Tikka T3x Superlite 308 win with Vortex Viper HS 4-16x50 - Which Rings?

bsween8

FNG
Hello Roksliders,

My dad just picked up a Tikka T3x Superlite 308 win and a Vortex Viper HS 4-16x50 and we are trying to figure out our best option for rings.

I know this has been talked about a few times and I have read through a few of the existing threads, but I am looking to see if anyone has specific recommendations for rings for this setup?

New to the Tikka game so just looking to gain some insight. This will be a PA whitetail gun with pretty much all shots inside 200 yards.

Thanks!

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Can’t help with rings, but the old gen Viper HS scopes are notorious for failure if you over tighten the rings or get them too close to the turret. Be careful and attentive.

Three out of four failed in my group of friends. I have a special hatred for them… especially the one that failed on my first big game hunt making me miss.

OP
bsween8

bsween8

FNG
Can’t help with rings, but the old gen Viper HS scopes are notorious for failure if you over tighten the rings or get them too close to the turret. Be careful and attentive.

Three out of four failed in my group of friends. I have a special hatred for them… especially the one that failed on my first big game hunt making me miss.
Thanks for the info. What exactly failed with scopes? Did they just stop holding zero?

OP
bsween8

bsween8

FNG
So I caught my dad in time before he actually bought the vortex and asked him to hold off so I could do some more research.

Any recommendations on a scope for this gun? He is looking for a scope with magnification greater than 9x but less than 20x, MOA adjustments, and with a BDC reticle (he doesn't want to mess with any dialing and is familiar with MOA).

After some quick searching it looks like the Trijicon Huron would fit this description and is generally thought to be a better scope than the vortex, but there are concerns on eye relief. I also couldn't find a drop/field evaluation on the Huron. Anyone with any experience?

Thanks!

So I caught my dad in time before he actually bought the vortex and asked him to hold off so I could do some more research.

Any recommendations on a scope for this gun? He is looking for a scope with magnification greater than 9x but less than 20x, MOA adjustments, and with a BDC reticle (he doesn't want to mess with any dialing and is familiar with MOA).

After some quick searching it looks like the Trijicon Huron would fit this description and is generally thought to be a better scope than the vortex, but there are concerns on eye relief. I also couldn't find a drop/field evaluation on the Huron. Anyone with any experience?

Thanks!
Check out the Nightforce SHV 3-10 with the MOAR reticle if he wants holdover. Or the 4-14 if he wants a little more magnification. Also the new Maven seems to be doing great.

atmat

WKR
UM rings are nice but i'm plenty happy with the sportsmatch for half the price. I'd think the TO84 would work with most sub 50mm objective 30mm tubed scopes
Yeah, the T084s were never a problem before the UMs came out

OP
bsween8

bsween8

FNG
Check out the Nightforce SHV 3-10 with the MOAR reticle if he wants holdover. Or the 4-14 if he wants a little more magnification. Also the new Maven seems to be doing great.
I also suggested the SHV but he isn't a fan of the MOAR reticle. The Maven looks like a good option, thanks for the recommendation.

LightFoot

WKR
I have two Tikkas with the direct mount UM low rings and I haven't had any issues.

This. UM rings are the best option for Tikka… in my (not so humble) opinion.

The Sportsmatch, Warne, and Spuhr are also good… all for different reason.

Again, the UM rings will never not work. Reasonable cost, too.

>>>——JAKE——>

I have one T3 and three T3x’s. All wear DNZ Game Reaper mounts as do my Browning HCS, Browning A-Bolt and Remington Model 7. No problems.

sdupontjr

WKR
Not a lite, but a CTR. I used UM rings (med I think due to heavier barrel contour). I have a Trijicon credo 3-15x50 on it. You could probe use lows with a sporter barrel.
20231102_135046.jpg20231102_135101.jpg20231102_135117.jpg

Or my Lite has a Mountain tactical rail on it to give me options. I went with a 0 moa base with Vortex Precision match 34mm rings for my 4-16x56 Schmidt Bender Polar.
tikka Rail 2.jpgtikka Rail 4.jpgtikka.jpg

It's not rocket science. Pick the optic he wants, stack (pennies, nickles, whatever you want) on top of the action. Of course the action has to be level. Stack the ??? in a way about where the rings will be mounted. Be sure that both stack are the same height. A slight variation is ok but need to be as close as possible. Gently hold the optic on top of the stack to see if the optic clears the barrel. If it doesn't, add more to each stack. If it's too much, remove to get the optic as close to the barrel as possible. Once you get the gap to your liking, measure the stack. This is one measurement used in ring height or base/ring height.

Take half of the scope diameter.
For a 1" scope add .500 to the stack measurement.
For 30mm scope add .590 to the stack.
and so forth for larger objectives.

Manufacturers 90% of the time will measure from base to middle split line of the rings. So once you get you stack / scope measurement, you'll know what height rings i could use with my given setup.

OP
bsween8

bsween8

FNG
Not a lite, but a CTR. I used UM rings (med I think due to heavier barrel contour). I have a Trijicon credo 3-15x50 on it. You could probe use lows with a sporter barrel.
View attachment 651736View attachment 651737View attachment 651738

Or my Lite has a Mountain tactical rail on it to give me options. I went with a 0 moa base with Vortex Precision match 34mm rings for my 4-16x56 Schmidt Bender Polar.
View attachment 651739View attachment 651740View attachment 651741

It's not rocket science. Pick the optic he wants, stack (pennies, nickles, whatever you want) on top of the action. Of course the action has to be level. Stack the ??? in a way about where the rings will be mounted. Be sure that both stack are the same height. A slight variation is ok but need to be as close as possible. Gently hold the optic on top of the stack to see if the optic clears the barrel. If it doesn't, add more to each stack. If it's too much, remove to get the optic as close to the barrel as possible. Once you get the gap to your liking, measure the stack. This is one measurement used in ring height or base/ring height.

Take half of the scope diameter.
For a 1" scope add .500 to the stack measurement.
For 30mm scope add .590 to the stack.
and so forth for larger objectives.

Manufacturers 90% of the time will measure from base to middle split line of the rings. So once you get you stack / scope measurement, you'll know what height rings i could use with my given setup.
Great info and awesome rifles. Thanks for the reply and sharing the pictures.