Tikka Woes

Geewhiz

WKR
@NMRN

Here is a link to last years cold bore challenge. 2 cold bore shots on separate days into a 10" circle at your self proclaimed maximum effective range. Proved to be much more difficult than most people anticipated, including myself.

That’s not how I read that but I’ll take it. Im certainly not trying to brag. My 8” plate is my standard. If I can’t hit that with a very high degree of certainty, it’s too far for me to shoot.

Not sure what the cbc is, but I’m pretty confident in that set up. I’ve shot at least rounds a week through it with the same load for the past year.

I live in Rio Rancho, New Mexico if anyone wants to get together to shoot.

I have access to an 800yd range in Albuquerque. I’d love to do the cold bore challenge myself and we could set your plate up at 600yds to verify.

Let me know!

OP
N

NMRN

FNG
I have access to an 800yd range in Albuquerque. I’d love to do the cold bore challenge myself and we could set your plate up at 600yds to verify.

Let me know!
I’m game. I’m off on Mondays. What’s your schedule like?

OP
N

NMRN

FNG

Let me know!
Where is there an 800 yard range in ABQ? I shoot in the Ojito wilderness

OP
N

NMRN

FNG
My schedule is garbage until April but usually Fridays or weekends are best for me.
Well stay in touch. I’m off on weekends too, but it’s harder to get out of the house. Hopefully I’ll shoot a bird in April and be free to shoot the rest of spring.

I’ve never been to Zia. Do they limit membership?

Well stay in touch. I’m off on weekends too, but it’s harder to get out of the house. Hopefully I’ll shoot a bird in April and be free to shoot the rest of spring.

I’ve never been to Zia. Do they limit membership?

Will do. Membership is limited to those that pay money

Tikkas get love here because they feed well, eject/extract reliably, the bolt doesn’t bind and the safeties work. Ie they are loved be cause they function correctly.

They historically shoot quite well most of the time, but I don’t think that’s why they are beloved.

personally, I’ve never found a factory rifle that functions as well consistently then mine, not my customs. Mostly for feeding, extracting and bolt binding. Luckily mine shoots 10 into under an inch so it covers that base as well. I did put mine in the manners as the stock leaves some to be desired but it is what it is, a plastic functional stock.

MAP1

Lil-Rokslider
Unless you want to jump to a $750 or more replacement stock stick with the factory. As mentioned it’s rigid with decent ergonomics, especially after adding a limbsaver, vertical grip, triad tactical stock pack and paint job. After modifications mine has grown on me.

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a Tikka fanboy since I shoot the wrong way and there isn't really a better option unless you go custom.

My 308 Superlite shoots anything with ridiculous accuracy. I have a stockpile of Wolf 308 steel cased that shoots under MOA that I plink with out to 800 yards. I've run just about everything through it (except copper) with good success. My 7 mag is a little more finicky, but I've gotten some very nice groups with it.

That said, I'm willing to bet its your handloads or bullet/powder combo that needs changing up.

OP
N

NMRN

FNG
Will do. Membership is limited to those that pay money
emoji2958.png

Tikkas get love here because they feed well, eject/extract reliably, the bolt doesn’t bind and the safeties work. Ie they are loved be cause they function correctly.

They historically shoot quite well most of the time, but I don’t think that’s why they are beloved.

personally, I’ve never found a factory rifle that functions as well consistently then mine, not my customs. Mostly for feeding, extracting and bolt binding. Luckily mine shoots 10 into under an inch so it covers that base as well. I did put mine in the manners as the stock leaves some to be desired but it is what it is, a plastic functional stock.
That’s fair, and the bolt is slick.
Unless you want to jump to a $750 or more replacement stock stick with the factory. As mentioned it’s rigid with decent ergonomics, especially after adding a limbsaver, vertical grip, triad tactical stock pack and paint job. After modifications mine has grown on me.
the vertical grip should be here next week. That will certainly help with my shooting

OP
N

NMRN

FNG
I'm a Tikka fanboy since I shoot the wrong way and there isn't really a better option unless you go custom.

My 308 Superlite shoots anything with ridiculous accuracy. I have a stockpile of Wolf 308 steel cased that shoots under MOA that I plink with out to 800 yards. I've run just about everything through it (except copper) with good success. My 7 mag is a little more finicky, but I've gotten some very nice groups with it.

That said, I'm willing to bet its your handloads or bullet/powder combo that needs changing up.
That’s definitely possible. I just used what I already had on hand, although I generally have good luck with one of the three powders I mentioned in that case capacity (sample size of three…lol)

I’ll bring my spare Stockys VG stock we can drop your tikka into. Other than trigger reach it’s about perfect.

Geewhiz

WKR
Where did I miss this??

Ya got me, I guess it was Wednesday.

post #277

TheCougar

WKR
Not really woes but…..

Bought a 7mm-08 t3x superlite kind of on a whim. Just wanted to see what the hype was about. So far…meh.

Round count is 137. I have a couple loads that shoot around 1 moa (5 round groups, I know).

Have an swfa 3-15 in a dnz low mount on it, and have the vertical grip on the way.

I’m not sure what I was expecting, but I’m just not really loving it. I absolutely hate the stock, but if it would consistently shoot better groups I would swap it. Is it too soon to punt? Is there something I’m missing?

I’m a new hand loader but I do load for a couple other guns with better results.
I think a lot of guys misunderstand the hype. A tikka isn’t some amazingly accurate 1/2 MOA factory rifle. What it is: high quality action and trigger, a good quality barrel, sufficiently accurate, lots of options for aftermarket, for around $700 for a stainless steel version if you look around. The whole package is what makes a Tikka attractive. I don’t think anyone is making the claim that they are the most accurate rifle out there. It’s bang for the buck. You can certainly buy or make a more accurate rifle (like the other one you have and mentioned), but I’m willing to bet it cost you a hell of a lot more than what you paid for the Tikka, and if you’re honest, probably not any more effective in the field.