Tips and advice for heading north for grouse

First off not looking for your spots I pretty much have nailed down the where. I'll be in Wisconsin about 45 minutes from the Michigan State line. Giving myself the opportunity to hunt both states if I need or want to. Should be hunting from Oct 18- Oct 26. Taking my wife (possibly my biggest challenge of the whole trip).

I know there are wolf's in the general area where I'm going but looks like most of the dog/wolf conflicts are more northwest of where I'll be.

Anything to watch out for, look for, things not to do to piss locals off.

Anywhere in the Nicolet or Chequamegon NF's. I own property south of Phillips and the hunting used to be unreal. Haven't hunted for grouse there in awhile, but I got to think their are birds everywhere.

Anywhere in the Nicolet or Chequamegon NF's. I own property south of Phillips and the hunting used to be unreal. Haven't hunted for grouse there in awhile, but I got to think their are birds everywhere.
That's what I keep hearing. Get north of highway 8 and get into the national forest.

I hunt both NE WI and upper central WI. Good populations of birds across northern WI. I wouldn't worry too much about the wolves. Sure there is a bird dog or two a year that is injured or killed buts that's out of thousands.

Hit the edges of 10 yr give or take aspen cuts. I like cuts that have some standing pine in them. Swamp edges early season Trail inside corners can also be good spots birds like to sit.

Remember your not aiming your pointing and shooting. Shoot with open chokes.

Have realistic expectations. The years of 20 flushes an hour are gone. Those dates should see woodcock so you should get plenty of shots.

As far as courtesy just don't hunt something if you see a truck parked there. If ya want to ground swat off the road or limb shoot it's up to you. Not my cup of tee. I like to see the dog work.

Just have fun. It's frustrating but when you connect it's great.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Anything is better than the 15 miles per flush here. I'd be ecstatic if we could kill a grouse a day and some how my wife knock one down during the trip. I've got two young dogs going so it's more about getting them on birds and getting them to figure it all out.

Back