Tikka build or Seekins Havak element

Gila

WKR
What can you do to add more COAL to a tikka?
You are pretty much stuck with 3.4“ using Tikka bottom metal dimensions. You can run AICS bottom metal for a T3x action that would give you 3.5”+ OAL but most after market stocks will not support it. From what I know Peak 44 probably can’t use it, but you could give them a call. Most folks use the Tikka T3x action for building on a short action cartridge and then seat the bullets long for their hand-loads. That is why I use the Tikka T3x action.

The aftermarket support for a Tikka is better now than it was a few years ago but is still limited. Nothing like the aftermarket support for a Rem 700 clone or one of the variants. Very few chassis support a long action AICS mag for a tikka t3x action. Short action mags in a chassis for a Tikka T3x action aren’t a problem. Of course if one is inclined to only use factory ammo or handload to SAAMI COAL of 3.34” for the 7 PRC then the above is moot.

You won’t find anyone more knowledgeable about AICS than Red

Bfish22

Lil-Rokslider
MT Gen 2 will do the same thing…more like 3.40. Beretta sells a similar mag for after market Tikka support. Not much of a gain is it…
Op stated planning on using 175-180 gr bullets, so would be more than enough and would save him $700 and an aspirin

Maybe he was asking in general though🤷

Last edited:
You are pretty much stuck with 3.4“ using Tikka bottom metal dimensions. You can run AICS bottom metal for a T3x action that would give you 3.5”+ OAL but most after market stocks will not support it. From what I know Peak 44 probably can’t use it, but you could give them a call. Most folks use the Tikka T3x action for building on a short action cartridge and then seat the bullets long for their hand-loads. That is why I use the Tikka T3x action.

The aftermarket support for a Tikka is better now than it was a few years ago but is still limited. Nothing like the aftermarket support for a Rem 700 clone or one of the variants. Very few chassis support a long action AICS mag for a tikka t3x action. Short action mags in a chassis for a Tikka T3x action aren’t a problem. Of course if one is inclined to only use factory ammo or handload to SAAMI COAL of 3.34” for the 7 PRC then the above is moot.

You won’t find anyone more knowledgeable about AICS than Red
I generally try to stay friendly on these types of discussions; however, you've posted a lot of the same "facts" about Tikkas frequently, and, quite frankly, its straight up misleading to anyone who would otherwise want to complete the process to accommodate longer COAL in their Tikkas. You either don't know fully of what you speak, you find catharsis in controversy, or you're trying to be deliberately obtuse. I mean, fiction can be fun, but I find the reference section more enlightening in technical matters.

If you paid $800 for an AICS conversion, it must be a little uncomfortable to sit down? Must be what the aspirin is for?

More COAL in a Tikka takes 4 simple steps: small notch in feed ramp, trim/grind a couple of thousandths off the front the trigger assembly, longer bolt stop and AICS bottom metal. The Atlasworx bottom metal fits 3.7 AICS and requires a little inletting of the stock or, alternately, fitting of the bottom metal to stock inlet dimensions. The process will work with most traditional/non chassis stocks.

An MT mag will get 3.4 without any modifications.

In the case of a 7 PRC in a Tikka, why would the vast majority worry about more COAL than 3.34 anyway?

Trimmed trigger on top with standard trigger on bottom:
IMG_20221128_175440.jpg

Longer bolt stop:
IMG_20221128_175626.jpg

3.715" AICS bottom metal that has been fitted to stock inlet.
17087205611675323954141715894479.jpg
Feed ramp notch on bottom:
IMG_20221128_175558.jpg

Last edited:

bmart2622

WKR
^^^^Thats a mic drop statement if there ever was one!!! Unfortunately his head will more than likely remain buried in the sand and he will more than likely continue to spew ignorance and misinformation!!! That was a very informative post though, thanks for sharing that!!!

^^^^Thats a mic drop statement if there ever was one!!! Unfortunately his head will more than likely remain buried in the sand and he will more than likely continue to spew ignorance and misinformation!!! That was a very informative post though, thanks for sharing that!!!
I do fully agree with Gila that short mag based cartridges are a great fit in a Tikka. Further, though I have done a few of the Tikka/AICS conversions, for context it was in the days before any of the PRC's were even a rumor, and it made more sense to do it for 7mm RM's, 280's, 338-06's and 300 WM's, etc, wherein COAL gains for high BC bullets were more impactful.

Given the status of what's currently available in the market place, I'd simply go 7 or 6.5 PRC on a Tikka, move on to worrying about something else, and commence stockpiling ammo, barrels and reloading components. If recoil is a factor, I'd go 6 CM, 6.5 CM or 7-08, which also shine in Tikka length actions.

I'll add that FWIW, I ran a few 7mm RM's with OEM twists, throats, and 3.34 mags, and none of them had any issues cutting tiny groups with long 175's loaded to SAAMI spec. Though there's certainly some gains to be had by going longer for that cartridge.

Last edited:
Been looking into a lightweight hunting rifle to shoot out to 800 yards or so for elk and deer. Been interested in the 7 prc. I have narrowed it down to two options, tikka action with a proof barrel and peak 44 stock or buy the seekins havak element. They would come out to similar weights. I do plan on reloading after fireforming some brass. Was curious if anyone has advice or experience with either rifle. The element would cost a little bit more $$ but I’m not concerned with spending just a little more. Open to any and all advice thank you.
I bought a Seekins Element in 7 PRC and haven't looked back. Used factory Hornady ammo for hunting season, worked great in all temperatures, finish has held up flawlessly.

Just started handloading, and the results have been incredible. 1/4 MOA groups using Berger 175 Elite Hunters and 195 EOL's. The accuracy I'm getting out of a 6lb hunting rifle has been a game changer for me. Tikka's are great, I don't know anyone who doesn't love theirs, but I'm definitely here to praise Seekins on their product. Zero disappointment.

Gila

WKR
I bought a Seekins Element in 7 PRC and haven't looked back. Used factory Hornady ammo for hunting season, worked great in all temperatures, finish has held up flawlessly.

Just started handloading, and the results have been incredible. 1/4 MOA groups using Berger 175 Elite Hunters and 195 EOL's. The accuracy I'm getting out of a 6lb hunting rifle has been a game changer for me. Tikka's are great, I don't know anyone who doesn't love theirs, but I'm definitely here to praise Seekins on their product. Zero disappointment.
Very nice rifle! Curious what your COAL is for the 195s and if you kiss the lands or not. Thanks

Said it before and I’ll say it again, Seekins are the easy button! Match grade accuracy out of the box, great stock, great trigger, great barrel (and length), great CQ, great customer service. I don’t see much of a difference between my Element and my Gunwerks Clymr as far as how they shot, handle, and hold…

If you are one to tinker with and customize, get the Tikka perhaps. If you want a rifle 100% ready to go and configured right out of the box, get the Seekins.

Last edited:

BurtonGus

FNG

How is the recoil? Are you shooting your rifle a lot at the range? Or is it more of a dedicated hunting rig? I really like the Seekins Element but I go round and round with the 6lb weight; easier to pack but more recoil…easier to pack but more recoil..
I’m curious your real world experience with the recoil.

I recently picked up a new Seekins HIT, has shot everything I’ve feed it under an inch at 100 yards (8-10 shots groups). I also have a tikka roughtech that shoots evening under an inch. Cheek riser and vertical grip are the only mods

So the outcome of both rifles are the same but I heavily prefer the tikka simply because of how smooth the action is and good the trigger with an aftermarket trigger spring. That’s not a dig on Seekins at all, they’re a great remage 700 setup but there’s just something different about the tikka

I was thinking about a PH 2 in a 6mm cm and still may but i think I will go the tikka route and put a different barrel on (tikka doesn’t currently offer 6cm)

Can’t go wrong with either and Seekins American made which I really like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bfish22

Lil-Rokslider
Very nice rifle! Curious what your COAL is for the 195s and if you kiss the lands or not. Thanks
Comparing his cbto measurement which is +.020” to mine, I’m guessing he’s in the 3.45ish coal range touching lands. My 7prc is 3.430” touching with 195s.

For the 195’s to the lands, I’ve seen ranges from 3.410”-3.47” across different forums