Elk Hunting in New Mexico

Maverick1

WKR
I like your username, that’s good. Being in New Mexico I assume it is referencing the Spanish wording and is pronounced el-kunter. I have a brother named Mike, he also likes to hunt. When he heads deep into the bush we call him Mike Hunt.

@elkunter45 - what caliber rifle did you use to shoot the elk in your picture above? Can you tell me about the scope? Nice bull!

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Welcome. Great success rate, about 85%. Now days I'm strictly a meat hunter, so it's cows for me. I have about the same success rate.

OP
E
I like your username, that’s good. Being in New Mexico I assume it is referencing the Spanish wording and is pronounced el-kunter. I have a brother named Mike, he also likes to hunt. When he heads deep into the bush we call him Mike Hunt.

@elkunter45 - what caliber rifle did you use to shoot the elk in your picture above? Can you tell me about the scope? Nice bull!
I used four different rifles to shot the 11 elk. That elk in the picture was shot with a Howa action with a bartlin barrel in a 300 PRC cal. The scope is Zwarovski Z6 3-18x50 reloaded with a Hammer bullet

OP
E
I used four different rifles to shot the 11 elk. That elk in the picture was shot with a Howa action with a bartlin barrel in a 300 PRC cal. The scope is Zwarovski Z6 3-18x50 reloaded with a Hammer bullet
Troll, troll, troll your boat..........
You know It doesn't matter where you go or what you reply to there is always someone who always has to have a smart remark

THallock

FNG
New Mexico is a good state. I've drawn once in 9 years of trying. All public land hunting. I would go again if they ever give me a tag again !

I am new here, but I wanted to share my elk hunting experience with you.
I have hunted in New Mexico for 13 years and have harvested 11 elk one of the last ones I shot was in the 350 class.
Curious if you've hunted in Unit 4? Western end near Lumberton? Have a private hunt potentially lined up but do not know much about the area. Ranch is +/- 6,000 acres. Historically we've have hunted Colorado's Flat Tops Wilderness and in Gunnison, CO. This will be our first New Mexico trip.