"Tikka's just don't shoot good" - Gunwerks podcast

Bachto

WKR
I have been looking into getting a new gun for more long range shooting to replace my browning .270. I was looking into a Tikka as I heard they are really good gun for the money. I was listening to the Gunwerks long-range podcast and someone on their said something along the lines of "Everyone thinks Tikkas shoot good and I can tell you they just don't". What is the general consensus of the Tikka's? I was kind of set on the Tikka but now I am second guessing. I understand that they probably don't shoot good if you are comparing them to a $6000 custom Gunwerks rifle but just wanted some first hand accounts of them.

I own 3 tikkas. A .270 win, a .223, and a .338 win. Also, I am currently building a 6.5 PRC off of a tikka action. All 3 of my factory guns shoot sub MOA with all the factory loads I’ve put through them and under 1/2 MOA with my hand loads I’ve worked up. The stocks on them arnt the best but no gun for $600 will have a great stock. The other downside to them for guys who like to shoot hamdloads is the max coal of the mags. But other than those 2 things there isn’t a gun I’d rather hunt with for under $1000. Also, they’re crazy cheap to build off of if you don’t end up liking the gun. You can buy prefit barrels for $350-$400 and most gunsmiths (at least here in se Idaho) charge $150 to take off the barrel and screw on a new one. Triggers are great so you don’t need to buy a custom trigger and there’s plwnty of stock options now. Hard to beat that for a finished “custom” gun.

I believe that was said by Broz and what he was saying is not every tikka will shoot great. Some do but there is always a chance of getting one that doesn’t. Most of that podcast was discussing the cost of a Gunwerks build, other custom builds, and a semi custom build. After factoring in load development, gas to and from range, time, etc of a semi custom build sometimes it’s almost more cost effective to do a full custom. We have two T3X’s that shoot amazing but buying a production gun there is a risk it might not. Hope that helps

bsnedeker

WKR
I bought a t3x in 300 WM and I can tell you the rifle shoots better than I can. On my good days I'm putting 3 in the same hole as the picture above indicates. On my bad days I'm about 1-1.5 MOA.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I think most Tikkas shoot well. I have owned seven. But I've also had two that shot terrible. But online all Tikka's shoot .3" groups.

Tikka fanboys are a lot like Gunwerks fanboys.... "My rifle is the best" HAHA

Last edited:

Rob5589

WKR
The Tikka is a great gun for the money. It is possible to get one that isn't a shooter, like any brand. But as you can readily find, most are.

T3 lite's...'06 for me, 308 & 7-08 for my kids...all are between 0.5-0.7 MOA with me shooting and so you figure I am adding to the problem. Consistently get groups of about 3" at 500 yds w/ nosler accubonds on my '06...for 600 dollars...and still that good on my youngest kid's gun when I chopped it down to 16 1/4 and threaded it for him to throw a can on.

Tikka CTR in 6.5 I have taken over to raton new mexico and stretched out to 1k and I was keeping up with people with custom rifles on steel w/o issue.

Put a good butt pad on it and you have a lightweight rifle that can pretty much handle any distance I am going to be shooting animals at all day long and I still have money left to spend on glass.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I have shot and loaded for a lot of them. In my experience, they are one of the most consistently accurate factory rifles you can buy. In some cases, they are just as accurate as high-end customs.

But, they are not at all the same as a custom and there are good reasons to buy both. When you build a custom rifle you design it exactly the way you want it. You aren't limited by things like twist rate, mag length, barrel length, trigger, etc, etc.

With that being said, if a Tikka's specs cover what you want in a rifle I think you're flat stupid to pay for a custom just because.

I purchased my Tika T3 in August of 07. It is my go to hunting rifle that still shoots sub MOA. It sounds like Gunworks feels that factory Tika's are serious competition. I mean a 500 to 600 dollar rifle that holds it's own with their high dollar customs might be a bit more than they can take.

Please don't get me wrong, I am not knocking customs, but Tika's are just a well proven accurate rifle right out of the box.

I have a couple of rifles that will rival custom rifles in their accuracy and lethality. With that said, I have no doubt that the custom rifles will be more consistent than my 100% stock rifles.

It's kind of like alpha glass. You pay more for a incremental improvement. It is up to the individual to determine if it is worth it.

They seem to be a great option for factory rifles. I think his main point was that they don’t all shoot like people say they do in his experience.

I would rather roll the dice on a factory Tikka then on a Christianson or something at that price point. Fold the extra cash you saved on the $700 rifle compared to a $1200 rifle towards a quality optic, quality ammunition and a reliable set of rings and bases. A Limbsaver recoil pad for a Tikka is the best 40 bucks you can spend. When you decide you are ready for a higher end rifle, the existing goodies on the Tikka gets bolted onto the new setup.

I’ve never owned a Tika, but have had buddies who have. They seem to generally shoot well. At their price point I believe they’re a great value. Apparently others feel the same way, as indicated by their use and increasing availability of aftermarket parts. True, they won’t compare to a semi-custom or custom rifle. Gunwerks on the other hand does one thing really well...market themselves to hunters who, from my perspective, are buying into an idea that they can buy a rifle ‘system’ that will quickly get them to proficiency. There are much better custom gunsmiths out there than Gunwerks. There’s a reason that it’s hard to find competent precision hunting marksmen, MIL/LE or competitive shooters using Gunwerks rifles. 1,000 yards out of the box and a total round count of 20 per year....hell yeah I’m good to 1,000🙄

WCB

WKR
In todays day and age there are a ton of sub $1,000 rifles and a good number of sub $600 rifles that shoot as good if not better I bet than 90% of the "custom" guns out there. Even more so if you hand loaded for them. If you have the money go for it and spend $8,000-$10,000 on a gun. Thats a lot of load development and gas to make up the cost. If you don't get a custom Will you get the cool guy camo or tactical bolt knob, probably not.

I think most Tikkas shoot well. I have owned seven. But I've also had two that shot terrible. But online all Tikka's shoot .3" groups.

This is the truth. Everything made has "lemons" I have had 3 tikkas and the first could not hit the broadside of a barn. If your looking for reassurance that a tikka is a good place to start to get into LR shooting than my answer would be absolutely yes for the $.

BuckSnort

WKR
I think most Tikkas shoot well. I have owned seven. But I've also had two that shot terrible. But online all Tikka's shoot .3" groups ALL DAY LONG

@Ryan Avery I fixed it for you lol.... On a serious note, we have 3 in our safe and they all shoot really good.. We'll probably have 2 more to add this year..

elkguide

WKR
For the money a Tikka is a good value from my experience.

I don't like the fit and feel of their stocks or even the fit of the aftermarket stocks and thusly have sold all of the ones that I have had because of that and not because of their ability to put a bullet into a tight group off the bench. I just have many other breeds that carry better in the field to me. Get one in your hands and see if it fits you and then ask what glass to put on it!