed the Tikka magazine length. Seekins and some other rifle makers figured this out and have extended the maximum DBM length to accommodate those longer handloads.

Bfish22

Lil-Rokslider
The 180 eldm to the lands is 3.37” in a sammi chamber. So 3.34” will be fine in a tikka, if you want to hit the lands, some tikka mags will be close, otherwise get one of the aftermarket drop in mags that go to 3.4-3.41”. No worries with the 7 prc in a tikka.

Bfish22

Lil-Rokslider
Run the numbers between a 175 out of the prc at 3000 fps and the 195 at 2850 and you’ll see that all you gain with the 195 is recoil. Berger load data shows max loads with these two bullets about 150 fps apart with like powders and same barrel pretty much across the board before someone says well my 195 does 2950. If it does, a 175 would probably do 3100 in your chamber if you pushed it as hard.

Attachments

• IMG_4929.png
    IMG_4929.png
    191.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4928.png
    IMG_4928.png
    185.3 KB · Views: 27