tip for elk hunting in the snow

BuzzH

WKR
I don't know...I disagree with a lot of the advice given on this thread for hunting cow elk in the snow.

I don't leave the truck until I either see elk or hike to a good glassing point. I find elk on south slopes all the time in the winter/snow. Trying to hike and cover ground in deep snow on winter hunts is a joke, wont do it. There will be enough hiking when you actually find some elk, and the best way to do that is with glass and a vehicle. These aren't trophy hunts, they're meat gathering expeditions.

I would miss having snow shoes about like I would miss having an accordion in my pack.

Finding "a" track...and tracking it when hunting cows? Dumb idea when hunting cows IMO/E.

Snow camo? If you have it wear it, but its certainly not worth going out of your way to use or purchase and will not be a deal breaker in killing a cow elk.

A plastic sled for moving elk in the snow is solid advice though, have used them on maybe 20% of the late elk I've been involved with getting to a road.

Everyone has their preferred method...mine has been working pretty well for 20 years and I cant say for sure how many cow elk in the snow I've seen killed on just late hunts. I know I did see 5 cow elk killed in the snow just last week while I was hosting/helping friends. All on public land.

FC3DF179-4D66-419B-BE29-465591B9F780.jpeg

D5D61BDC-DE71-4D9F-89F7-666CB7BAB8A3.jpeg

89AFCC9E-9F92-4F31-9CB9-796CCC921F07.jpeg

Phaseolus

WKR
I think Buzz pretty much covered it. Having grown up in the Colorado Mtns and spent a lot of winter time skiing and camping the backcountry I wouldn’t go post holing anywhere where I might be dealing with elk.