Fletch Orientation for Least Wear and Best Flight

Tilzbow

WKR
Assuming you’re shooting off the shelf, what fletch orientation have you found provides the least amount of wear on the feathers, the shelf and best flight?

Yesterday I messed around with trying to determine how to reduce wear on the shelf rug and fletch, I pulled out the pink lipstick and went to work. After about 15 shots and lots of lipstick smears on the shelf I found having the cock vane pointing down and the back aligned with the string vertically that I was getting zero contact on the shelf from that vane. Another vane was pointing directly at the riser and would leave a small smear on the back of the riser but no lipstick on the side plate. I shoot right handed with right helical fletches.

Assuming you’re shooting off the shelf, what fletch orientation have you found provides the least amount of wear on the feathers, the shelf and best flight?

Yesterday I messed around with trying to determine how to reduce wear on the shelf rug and fletch, I pulled out the pink lipstick and went to work. After about 15 shots and lots of lipstick smears on the shelf I found having the cock vane pointing down and the back aligned with the string vertically that I was getting zero contact on the shelf from that vane. Another vane was pointing directly at the riser and would leave a small smear on the back of the riser but no lipstick on the side plate. I shoot right handed with right helical fletches.
I've found that alot is bow set up dependent. If you are in the stiff side of the tune the orientation needed may ne different than if you're on the weaker side.

Additionally shelf width and amount of apex is gonna play into it.

So, I would say that your test is a good one to determine the perfect orientation for your bow and tune.

Another good test for feather shooters is to fletch an arrow, then cut off the feathers, leaving the quill attached to the arrow. It will show you if you are getting quill contact, which is the bigger problem than a little feather contact.

I liked to shoot my longbow with the cock feather straight up. Only one feather would contact the shelf and it would allow me to shoot without having a dang feather stick me in the nose or side of my face. 🤣

Gthar7

FNG
I like a 4 fletch with fairly short feathers, usually 2.5-3". Also fletch them a little bit farther forward than normal to avoid contact with nose, cheek, etc.

Beendare

WKR
If your bow/arrow is tuned, you get very little fletching wear.…unless you are using large fletch.…which isn’t needed if your bow is tuned.

I shoot 3-3” with the cock feather horizontal.…that puts one feather not straight down but angled back to the riser. Some rests can eat up feathers with even minor contact- like velcro.

By far, the fletching orientation I have found to give the least clearance issues is 2-fletch, with the fletchings at 7:00 and 1:00.

The problems arise with broadhead stabilization, but can be done. I am shooting 3-fletch now, but am surprised more folks don't shoot 2-fletch.

oldgoat

WKR
By far, the fletching orientation I have found to give the least clearance issues is 2-fletch, with the fletchings at 7:00 and 1:00.

The problems arise with broadhead stabilization, but can be done. I am shooting 3-fletch now, but am surprised more folks don't shoot 2-fletch.
Yeah, it works great when you don't goon the release, and that, especially under pressure like when hunting happens all to often, I'll never use it for hunting with broadheads!