Tikka vs Springfield vs Seekings

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have several Tikkas and a seekins havak element. Bogth are awesome but the Seekins is a nicer rifle with more features. Tikka may be the better utility hunting rifle though.

NWBLKTAIL

FNG
I’m in Alaska and there are no other options. This last year my gf shot a 54 inch bull at 350 yards one shot with a 140 ttsx out of a 7 mag
d1d1098176e4ac7e8116bd959ef2e7df.jpg

I have a video of it if I knew how to post vids I would

Another thing I can do is just get a 300 wm and I already have ammo for that as well and its more available

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
can you send me a link for your skiff? I like the look of that setup.
I have the tikka ember I really like it. threaded, fluted. if you are considering a seekins I assume the little extra for the stainless D18 barrel wont be a big deal as far as the tikka is concerned.

OP
Dbevans

Dbevans

Lil-Rokslider
Pulled the trigger on the tikka t3x d-18 vsx cabelas special in 300 wsm with a plan to upgrade to a manners stock eventually. It is a stainless barrel with a cerakote and 5/8 thread. Someone from my work commutes from oregon and he said I can order ammo to his house and he’ll bring it up once a month so Im not limited to just the ttsx. If I like this rifle I might need one in 223 for my ocean hunts.

what has been your experience in the field with respect to monos not performing a kill as well as a frangible bullet
Don't we know how they'll perform based on how they're designed? Monolithic bullets will poke a hole in an animal and pulverize the hell out of a rock on the other side of it. As far as terminal damage I don't think it's even in dispute that they're more about giving an exit hole than killing an animal immediately. My experience with monos was only a few deer I shot with Barnes TTSX bullets but that's what I saw as well as what the people who make the bullets are going for by all accounts. I wasn't aware anyone even tried to debate whether monos are as terminally damaging as frangible bullets.
with a plan to upgrade to a manners stock eventually
Get that order in ASAP then. For Manners you pay when the stock is actually ready to ship and the lead time is 8+ months normally.

OP, glad to hear you have a gun coming. Thanks for the patience on the bullet tangents.

To clarify, I was not contending that monos are frangible bullets unless designed as such to lose petals that some are doing. From experience the TTSX opens up quickly, shreds and chunks the vital tissue as it leaves a nice exit. It is not the liquefication and "wow" pictures many share here. However I have never questioned what the outcome would be.

My personal experience with monos over 30 seasons is 14 elk, 10 deer and 7 pronghorn with monos. Then there are elk, deer, hogs and pronghorn taken by family members using ammo I loaded with Barnes X, TSX or TTSX. None lost an animal, less than a handful needed a second shot and they don't go far if they don't go down more or less immediately. I got in on the early years of monos because I wanted penetration from many different angles that I know will reach the vitals when I do my part.

I have taken other big game not counted here with traditional bullets, however never left me feeling I was missing something with monos because traditional bullets didn't do things differently other than more lost meat across the board.

Last edited:

gerry35

WKR
Pulled the trigger on the tikka t3x d-18 vsx cabelas special in 300 wsm with a plan to upgrade to a manners stock eventually. It is a stainless barrel with a cerakote and 5/8 thread. Someone from my work commutes from oregon and he said I can order ammo to his house and he’ll bring it up once a month so Im not limited to just the ttsx. If I like this rifle I might need one in 223 for my ocean hunts.

The 300 WSM is nice in a Tikka because you can easily load out bullets longer with a different bolt stop and a different magazine if you get into reloading. For factory ammo the standard 2.9" magazine will work well. The 165 gr TTSX load will work well for any reasonable shot you will ever take. Doesn't hurt to try out other loads though and see what you like best. Congrats on your Tikka, you'll be happy with it.

OP
Dbevans

Dbevans

Lil-Rokslider
The 300 WSM is nice in a Tikka because you can easily load out bullets longer with a different bolt stop and a different magazine if you get into reloading. For factory ammo the standard 2.9" magazine will work well. The 165 gr TTSX load will work well for any reasonable shot you will ever take. Doesn't hurt to try out other loads though and see what you like best. Congrats on your Tikka, you'll be happy with it.

Thank you. I am thinking of trying norma bond strikes or 200 eldx

OP
Dbevans

Dbevans

Lil-Rokslider
a0dd95a557b565ed46b0ccfffcd34352.jpg

Ended up also finding a local deal I couldn’t turn down 300 prc. Zermatt origin action, 24 inch proof barrel, xlr element magnesium chassis