Sportsmatch TO48C questions

p5200

FNG
Hello, I was just curious about using these rings on a Tikka T3X Lite. For those who have used them, do they make and keep a firm grip on the 15mm dovetail? Also, is there just one arrestor pin or one on each ring? I've got a set coming tomorrow and just kinda wanted to know what I can expect. Thanks!

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
The one pin only fits in the large recoil lug hole. Push it all the way to the front.

I used 65 in/lb for rings to rail and 25 in/lb for the ring caps.

OP
P

p5200

FNG
I got the rings mounted semi tight now, I need to find a bit the correct size to use in my Fat Wrench. Measuring with my caliper the allen key measures right at 3mm. Can anyone confirm this to need a 3mm driver bit? Thanks!

OP
P

p5200

FNG
I'm a little confused, the torque directions say 38"lbs for 3mm hexagon screws and 55"lbs for 4mm hexagon screws. Are they talking about the threaded portion sizes or the allen key sizes? I'm just wondering because mine take 3mm allen key and when I tried to go to 55"lbs, I rounded out 2 of the screw heads? I might should have been going for 38"lbs instead of 55"lbs.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Is your wrench in in/lbs or ft/lbs? I had no issue torquing to 65 in/lbs on Saturday, the rings were purchased last month.

I forget the bit size I was using as I just found one that fit snug.

Lighter torque will probably work fine.

Last edited:

amassi

WKR
I'm a little confused, the torque directions say 38"lbs for 3mm hexagon screws and 55"lbs for 4mm hexagon screws. Are they talking about the threaded portion sizes or the allen key sizes? I'm just wondering because mine take 3mm allen key and when I tried to go to 55"lbs, I rounded out 2 of the screw heads? I might should have been going for 38"lbs instead of 55"lbs.

Key size
They have different size clamp screws (no rhyme or reason)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amassi

WKR
Please show me a torque spec sheet related to key size.

Like the one that came with the rings?
Or the email sportsmatch sent about the lower torque setting?
Maybe, and hear me out here, sportsmatch sourced some fasteners that were inferior and thus they recommended lower torque settings so as to not strip the head like the op did?

40” # is plenty to keep them on the dovetail regardless

OP
P

p5200

FNG
I've got a local place that specializes in fasteners. In fact, they are called Fastenell. I'm going to go there tomorrow and see if they can fit me with some better screws and just replace all 4 clamp screws. Also I going to try between 35 and 40 inch pounds. The wrench I'm using is the Fat Wrench. Thanks very much folks!

I've got a local place that specializes in fasteners. In fact, they are called Fastenell. I'm going to go there tomorrow and see if they can fit me with some better screws and just replace all 4 clamp screws. Also I going to try between 35 and 40 inch pounds. The wrench I'm using is the Fat Wrench. Thanks very much folks!
May want to call. To my knowledge fastenal only takes walk in customers for a few hours per week now.

amassi

WKR

They hold fine @ 40”#

OP
P

p5200

FNG
Well I got lucky, Fastenal had the screws I needed. They look almost identical too and for $3.97 for a box of 50 was well worth it. These are steel instead of aluminum. I torqued to 40"lbs and I'll see how that goes.

OP
P

p5200

FNG
I also like the torx head screws better but they didn't have any. At least maybe these black oxide alloy steel heads won't bugger up near as easy as the aluminum ones.