Tips to get ready for the hunt

Beendare

WKR
Probably that time for a thread like this...I dunno about you guys...but I'm getting antsy. Any tips?

I ran across something while dialing in my Recurve. I was of course bare shaft testing for perfect arrow flight. It seems that I would shoot a couple good bare shafts...then a bad one. Spine issue? More likely a form issue.

I fiddled a little bit and it seems my anchor and grip on the string varied a little bit. I had a little deeper hook on some shots...gripped the string a little different, some of my cock fletches weren't indexed perfectly to hit my nose just right...I had to lean my head a little different on some shots.

Minor stuff? Yeah, but I can tell you it made an improvement in my accuracy. By shooting a bunch of bare shafts I was able to self diagnose the "Why" of poor arrow flight. Sure a guy can have someone video you shooting...which is another good way to find form flaws....but what I was finding is; Shooting multiple bare shafts in shooting sessions tightened up my form.

And we all know by now...form is EVERYTHING with these dang stick bows.

Lets pile those animals up with our sticks this season, best wishes to everyone.

GregB

WKR
I've been focusing on going through my shot process slowly and methodically to make sure I'm being consistent. I was setting my hook too deep and plucking the string on some shots, and if it wasn't that my bow hand was putting too much pressure one way or the other. I need to rotate a bare shaft into my groups more often to keep me honest. and not get so frustrated when I don't shoot well which makes everything worse.

Blind bale a dozen shots every day at 5 steps. Slow draw the bow to full anchor, pause....release. Keep the bow arm steady. Do NOT pay attention to accuracy. Build strength and steadiness. There is still plenty of time to improve your shot.

YankyMate

FNG
Always feel like my problem is I need to slow down while shooting. I'm going to go back to shoot one, pull one for a bit, that usually helps me take a breath and think in between shots.

Made some string silencers a couple of nights ago, finally feel like the bow is quiet enough.

Btaylor

WKR
Something I dont see talked about a lot is breathing. If you struggle with nerves when a shot opp on game is about to happen, incorporate breathing practice into your shooting practice. A lesson Dad taught me as a kid. Slow, controlled breathing improves accuracy and composure whether its on a target or a critter.

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
Something I dont see talked about a lot is breathing. If you struggle with nerves when a shot opp on game is about to happen, incorporate breathing practice into your shooting practice. A lesson Dad taught me as a kid. Slow, controlled breathing improves accuracy and composure whether its on a target or a critter.

Yep^ great point. I use breathing techniques when closing on an animal; 1 in, 4 out....keeps the nerves in check. I should probably incorporate that into my practice routine.

Funny story....... my hunting buddy said he was running wind sprints at his place and would then pick up his bow quickly and shoot his Mackenzie target....first one went 3' wide.

GLB

WKR
Getting ready for a big hunt like my upcoming moose hunt physical conditioning is very important to me. This and a perfect tuned bow builds confidence. I incorporate shooting with my workouts once my form is solid. Examples would be shooting a half dozen broadhead arrows immediately after a weighted pack hike (Ruck March ) or sandbag lift and carry to get the heart rate up prior to shooting.
Also practicing awkward shooting positions and shooting with the pack on.

I'm shooting for 15-20 minutes and hiking the hills around my home for two hours a day...everyday. A swift-paced forced march in preparation for next month. Can't kill an elk unless and until you can get to them. 99% of elk hunting is getting into a position where full draw is possible...1% of your time (maybe less) is spent actually shooting and if you are using a stickbow...you probably practice shooting at a smaller target from a greater distance than you will in the field. Hopefully this regimen is enough. Please let me be right about this Lord.

Last edited:

LostArra

WKR
I read some competitive coach advising 1-2 minutes between shots to insure full recovery and to evaluate your last shot. Most don't wait 30 seconds between shots. Endurance shooting is probably unnecessary unless you are going to war with a bow.

Btaylor

WKR
I read some competitive coach advising 1-2 minutes between shots to insure full recovery and to evaluate your last shot. Most don't wait 30 seconds between shots. Endurance shooting is probably unnecessary unless you are going to war with a bow.
Good advice if you are shooting indoors. Aint nobody got time to stand around that long in this heat and with these skeeters shooting outside. ;)