Tire chains on newer 1/2 ton trucks

jtevanMT

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to purchase a 2000-2024 1/2 ton truck with clearance for vbar chains on all 4 tires. Most 2024 trucks 1/2 ton or smaller (Ford, Chevy, GMC, Dodge, Toyota, Nisan) do not have clearance on backside of tire for chains. Anyone know of specific brands with newer model years that allow for use of chains. Chains on 2 tires is ok, but all 4 is preferred for mountain roads in the winter. I don’t need a 3/4 or 1 ton truck.
Thanks!!

Djacker

WKR
I have a 2019 silverado 1500 stock. I have used chains on my rear tires several times, 0 room up front for real chains. Why not buy what you want and put different offset rims on to add clearance for the chains.

Macintosh

WKR
Where are chains hitting? Is it inside the wheelwell during a hard turn? I don't have chains but was thinking about a set for my stock 19 silverado LD. Is it all chains, or just really aggressive ones, etc? If someone cares to give me the 101 on this Id sure appreciate, and hopefully that isnt taking this thread off-course.

I’ve used chains many times on the rear tires of a 21 tundra and a 17 f150. Plenty of clearance on both of them.

SWOHTR

WKR
Where are chains hitting? Is it inside the wheelwell during a hard turn? I don't have chains but was thinking about a set for my stock 19 silverado LD. Is it all chains, or just really aggressive ones, etc? If someone cares to give me the 101 on this Id sure appreciate, and hopefully that isnt taking this thread off-course.
I’ve wondered this too. Reading the owners manual for the suburban says “if you have xx tire/wheel size, you can run chains. All others, no.”

I did the math, and there imperial calculations came out to be less than 0.5in larger diameter on the “no run chains” sizes. This leads me to believe the minimum clearance per SAE is violated and you’ll get contact on the body/wheelwell, not brakes or suspension.

Just my musings.

Soj51hopeful

Lil-Rokslider
the inner fender well can be the issue. If you make a hard turn and go over a bump you will tear something up. Aftermarket modifications are what I would do. I had a Chevy 1500 work truck I had the shop turn up the torsion bars and put a next size down tires on. Ran chains on all 4 no problems and what a difference that makes! You might need to be careful with the abs sensor wire.

JCooper

FNG
We ran chains on a 2021 f150 lariat this fall while elk hunting. I never read the “electronic owners manual” but we never had any issues.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I’m planning a late season hunt this year and believe I need to have chains out west to be legal on the road in some situations; do these things work and do they even qualify? I’ll be driving a Chevy Traverse.

IMG_0044.png

Weldor

WKR
I ran cables on my Ram 2500 and they still hit the brake rotor and line. I don't know what the Detroit engineers are thinking! I guess they figure nobody needs chains.

Last edited:
Ive used 4 chains on my 2018 f150 while it was on lift blocks and 33's without issues. That was before i recently lifted it more, and installed an aftermarket bumper with more clearance and got 34's, guess i should go check if that would still work

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m planning a late season hunt this year and believe I need to have chains out west to be legal on the road in some situations; do these things work and do they even qualify? I’ll be driving a Chevy Traverse.

View attachment 670264
Those would be legal in Colorado to use, but we don’t have any traction aid requirements unless you are a commercial vehicle.

taskswap

WKR
I had a set of those fabric-sock-style "chains" for my wife's car. They worked OK getting her out of a drift once. I can't remember what brand we bought but they shredded pretty fast. I wouldn't get them for long-term use like if you're regularly trying to get up an icy access road or around the farm. But for "kept in the trunk for emergencies" they'll get you out. They sure are smaller and lighter than chains.

But if you just want something temporary, <5mph, once-or-twice used, there's also a type that has a rubber block and a ratchet strap. They come in a set of 4-5 per tire and you strap them on with the ratchets through the holes in the rim. IMO they work better for emergencies because they're so chunky. You just can't go more than a few mph with them on.

I use Commerical HD Z-chains up front. HD are almost an inch in diameter. When looking up your size always go with larger rim diameter. If you have 17” rims opt for the 20” rim option
IMG_4244.png

Last edited:

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Those would be legal in Colorado to use, but we don’t have any traction aid requirements unless you are a commercial vehicle.
Awesome. Thank you for the info. I’ve got a quad to get around once base camp is established.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Most new 1/2 ton trucks have very little clearance between the inside of the tire and the upper control arm. If you run your hand along the inside, upper part of your tire, your fingers will hit and you'll see the problem.
BINGO, when I sold my dodge 2500 I had a set of 4 chains and similar tiresize to our 2019 expedition, they fit the rear tires just fine (so I kept 1 set) but the front couldn't fit due to the control arm (nothing to do with wheel well or turning). A narrower tire might be a work around but chains with that rig are a nice to have. My truck is the one that I want chains for all 4 if I get into horrible mud or such.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Awesome. Thank you for the info. I’ve got a quad to get around once base camp is established.
If you're running into mud in late season (common when it warms up and the snow melts during the day) in regards to your main rig getting stuck you can wait till middle of the night/sunrise to drive in/out of camp when things are frozen up. Noon and trucks will be sliding sideways off gumbo roads, 6am and you can drive the roads (that are now likely really rutted up and rough from those noon guys....).