Tikka Super Light 300WM build

907to406

Lil-Rokslider
Since there are so many Tikka fans on here and always folks asking about Tikka builds I figured it was time to share my most recent Tikka project. I've been missing a heavy hitting .30 Caliber in my hunting rifle arsenal since I sold my 300RUM and 308 a few years back. My primary go to hunting rifle has been a semi custom Tikka 270WSM and it's helped me take a pile of elk, deer, antelope and even a moose over the years. I never had an issue putting game on the ground with the 270WSM but always felt a little under gunned in the back of my mind. Knowing I wanted to build off a Tikka action because of their simplicity and availability of aftermarket components and I own 5 other Tikkas so I'm pretty comfortable working on them. I decided to go with a 300 Win Mag in the Tikka. Below is a list of components, weights and costs for folks that are interested in doing something similar or have any questions.

RIFLE & COMPONENTS:
Rifle: Tikka T3X Superlite SS 300wm from sportsman
Price: $750.00
Weight: 6.00lbs/96oz

Mesa Precision Altitude Stock: RH, Factory Sporter contour fit, Mojave Camo
Price: $582.00
Weight: 24oz

Mountain Tactical Muzzle Brake and threading:
Price: $200.00
Weight:

Lumley Ti recoil lug
Price: $27.50
Weight: 0.5oz

*Lumley Ti/carbon fiber bolt knob/handle (ended up not using, see why below)
Price: $59.00
Weight: 28 grams

Bolt fluting from LRI Pattern A- High Helix
Price: $40.00 plus shipping
Weight reduction: start weight 6.7oz, finish weight 6.2oz

Mountain Tactical Bottom Metal Tikka T3/T3X Gen2 Performance Series OEM Bottom Metal
Price: $129.99
Weight: 2.2oz

Mountain Tactical Tikka T3/T3X Performance Series Bolt Shroud
Price: $59.99
Weight: 0.7oz

Mountain Tactical Tikka T3/T3X SS Long Action Bolt Stop
Price: $29.99

Mountain Tactical Tikka 12oz-24oz Trigger Spring
Price: $7.99

Mountain Tactical small “Outdoorsman” Bolt knob
Price: $39.00

High Velocity Hunting Australia Titanium Action Screws
Price: $40.00 plus $24.00 for shipping
Weight: 19 grams for both

OPTICS & RINGS:
Leupold VX-5HD 30MM Tube 3-15x44mm CDS-ZL2 w/Firedot duplex Reticle
Price: $999.00
Weight: 19.9oz

Leupold Alumina Flip Up Objective & eyepiece covers
Price: $120.00

DNZ 215 Tactical Tikka T3 21.5MOA Medium Height One piece scope mount
Price: $130.00 on sale
Weight: 4oz

THE BUILD

The purpose of this build was to put together a lightweight semi custom hunting rifle capable of taking deer,elk and other large North American game at various ranges between 50 yards-800 yards that was rugged enough to get banged around on the side of a horse and get thrown over a shoulder and carried through Montana and Alaska's unforgiving mountains while maintaining sub MOA accuracy; Yet keeping it budget conscious. Now having built a few different Tikkas over the years I knew the components I wanted to used but also wanted to try a few new things to cut weight.

I was really on the fence about a Wildcat composite stock or the Mesa. Ultimately the Mesa won out because I liked the stock design and it seemed to offer a more forgiving platform for those longer shots even if it did weight a few more Oz's. Upon receiving the Mesa Precision stock the action fit nice and tight and probably didn't need bedding if you wanted to run the recoil lug that comes with the stock. However I was trying to cut weight anywhere I could within reason so chose to run the Lumley Ti recoil lug which was a bit shorter than the steel lug in the stock so some bedding was in order. I bedded the Ti recoil lug into the Mesa stock, and around the rear and front mounting areas of the action screws to ensure a perfect fit. The next issue I ran into was the Mesa stock is just a bit taller than the factory Tikka stock so the High Velocity Hunting Ti action screws were just a touch too short to gain more than 1 thread into the action. To remedy this I simply recessed the already counter sunk bottom metal a bit more to gain more threads into the action. Do this very carefully and don't remove too much material. Again this could have been avoided by just using the action screws that Mesa sends with the stock but I spent a ridiculous amount of money on Ti action screws out of Australia so your damn right I was going to find a way to use them 😜 After everything was bedded and cleaned up I reassembled the rifle and decided to bed the scope mount as well. Normally I run Mountain Tactical's 20MOA rails and Nightforce Ultralight rings but I wanted to try a one piece mount with 20MOA built in while keeping it light so I decided to give the DNZ's a try. Jason at Mountain Tactical is working on a scope mount for Tikkas so I will probably switch over to one of those when they are ready.

I referenced these videos for Bedding the action and bedding the scope mount.

The reason I ended up not using the Lumley Ti bolt handle and Carbon fiber knob is simple, the Ti bolt stem did not fit into my bolt. It would bind up after about going 1/16 of an inch into my bolt (this was before cerakote). Now I probably could have sanded it down and made it work but Mountain Tacticals bolt stem weighs 0.2 OZ more than the Lumley bolt stem but it fit like a glove as does all of Jason's products at Mountain Tactical. The other thing I didn't like about the Lumley bolt knob and handle was the carbon fiber handle was obviously hand laid which is no big deal but it didn't match up with the bolt stem, leaving gaps and voids between handle and knob which I thought looked poor. I went with Mountain Tactical's small outdoorsman style knob giving a much slimmer profile than the Lumley set up and weighing the same as the carbon fiber handle. Anybody that has pulled a rifle in and out of a scabbard a half dozen times knows an oversized bolt knob becomes cumbersome and hangs up on things so overall I'm happy that I only gave up 0.2oz of weight but have a nice fitting low profile knob/handle.

I had Jason at Mountain Tactical do the brake on this rifle and he used a new design that he will be offering very soon along with a few other muzzle brake designs. I couldn't be more pumped on how it turned out and am excited to see how tames the recoil of the 300WM. You'll see in the photos it has ports on the top half of the brake and then ports out of the muzzle end of the brake which should do a fantastic job of mitigating muzzle rise and ground debris if shooting prone.

Jared at Montana Precision Coatings did the Cerakote and he did an outstanding job of matching the colors of the stock. His turn around was fast and he was great to work with, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend anybody to him for Cerakote, hydrodipping or airbrush work.

I just mounted the scope and bore sited it this morning and haven't had a chance to hit the range just yet but will keep you posted on how she shoots. Yes, yes I know it's late in the year to be developing a new rifle to hunt with this year but in all honesty I didn't even plan on having this done for this season so there is a good chance the 270WSM is the rifle I hunt with this year unless I can squeeze in a bunch of range time in the next month.thumbnail_IMG_4117.jpgthumbnail_IMG_4118.jpgthumbnail_IMG_4120.jpgthumbnail_IMG_4121.jpgthumbnail_IMG_4122.jpgthumbnail_IMG_4123.jpgthumbnail_IMG_4124.jpgthumbnail_IMG_4125.jpgthumbnail_IMG_4126.jpgthumbnail_IMG_4127.jpg

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Sweet build! Didn’t see a final weight though.

Muzzle brake is interesting, but anything in a hunting scenario with brakes out the bottom drives me crazy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
907to406

907to406

Lil-Rokslider
Need to get a new scale, the one I had crapped out. I’m guessing somewhere around 7lbs scoped. The bipod will not be part of the set up, it was just on for the photos. I’ll try to get a final weight asap

Last edited:
OP
907to406

907to406

Lil-Rokslider
Amazon dropped off my new scale today so I got a weight. 7.7lbs without 3 rounds so bare rifle without scope, scope caps and mount (-26oz) puts it right at 6lbs 1oz. I’m sure I could have gone lighter with the wildcat composites stock, lighter scope, butler creek scope covers, modified the Lumley bolt handle to fit and no cerakote. That being said after putting 40 rounds through it on Monday I don’t think I’d want to go any lighter from both a shooting standpoint as well as recoil. She’s a thumper.EC3BB271-1A7F-43E1-818A-F4136E15E482.jpeg

Lou400a

Lil-Rokslider
Great build and write up. I'm doing something similar only 7mm RM as its case is shorter and using Manners EH1. I'll be using Redsnake Tactical bottom metal that uses ASIC magazines and Hawkings 25MOA rings instead of base and rings. For now I'm not going to thread the barrel, but I may send it to LRI and have the bolt fluted same time.
What bullets are you using and what's your OAL?

If you ever decide to change brakes, don’t hesitate to give muzzle brakes and more a try. Their brakes are fairly lightweight and do an awesome job at taming recoil.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
That being said after putting 40 rounds through it on Monday I don’t think I’d want to go any lighter from both a shooting standpoint as well as recoil. She’s a thumper.

I bet you would see a big difference if you switched to an APA Micro Bastard or a Terminator brake. I've tested brakes similar to yours next to small side port slab brakes and the difference is surprising.

That rifle turned out really awesome though. Nice work.

That is a really nice build. I wondered what guys were saying when they said use a Tikka action and build a rifle and this is it.

Randonee

Lil-Rokslider
907to406: very cool build and thank you for providing all the details and logic about putting it together. I’m really wondering how it shoots. Any update would be great.

NWBLKTAIL

FNG
Since there are so many Tikka fans on here and always folks asking about Tikka builds I figured it was time to share my most recent Tikka project. I've been missing a heavy hitting .30 Caliber in my hunting rifle arsenal since I sold my 300RUM and 308 a few years back. My primary go to hunting rifle has been a semi custom Tikka 270WSM and it's helped me take a pile of elk, deer, antelope and even a moose over the years. I never had an issue putting game on the ground with the 270WSM but always felt a little under gunned in the back of my mind. Knowing I wanted to build off a Tikka action because of their simplicity and availability of aftermarket components and I own 5 other Tikkas so I'm pretty comfortable working on them. I decided to go with a 300 Win Mag in the Tikka. Below is a list of components, weights and costs for folks that are interested in doing something similar or have any questions.

RIFLE & COMPONENTS:
Rifle: Tikka T3X Superlite SS 300wm from sportsman
Price: $750.00
Weight: 6.00lbs/96oz

Mesa Precision Altitude Stock: RH, Factory Sporter contour fit, Mojave Camo
Price: $582.00
Weight: 24oz

Mountain Tactical Muzzle Brake and threading:
Price: $200.00
Weight:

Lumley Ti recoil lug
Price: $27.50
Weight: 0.5oz

*Lumley Ti/carbon fiber bolt knob/handle (ended up not using, see why below)
Price: $59.00
Weight: 28 grams

Bolt fluting from LRI Pattern A- High Helix
Price: $40.00 plus shipping
Weight reduction: start weight 6.7oz, finish weight 6.2oz

Mountain Tactical Bottom Metal Tikka T3/T3X Gen2 Performance Series OEM Bottom Metal
Price: $129.99
Weight: 2.2oz

Mountain Tactical Tikka T3/T3X Performance Series Bolt Shroud
Price: $59.99
Weight: 0.7oz

Mountain Tactical Tikka T3/T3X SS Long Action Bolt Stop
Price: $29.99

Mountain Tactical Tikka 12oz-24oz Trigger Spring
Price: $7.99

Mountain Tactical small “Outdoorsman” Bolt knob
Price: $39.00

High Velocity Hunting Australia Titanium Action Screws
Price: $40.00 plus $24.00 for shipping
Weight: 19 grams for both

OPTICS & RINGS:
Leupold VX-5HD 30MM Tube 3-15x44mm CDS-ZL2 w/Firedot duplex Reticle
Price: $999.00
Weight: 19.9oz

Leupold Alumina Flip Up Objective & eyepiece covers
Price: $120.00

DNZ 215 Tactical Tikka T3 21.5MOA Medium Height One piece scope mount
Price: $130.00 on sale
Weight: 4oz

THE BUILD

The purpose of this build was to put together a lightweight semi custom hunting rifle capable of taking deer,elk and other large North American game at various ranges between 50 yards-800 yards that was rugged enough to get banged around on the side of a horse and get thrown over a shoulder and carried through Montana and Alaska's unforgiving mountains while maintaining sub MOA accuracy; Yet keeping it budget conscious. Now having built a few different Tikkas over the years I knew the components I wanted to used but also wanted to try a few new things to cut weight.

I was really on the fence about a Wildcat composite stock or the Mesa. Ultimately the Mesa won out because I liked the stock design and it seemed to offer a more forgiving platform for those longer shots even if it did weight a few more Oz's. Upon receiving the Mesa Precision stock the action fit nice and tight and probably didn't need bedding if you wanted to run the recoil lug that comes with the stock. However I was trying to cut weight anywhere I could within reason so chose to run the Lumley Ti recoil lug which was a bit shorter than the steel lug in the stock so some bedding was in order. I bedded the Ti recoil lug into the Mesa stock, and around the rear and front mounting areas of the action screws to ensure a perfect fit. The next issue I ran into was the Mesa stock is just a bit taller than the factory Tikka stock so the High Velocity Hunting Ti action screws were just a touch too short to gain more than 1 thread into the action. To remedy this I simply recessed the already counter sunk bottom metal a bit more to gain more threads into the action. Do this very carefully and don't remove too much material. Again this could have been avoided by just using the action screws that Mesa sends with the stock but I spent a ridiculous amount of money on Ti action screws out of Australia so your damn right I was going to find a way to use them 😜 After everything was bedded and cleaned up I reassembled the rifle and decided to bed the scope mount as well. Normally I run Mountain Tactical's 20MOA rails and Nightforce Ultralight rings but I wanted to try a one piece mount with 20MOA built in while keeping it light so I decided to give the DNZ's a try. Jason at Mountain Tactical is working on a scope mount for Tikkas so I will probably switch over to one of those when they are ready.

I referenced these videos for Bedding the action and bedding the scope mount.

The reason I ended up not using the Lumley Ti bolt handle and Carbon fiber knob is simple, the Ti bolt stem did not fit into my bolt. It would bind up after about going 1/16 of an inch into my bolt (this was before cerakote). Now I probably could have sanded it down and made it work but Mountain Tacticals bolt stem weighs 0.2 OZ more than the Lumley bolt stem but it fit like a glove as does all of Jason's products at Mountain Tactical. The other thing I didn't like about the Lumley bolt knob and handle was the carbon fiber handle was obviously hand laid which is no big deal but it didn't match up with the bolt stem, leaving gaps and voids between handle and knob which I thought looked poor. I went with Mountain Tactical's small outdoorsman style knob giving a much slimmer profile than the Lumley set up and weighing the same as the carbon fiber handle. Anybody that has pulled a rifle in and out of a scabbard a half dozen times knows an oversized bolt knob becomes cumbersome and hangs up on things so overall I'm happy that I only gave up 0.2oz of weight but have a nice fitting low profile knob/handle.

I had Jason at Mountain Tactical do the brake on this rifle and he used a new design that he will be offering very soon along with a few other muzzle brake designs. I couldn't be more pumped on how it turned out and am excited to see how tames the recoil of the 300WM. You'll see in the photos it has ports on the top half of the brake and then ports out of the muzzle end of the brake which should do a fantastic job of mitigating muzzle rise and ground debris if shooting prone.

Jared at Montana Precision Coatings did the Cerakote and he did an outstanding job of matching the colors of the stock. His turn around was fast and he was great to work with, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend anybody to him for Cerakote, hydrodipping or airbrush work.

I just mounted the scope and bore sited it this morning and haven't had a chance to hit the range just yet but will keep you posted on how she shoots. Yes, yes I know it's late in the year to be developing a new rifle to hunt with this year but in all honesty I didn't even plan on having this done for this season so there is a good chance the 270WSM is the rifle I hunt with this year unless I can squeeze in a bunch of range time in the next month.View attachment 119583View attachment 119584View attachment 119585View attachment 119586View attachment 119587View attachment 119588View attachment 119589View attachment 119590View attachment 119591View attachment 119592
That’s a great finished product.

kingfisher

Lil-Rokslider
I'm super stolked to have found this thread. Its answered a lot of questions for me, and inspired me to move into a similar build.

Can you run 215 Berger's? Any limitations on coal? I'm trying to do research to see if aftermarket parts make the 300wm a viable option or if the 300wsm makes more sense given the limitations.