To buck or not to buck

Str8shtr

Lil-Rokslider
I'd do it if I had a dedicated week for each. If it was mainly an elk hunt, i wouldn't do it. Just don't seem to see that many bucks while elk hunting. If i knew a really good deer spot near where i was elk hunting it would be a little different.

Or.hunter

WKR
I buy both and focus on elk, if I bump into a buck while elk hunting that I thinks worth my tag I take it. If not you can late season hunt blacktails in November on the western side and it’s a blast. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brady1991

FNG
I buy both and focus on elk, if I bump into a buck while elk hunting that I thinks worth my tag I take it. If not you can late season hunt blacktails in November on the western side and it’s a blast. Just my 2 cents.

Agree. This is also what I do and have had lots of luck hunting it like this.

Elk are for eating, Mulie’s are for finding a big’on. I would focus on elk with little discretion, then use the remaining time to find a toad.

bpurtz

WKR
Oregon mule deer hunting pretty much sucks. I guess if the cost for a NR deer tag is literally meaningless to you then you might as well have one in your pocket but I wouldn't focus on deer hunting during an elk hunt.

If you have the opportunity to return during the late general archery deer season (mid November) then the blacktail hunting is probably a better reason to have a general archery deer tag in your pocket during the elk hunt.

CorbLand

WKR
I am not familiar with Oregon but could you buy the elk tag and then if you kill one go get a deer tag? Seems to me that would be logical thing to do if possible.

Jbake108

FNG
IdahoElk describes what I did last year. Although only had 8 days, looking back wish I would’ve taken a day or 2 and maybe changed it up and gotten to a glassing knob looking for bucks to stalk. Plus in Oregon you have late season if unsuccessful for deer.

Same here. No such thing as easy elk. A huge factor in killing elk is time. So I’d get both tags and plan on hunting elk the entire time. If a mule deer worth shooting decided to commit suicide I’d shoot it and get right back to elk hunting.

shane102

FNG
get both. we run across deer all the time while hunting elk. it only takes 30 minutes at the most to work a deer up (even a large mule buck). you only get one shot at life, make the most out of it.

OP
bguitierez

That’s pretty much what I’m thinking. Well except the west side part. That said it would be cool to chase some little blacktails in the late season.

OP
bguitierez
Oregon mule deer hunting pretty much sucks. I guess if the cost for a NR deer tag is literally meaningless to you then you might as well have one in your pocket but I wouldn't focus on deer hunting during an elk hunt.

If you have the opportunity to return during the late general archery deer season (mid November) then the blacktail hunting is probably a better reason to have a general archery deer tag in your pocket during the elk hunt.

I didn’t realize the deer tags could be used in late season on black tails. What are those dates? The general tag for early season is still good for late season blacktails?

bpurtz

WKR
I didn’t realize the deer tags could be used in late season on black tails. What are those dates? The general tag for early season is still good for late season blacktails?

Yes - general archery (buck deer) for 2020 is Aug 29 - Sept 27

the tag is also good for late season archery in these units and dates:

Units 23, 25, 29, 30: Nov 14 - Dec 6
Units 10, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 and par of 21: Nov 21 - Dec 13

You should consider double checking the regulations - the dates change every year.

OP
bguitierez
Yes - general archery (buck deer) for 2020 is Aug 29 - Sept 27

the tag is also good for late season archery in these units and dates:

Units 23, 25, 29, 30: Nov 14 - Dec 6
Units 10, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 and par of 21: Nov 21 - Dec 13

You should consider double checking the regulations - the dates change every year.

Hey that’s pretty cool. Hey thanks for the heads up.