Tikka t3x stock barrel contour max and 7 SAUM questions

I’m rechambering my 270WSM into s 7 SAUM and putting a carbon barrel on it. How big of barrel have people put in the factory stock? Yes I know it’ll need opened up, but how big have people gone? Thinking a Barrlein #4 Bull Sporter Carbon or Proof sendero Lite which will probably be too big for sure I’m guessing? 22in barrel

Also has anybody tried any of the newer 145gr Badlands Bulldozer 2 bullets? What about in this cartridge?
Best non temp sensitive powders with this length of barrel and light of bullet?

Is ADG/Gunwerks brass king? I love their brass but I heard it’s a little less case capacity being that it’s thicker... Is this true? Should I go a different brass direction?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Kraze

FNG
I just put a Carbon Six Sendero contour (which I think is close to the Proof Sendero Light) into a T3x stock. Took a bit of work with a dremel and a drum sander on a drill, but it fits and is free floated. That's as big as I would personally go.

Kraze

FNG
Here you go. It's a 20" 7 Sherman Max. Kind of like a 7 SAUM improved. I'll be using ADG brass (seems to be the go to for the 7 SAUM from what I've heard). The stock does seem like it lost a little bit of rigidity. If I really try, I can just barely get the stock to touch the barrel. I haven't shot it yet to see if it will actually be a problem though. If it needs some stiffening, I'll just use some epoxy resin and pour it into the stock. I had to do that with a Howa that had a factory stock that was as stiff as a wet noodle and it worked well.

IMG_20200615_180027.jpgIMG_20200615_180044.jpg

OP
Gear-Reviewer
That looks awesome! I was contemplating the Sherman max but I already have the Saum reamer and dies. If saum dies would work, I’d be more tempted to do the max, but I don’t really want to rent the reamer AND purchase new dies. Thanks for the pics.

brushape

WKR
Here you go. It's a 20" 7 Sherman Max. Kind of like a 7 SAUM improved. I'll be using ADG brass (seems to be the go to for the 7 SAUM from what I've heard). The stock does seem like it lost a little bit of rigidity. If I really try, I can just barely get the stock to touch the barrel. I haven't shot it yet to see if it will actually be a problem though. If it needs some stiffening, I'll just use some epoxy resin and pour it into the stock. I had to do that with a Howa that had a factory stock that was as stiff as a wet noodle and it worked well.

View attachment 189740View attachment 189741

I’d love to hear what kind of velocity numbers that ends up putting out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
I eventually want a 7 SAUM....whole reason I bought my T3x7mm RM, actually. I dumped a bunch of epoxy stabilizer in the front of mine and did the world's ugliest bedding job (might need to fix that at some point)...now I just need to figure out how to get paint to stick to it. I took a Dremel/chisel to the ribs in the fore end and aggressively free floated the barrel while I was in there.

Kraze

FNG
Any updates on the load development
I ended up going with the 195 Bergers. Settled on a node that has them going right at 2,700 fps with RL26. Here's some data when I was working up the loads with both the 195 and 180 ELD-Ms.

****Standard disclaimer: These are max loads in my rifle. Start low and work up****

180 ELD-Ms, RL 26, .02 off the lands (COAL 3.034):

ELDM.PNG

195 Berger EOLs, RL 26, .02 off the lands (COAL 3.112):

Berger.PNG

Bolt lift started getting ever-so-slightly heavier at the top 2 charge weights, and the brass showed signs of pressure. Lowest charge weight is top left, then progresses as you go down, with top right case being the highest charge:

Brass.jpg

Also has anybody tried any of the newer 145gr Badlands Bulldozer 2 bullets? What about in this cartridge?
Best non temp sensitive powders with this length of barrel and light of bullet?

Is ADG/Gunwerks brass king? I love their brass but I heard it’s a little less case capacity being that it’s thicker... Is this true? Should I go a different brass direction?

Thanks!

I shoot ADG brass in a 6.5 saum and a 7 SAUM, but I’ve only shot ADG in the 7. I also have hornady, Norma, and R-P brass in 6.5. Virgin 6.5 ADG took more powder to get the same velocities as the Norma I was using but second firing seems pretty comparable which tells me case capacity differences are negligible.

For 145 bull dozers I’d look at h4350 or Rl16. I’m going to try h4350 with 145 cutting edge lazers in mine one of these days..