Tikka LA Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42 on Hawkins Precision High Rings

ajbailey21

Lil-Rokslider
I have looked around and found related topics, but nothing exactly as I need it. My action is shipped off getting a new carbon barrel from HCA in 7PRC. It will go in a XLR Element chassis when I get it back.

I ordered a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42 scope but don’t have it yet. I also ordered Hawkins Precision Tikka Rings in high. They appear to be around 4.5” to outside and 3” inside when spaced properly (I have a DNZ one piece mount I used to approximate spacing because I don’t have the action).

After reading a little bit I see that scope has 5.1” of mounting range and 3.3” of eye relief. I’m trying to decide if it’s all going to work out and let me get the scope back far enough for good eye relief.

Does anyone have this setup that can share experience or pictures? I’d like to get ahead of it and order right parts if it won’t work.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amassi

WKR
They’ll work but only leave 1/2” to move the scope back.
Return the Hawkins rings and get a set of sportsmatch or unknown munitions rings that use the dovetail and you can mount the scope wherever you like
T084 sportsmatch
Low unknown munitions

Last edited:

Gila

WKR
I would think with that chassis you would want to mount a 20 MOA pic rail to the action. Murphy Precision makes a pic rail that fits the Tikka T3x action perfectly. His pic rails probably don’t need to be bedded. I was going to bed mine but the mating surface fit without any gaps at all. I have a 34mm tube with a 50mm bell and use low rings. Still have about 3/8” clearance. You can move the scope anywhere along the rail for proper eye relief. Also more choices for rings…A ring choice like Talley ULs in low aren’t very wide so you can slide the scope around also.

I have this scope on my tikka with the low UM Rings which are 1.05 but that’s with the factory barrel

Attachments

• IMG_2409.png
    IMG_2409.png
    394.7 KB · Views: 31
OP
ajbailey21

ajbailey21

Lil-Rokslider
I have this scope on my tikka with the low UM Rings which are 1.05 but that’s with the factory barrel

You mind sharing a picture? UM rings use dovetail but would be good to see how far back you have the scope.

I
You mind sharing a picture? UM rings use dovetail but would be good to see how far back you have the scope.

I don’t have a picture and I just packaged up my barreled action to send to UM for a build. I have plenty of room for eye relief with the lows but again I am using a factory contour. I would buy the low rings from UM and if you don’t have enough eye relief they will swap out for the mediums no problem.

This guys is using the sportsmatch rings so you can see length of scope

OP
ajbailey21

ajbailey21

Lil-Rokslider
They’ll work but only leave 1/2” to move the scope back.
Return the Hawkins rings and get a set of sportsmatch or unknown munitions rings that use the dovetail and you can mount the scope wherever you like
T084 sportsmatch
Low unknown munitions

I just ordered some UM rings. I don't love the idea of them potentially covering up the ejection port a little, but it is what it is I guess. I think I prefer this option over a pic rail and other rings and I want to stick with this scope. Thanks for the help.

Dunky

WKR
I don’t have it currently mounted because I sent the barreled action off to get some work done but I set my NF 2.5-10 up on my tikka and the Sportsmatch ( UM would do same ) worked much better than the Hawkins I had on before for this short scope.

OP
ajbailey21

ajbailey21

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t have it currently mounted because I sent the barreled action off to get some work done but I set my NF 2.5-10 up on my tikka and the Sportsmatch ( UM would do same ) worked much better than the Hawkins I had on before for this short scope.
Good to know...any interference with the ejection port? If so, did you happen to try cycling a cartridge through?

OP
ajbailey21

ajbailey21

Lil-Rokslider
Good to know...any interference with the ejection port? If so, did you happen to try cycling a cartridge through?
Just found these pictures on the big UM ring thread.

OP
ajbailey21

ajbailey21

Lil-Rokslider
I did cycle several through and did have any problems
Awesome, thank you. This setup looks like it will be identical to mine.

philcox

WKR
I have the same set up, was using the Hawkins, long range, and couldn't get the scope relief. Decided to go with the unknown munitions, as I couldn't get sportmatch in a LOW. @ajbailey21 what did you end up going with?

OP
ajbailey21

ajbailey21

Lil-Rokslider
I have the same set up, was using the Hawkins, long range, and couldn't get the scope relief. Decided to go with the unknown munitions, as I couldn't get sportmatch in a LOW. @ajbailey21 what did you end up going with?

Some won’t approve, but I decided to go with a 20MOA base from area 419 and NF rings. I don’t need the 20MOA but I liked idea of it and flexibility with rings.

I bought some UMs and sent them back. Definitely great solution too.