Tikka updating 300 wsm twist rate- 1-10”

Well I could tell you, but apparently-

Touche! I will tell you I have complete ignorance on this topic other than a few hearsay comments, so I have no validated opinion on it.

Have you seen enough comparisons with other variables being similar enough to see a difference?

FYI, I have Sportsmatch rings mounted w your method to 27 on the ring screws, used your method on my action screws, have an swfa 3-9, and have a rokstock ordered 🤣

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Have you seen enough comparisons with other variables being similar enough to see a difference?

Yes. The difference in RPM between a 10” and 11” twist won’t make a noticeable difference with the 208gr ELD-M. A 1-8” and you would start to see some differences in some situations.

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
Yes. The difference in RPM between a 10” and 11” twist won’t make a noticeable difference with the 208gr ELD-M. A 1-8” and you would start to see some differences in some situations.
I have seen longer bullets veer in ballistics gel, I was told this can be mitigated with faster twist. Have you seen evidence of that?

kevlar88

Lil-Rokslider
I should say Europe has a very small minority of people who own guns, gun laws and ammunition regulations are debilitating and Europeans do not have many good affordable options with easy access. This friction prevents Europeans from being up to speed with new technologies despite Tikka being finish I be more fins hunt with mosins than Tikkas. Also Europe is mostly flat and heavily wooded so bc doesn't have much benefit as it does in US. It's amazing Tikka is updating their twists to the proper bare minimum so quickly. I would have expected another decade lol.

There are many more too. But the American bullet makers are driving the ship. You can't even buy Hornady or nosler in a lot of European countries. I think nosler is only sold in US and Canada. European consumer market is constrained to ammo that largely would not be beneficial for use in a 1:10. Technically 1:11 is more suitable for stubby bullets. You can get great stability out of partitions and a frames under all conditions. If Tikka is selling to finish people who cannot even buy an accubond or ELD-X a d they are shooting stubby cup n core bullets what insensitive is there to change other than American consumers.

I have lived in, hunted, and owned firearms in Europe for several years and you simply could not be more wrong. To substantiate this, I will say that there were situations that I felt more free traveling from country to country in Europe with a firearm then from state to state in the US. There was never a time that I couldn't get bullets from Hornady, Nosler, Sierra or any other American made bullets that my heart desired.

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
I have lived in, hunted, and owned firearms in Europe for several years and you simply could not be more wrong. To substantiate this, I will say that there were situations that I felt more free traveling from country to country in Europe with a firearm then from state to state in the US. There was never a time that I couldn't get bullets from Hornady, Nosler, Sierra or any other American made bullets that my heart desired.
Sorry for being an ignoramus poor choice of words on my part. I apologize for saying false things about people I do not know.

I'm also looking for a Tikka T3X Superlite in .300 WSM. Today I called around to several Sportsman's Warehouses and one shop had one on the display rack. He checked the paperwork and confirmed that it had been delivered in late Dec. 23', that it was a 1:11 twist, and FWIW.. that the barrel itself did NOT have the twist stamped on it.

He did say that if you order a T3X Superlite .300 WSM and it is not the 1:10 twist that you are after, you can get a refund. Maybe it's a safe wager in the coming weeks/month? I'll be a guinea pig and order one within the next week to my local Sportsman's WH and will report back my luck with this 1:10 I'm after.

Since you already have the 1:11 I wouldn’t sweat it. You will probably be able to everything you want elevation dependent. It’s just right on the edge so if buying new everybody would rather have a 1:10. Just don’t push the limits of stability with a suppressor on while testing. I think a lot of bullets say they need a faster twist than they really do. Especially ones with polymer tips.

Edit: forgot a word
Would the Tikka .300 WSM in 1:10 be a good candidate for a suppressor? What are the limitations with that? I probably won’t have my 1:10 threaded for a while once I get it, but would like to eventually. Thanks

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
Would the Tikka .300 WSM in 1:10 be a good candidate for a suppressor? What are the limitations with that? I probably won’t have my 1:10 threaded for a while once I get it, but would like to eventually. Thanks
Lots of people running supressed 300 wsms some might argue 308 is better but it depends on what range and what size game you plan to hunt.

Lots of people running supressed 300 wsms some might argue 308 is better but it depends on what range and what size game you plan to hunt.
Realistically, I’d like it to be my 600 yard and in backcountry setup. I’m a ways out from hand loading, so I’ll probably stick with a 178-180 grain factory load to start. But who knows.. I may enjoy it unsuppressed with ear pro and reap the 24” barrel rewards. My hopefull 1:10 ought to arrive in a few days from now, so I’ll report back.

Realistically, I’d like it to be my 600 yard and in backcountry setup. I’m a ways out from hand loading, so I’ll probably stick with a 178-180 grain factory load to start. But who knows.. I may enjoy it unsuppressed with ear pro and reap the 24” barrel rewards. My hopefull 1:10 ought to arrive in a few days from now, so I’ll report back.
And it will be primarily for moose, elk and bear

If you shoot factory ammo does it matter between 10:1 and 11:1?

Twist needs to be faster for longer bullets right? It has less to do with the mass (grain) and more to do with length and aspect ratio right?