Titanium muzzle brakes sneak peek

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Wanted to do a sneak peek on the Ti muzzle brakes that Salmon River Solutions has in the works. Our goal is to provide ultralight brakes that have great recoil reduction but don't add a lot of length to the barrel.

The only ones I have machined so far is the large 3 port slab brake. it is 1.2" in dia, and .88" thick (flat to flat). it is 1.875" OAL and will only add approx 1.375" to a barrel. Its weight comes in at 1.8 oz. I am sending out prototypes for testing today. This will only be in 5/8-24 threads. Will work for 6.5mm up to .375. I made this set of 4 with top ports, but that will be optional.

I just finished up the design for a smaller 4 port slab brake that will be available in 5/8-24, 9/16-24 and 1/2-28. It is 1.85" OAL, .9 dia, and .75" thick. weight will be under 1.5 oz. Will work with bores from 6.5mm up to .338.

Also finished the design for a featherweight/sporter style standard 4 port round brake. It finishes at .7" dia. and can be turned down to .6" dia. for blending. OAL is only 1.725 and will add approx 1.25" to the barrel length. Recommended for bores .243 up to .308, but can go up to .338. Weight will be around 1 oz.

1.JPG2.JPGIMG_4403.JPG

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm excited to see how testing goes. I'd like to try one in 1/2 when you turn one out in that size.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tdhanses

WKR
Are you going to compare it to say a terminator or other brakes in testing?

OP
Salmon River Solutions

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have some people testing them that have experience with quite a lot of brakes. We will see how they compare. I don't plan on copying the sled type brake testing setup that everyone else that makes them has done.

I'm not trying to surpass the amount of recoil reduction that the more popular brakes have. If I can be close, or comparable in the amount of recoil reduction, but in a lighter and shorter design, I will be very happy.

I'll start with customer testimonials but then eventually I will probably put them head to head with comparable brakes.

I will however run them thru pressure simulations on CAD software and determine the amount of pressure out the end of the brake vs the amount of pressure out the crown of an unbraked rifle.

OP
Salmon River Solutions

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
OK, This is going to be the brake I will get prototyped next. It is the "Ti Pro" (titanium proof) Specifically designed around the proof sendero contour.

It finishes at 2.1" OAL, and .99" diameter. It is meant to be turned down to match a proof barrel in sendero contour. It can be turned down to .900" which will cover the entire range of barrel diameters for the proof sendero contour. I narrowed up the ports in order to get 5 ports while retaining a relatively short OAL. If you have .55" of barrel threads you will only add ~1.55" to your barrel. It will be in 5/8-24 and 3/4-24

Pictured below is a screenshot of what it looks like at .990" diameter, and what it looks like turned down to .900".

Ti Pro.JPG

OP
Salmon River Solutions

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I got the Ti Pro brake prototypes thru the first two ops last night and should finish them up tomorrow. Need someone to test one. They are 5/8-24 and .99” diameter, can be turned down to .900”, and have to be timed. I just had my first slab brakes tested today and he was able to just use a crush washer to temporarily time it before having a gunsmith time it to his barrel. Shoot me a pm if you interested, I’m looking for a quick turnaround time n the testing.

OP
Salmon River Solutions

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Here is the post off another site from Levi who reviewed the brake on a .300. He also mentioned that he was amazed by how light the brake was for how it performs.

So I was able to test this brake out today on my 26” 300 win mag built by Kevin ray hill.
So I have a painkiller currently on it so I was able to use that one which made me fall in love with slab brakes. Problem seems no one made to slab brakes. So I have painkillers on my lightweight build Until now.
This brake is very good. I was shooting 2 rifles today a savage axis 243 and this one. Shooting the 300 with this to brake I noticed that it was slightly better at removing felt recoil than the painkiller which is a tough thing to do. What it did do much better which I was not thinking it would was remove almost all muzzle jump.
I knew many people compare a big rifle with brake to a 243 but I can tell you I don’t think it was less recoil just felt slower over more time than the axis. Which did indeed feel better on my shoulder. I shot over 30 rounds and it was very easy. A few hours later I couldn’t tell I went shooting. Nowfor the comments on the angled ports. This doesn’t seem to have the issues you are talking about. The port directs it away from the shooter. In fact nothing I had on the bench with me got knocked off. Even a 1/4 full monster can. The bench 2 feet to the right of me got some blast but no me or my stuff. Private range so no issues.
Overall this is the best brake I’ve shot to date.
I was shooting 181 hammers at 3180fps and my point of impact only changed 1” high at 100.
I’ve shot a wide arrest of brakes and this one has the look and performance I was hoping for. It makes my 300 very nice to shoot I’m actually gonna have my 68 year old dad shoot it this week as he hung up his 300 years ago from bad shoulders.
Any questions? Let’s hear them.
Edit: rifle weight with the painkiller was 9lbs.”

OP
Salmon River Solutions

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Well on a super nice sunny day that I should have been bear hunting or fishing, I was in the shop. I got the Ti Pro prototypes finished up. Weight will be really close to what I was thinking when they are turned down to a .9” diameter.

If you turn it down to .9” for the 28” proof barrel in say a .308 plus clearance I’m guessing weight will be around 1.7oz.

2 oz is pretty good for a 5 port brake that’s just shy of 1” diameter... and they are only 2.1”OAL.

Attachments

• B27962D5-8BC5-4BB6-B98C-D1542794DD78.jpeg
    B27962D5-8BC5-4BB6-B98C-D1542794DD78.jpeg
    177.1 KB · Views: 65
  • 60A06508-44D7-433B-81C8-3ED7B62C3A5F.jpeg
    60A06508-44D7-433B-81C8-3ED7B62C3A5F.jpeg
    337.4 KB · Views: 67
OP
Salmon River Solutions

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Well, here is the lightest 5 port self timing brake out there.

2.03 OZ @.338 bore for a .308 rifle.
2.275” OAL
5 ports @ 25 degrees
.99” OD
Self timing

if your interested in one you can shoot me a pm. Will be doing a pre order and then a production run. They will be $180/each. These are 5/8-24 threads but I can do 9/16-24. This summer I will be doing a smaller version That will be for smaller diameter barrels. That will be for 9/16-24 and 1/2-28.

97328082-524A-472C-AAE0-EFD9B0B28DC3.jpeg489FFEA2-7E94-4F92-9349-C685D6764804.jpeg175A8905-C393-4DE7-9377-DE33EF3BEAE2.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
Salmon River Solutions

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I got my 4 port sporter version finished up. They are .73” OD 1.725” OAL and weighs under 1 oz. this design only accommodates 1/2-28 thread.

They are designed to be able to be turned down to .625”, and can be bored up to clearance for a .308.

I also just did a run of the 5/8-24 3 port slab brakes this week.

Right now I have the 3 port 5/8-24 slab brakes available for $150 each.

The 5 port self timers in 5/8-24 for $180 each.

And these sporter 4 ports in 1/2-28 for $100 each.3D42F894-86B3-4BA7-96FE-A6F22CAFCCA0.jpeg

OP
Salmon River Solutions

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I received a review from a tester on the 5 port self timing brake. See below.

Ken (livetohunt) sent me one of his new self timing titanium muzzle brakes to test.
My first impression was “Dang this thing feels like a toy it’s so light!” Good looking piece of equipment too, very well made. This was to go one my hunting rifles, a 10 pound .300WinMag. Despite its looks (Ugly! 20 years of hard use and abuse) this thing shoots exceptionally well for wearing a factory barrel in the old plastic stock. The add ons are a Rifle Basix Sav2 trigger and a very well known 3 port brake, actually one of my favorites. This is what I was comparing the new Ti against, as this brake works so well that I can actually spot impacts on paper at 100 yards. That is really saying something about how good it is when sitting on a .300 of any flavor. I am happy to say that the Ti went step for step with it! A buddy and I put several dozen rounds (190 and 208 grain loads) through the rifle today. Half with the Salmon River and half with the “other brand”. We shot bipod on bench and prone, and with a front rest and bag on the bench. Even shot prone in dry dirt that has been recently tilled. Neither of us could tell any discernible difference in recoil or muzzle rise between the two brakes. About the only thing that was really any different was the blast that sent dirt back towards the shooter or those around him, the positive was in the favor of the Salmon River brake. The Salmon River is 2/3 the weight and a tad smaller than my 3 port. I will say this, I am a fan and will be buying one to go on my .33XC. I have 2 other brakes I can put it up against, but a Surefire and side port factory Savage brake aren’t even really comparable. The only thing negative I can say about it (and is really more operator error) is that uncoated titanium apparently scratches easier than steel. You should put a barrier between a wrench and bare metal, we took it on & off multiple times for testing and I did not protect it. If you seen this rifle, you would see I’m not too worried about rub marks or scratches.

-Marc

I just tested out the 5 port self timing brake this morning on a Seekins 28 nos. I bought the brake bored out to .308 so I could use it on multiple guns. Even being over bored it is one of, if not, the softest recoiling brakes I have shot. I have used a decent amount of the "top" brakes and this thing is right there or better. the machining is top notch and the price is super cheap for how light and effective the brake is. I will be buying 1-2 more. Buy with confidence.

I was fortunate enough to have Salmon River Solutions send me a five-port titanium brake to test. It is the Five Port Ti Pro. The brake was installed on my 300 Win Mag shooting 208-grain ELD-M’s. I went to the range this morning to test the new brake along with my current four-port brake, and a factory Browning muzzle brake. The Browning brake came off my 6.5 Creedmoor, but Browning’s brakes are a one size fits all.

I took pictures while shooting, but they didn't focus on the brake, but rather the background. Below are pictures of them on my reloading bench.

2.jpg

3.jpg

At the range, I fired three shots without a brake and three shots with each brake. No brake and the Browning brake were very similar, and my regular four-port brake took a bit of the recoil out. The Salmon River Solutions brake felt even better at reducing recoil.

I brought my twelve-year-old son with me and talked him into seeing which one was the most effective. In my opinion, this would be the real test because he is used to shooting his 6.5 Creedmoor. He has only shot the rifle one time and said “ouch” because it is very unforgiving as it has a Boyd’s stock with a very hard recoil pad. It has never bothered me, but extended periods at the range (like load development) will leave some soreness.

My son shot the four-port brake, and I could tell it wasn’t pleasant for him. I then screwed on the Salmon River Solutions brake and let him fire the rifle. He seemed surprised that it didn’t kick as hard, and I asked if he wanted to reshoot it. He said yes, but this time I was watching the brake instead of the recoil felt on my son. I noticed there were a lot more gasses coming from the five-port brake as it kicked up more dust than what I am used to seeing.

In conclusion, this was a significant improvement to what I have been using. It reduced weight to the rifle and added another port to help reduce felt recoil. The ports are very aggressive and angled towards the shooter compared to my current setup and do an outstanding job pushing the gasses out. The brake can be turned down to match a Proof Sendero contour. One con that may arise is it is titanium, and you will need different cutters (at least that is what my friend with a lathe said). I am assuming most gunsmiths have them, but I ended up renting cutters from a local person to get the brake timed. I am in the process of building a 7 SAUM and will be reaching out to Salmon River Solutions for a five-port titanium brake once the barrel and stock arrive.

Levi

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
My smith sent me a picture after he installed my brake. He's turning it down a bit to better match the barrel profile. Can't wait to shoot it.
b3fb4a36fa6282afce05f47ba7eb455a.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
Salmon River Solutions

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks Sam!

I have all 4 styles of brakes in stock right now if anyone is looking for a lighter, shorter, but comparable recoil reduction muzzle brake!