Tikka - Sportsmatch ring spacing question

For those using the Sportsmatch rings on your Tikka T3 has anyone pushed the front mount all the way to the front to get a better ring spacing if using a longer scope? Currently I have the front scope ring mounted so that I can use the pin to keep it in place along with the side screws properly torqued to spec and this has worked great. I'm trying to put a new longer scope on the rifle and the ring spacing would be much better if I could move the front ring all the way forward - but then I can't use the extra pin. Has anyone had issues with the rings moving if not having the extra pin in place?? If so how did you solve the problem - I think I might be Ok since its a 7MM-08 and not a big magnum and scope isn't that heavy (19 ozs) but not sure if it could slip under recoil??

I tried to do a search since I think there was a thread about ring spacing using the Sportsmatch but can find it now. Anyway, any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated it.

I used the pin with my last two but don't think you'd see issues with proper torque on the factory dovetail, especially in non-mags. If concerned, just use a witness mark on the action behind or on the side of the ring in question. Sharpie or paint pen should do fine.

Edited

Last edited:
You could use the pinned ring on the rear, with a smaller pin to fit into the rifle
That could work, I guess I need to check under the back ring to see- didn't think on the T3 there was an extra hole in the receiver for a pin?? I know the T3X has one but not sure on the older T3 model. If so that would solve my problem thank you.

That could work, I guess I need to check under the back ring to see- didn't think on the T3 there was an extra hole in the receiver for a pin?? I know the T3X has one but not sure on the older T3 model. If so that would solve my problem thank you.

ahh shoot, I should have read your post closer. I know the t3x has a hole for the rear ring, not sure about a t3.

Edit to correct myself. A quick online image search shows the t3 has a front lug hole and the t3x appears to have both front and back.

Back