Tikka with Carbon barrel vs CA Ridgeline

It’s not as big of a deal as you make it to be. Also Proof offers a 1.13 shank barrel for their Tikka carbon prefits and certain carbon barrel blanks.
It definitely can be a big deal. Believe me. Yes, there are monkey ways to fix it but a prefit will never beat the quality of a skilled Smith fitting the barrel to the action. We have built lots and have fixed many problems. Just speaking from experience.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

EDIT: Thank you for pointing out the smaller diameter shanks for Tikka's. I had forgotten about them. You are correct.

tdhanses

WKR
Correct. "Head spacing tools" are not The correct way to fix them either. A skilled gunsmith with a lathe is the best. For a barrel blank, no chamber of threads, we charge 300 CAN to install the barrel. $300 gets you better tolerances as the barrel is fit to your action. Not threaded with a generic size.

My gunsmith built GA Precision’s bolt guns for 10 years before starting his own operation, he was pretty impressed with the Carbon 6 chambering and threading but maybe he was being nice. All I know is it shoots just as good as my full custom at half the price.

rhusby28

Lil-Rokslider
It definitely can be a big deal. Believe me. Yes, there are monkey ways to fix it but a prefit will never beat the quality of a skilled Smith fitting the barrel to the action. We have built lots and have fixed many problems.
emoji6.png
Just speaking from experience.

EDIT: Thank you for pointing out the smaller diameter shanks for Tikka's. I had forgotten about them. You are correct.
Ok, so your a gun smith. I’ve never met one that likes a prefit barrel. To each their own.

archp625

WKR
Hello all,

Wanting a 20” carbon barrel rifle, most likely 308, to use with a suppressor as a hunting rifle.

After crunching the numbers of buying a tikka T3 and getting a carbon barrel installed, it puts me at or even slightly above what I can get a Ridgeline on sale for (with a 20” barrel). Tikka would have the factory stock for a while and which would need to be shaved down to fit the carbon barrel

Which would choose and why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was/am in your same boat except for I owned a tikka t3. I crunched the numbers and doing the Tikka up like I wanted cost way more than the CA Mesa/Ridgeline. You can put a carbon barrel on the Tikka but you still would need to put a quality stock, bottom metal and bolt shroud to get it close to the CA. Then if you wanted to take it a step further and flute the bolt that would be even more.

I sold my T3 and will be buying a CA as soon as i decide on a caliber.

Dhbwa

WKR
I have an older (2-3 yrs) CA Ridgeline in 6.5CM. I like it well enough for the money. I have two LA T3’s at the ‘smith getting Proof Sendero Lite barrels. One in 6.5 CM and the other a 7-08 Ackley.
Not super impressed at the moment with the Proofs as the .284 is a little more crooked than what is normal. (No such thing as a straight tube. Including a rifle barrel)
Proof is in the pudding (pun intended)

khuber84

WKR
You can get a proof Tikka prefit in 308 20" long for 800$, already threaded/shouldered for your action at a matching diameter, plus muzzle is cut 5/8x24.

Unkept

FNG
I have a CA ridgeline in 300 prc that i can out shoot with a rem 783... i have over $4000 into the scope gun combo in the CA 300 prc and cant even get sub moa groups with hunting bullets have to shoot the heavy match rounds to get even close...... 783 bout $500 into the 30-06 and $300 was on the scope (used garage sale rifle) and a diy bedding and $50 trigger job and it shoots moa all day

currently im pricing out a tikka in 30-06, selling the CA 300 prc

OP
T
I have a CA ridgeline in 300 prc that i can out shoot with a rem 783... i have over $4000 into the scope gun combo in the CA 300 prc and cant even get sub moa groups with hunting bullets have to shoot the heavy match rounds to get even close...... 783 bout $500 into the 30-06 and $300 was on the scope (used garage sale rifle) and a diy bedding and $50 trigger job and it shoots moa all day

currently im pricing out a tikka in 30-06, selling the CA 300 prc

Similar issues with my Ridgeline in a 308....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just came here to say that my Tikkas with proof barrels shoot really good and have been happy with them. I did spend more on them than what a Ridgeline costs though