To Drive or Fly? Fuel Costs Predictions for October

Wondering what everyone's thoughts are for the upcoming Season for NR hunters.
Potentially driving to Telluride from Columbia, SC, picking my buddy up somewhere in GA

Rough fuel calculations are around $1000 one way. This is based on worse case scenario of gas running around $7 per gallon. Flights are looking at around $800-900. Factor in renting a 4x4 vehicle, fueling it, shipping meat/antlers (fingers crossed).

Clearly, there is more flexibility taking a vehicle other than the time it takes to get there. Hauling all of our stuff, coolers, etc. vs managing flights, shipping costs, etc.

Just wondering what everyone else is planning and if anyone has good insider info on projected fuel prices.

Thanks!

You also need to factor in how unreliable/inconsistent flights have been lately. There have been two times this year where they have cancelled my flights, all flights, with no other options until 2-3 days later. I had to rent cars and ended up driving to where I was going both times. Just about every time I’ve flown the past 2 years there has been delays or cancellations.

PVHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I'm surprised that you were able to catch R/T flights from Colorado to Columbia for only $800. We have to take the family to the east coast for a wedding in November and the costs felt more in line with a trip to Europe than to the southeastern US.

I've gotten to the point that for 12h and less I'm driving. The surge in flight prices (reduced flight capacity, jet fuel, and on and on) have made it an easier decision.

The 30 hour drive you're looking at changes that calculus, but given what you'll be doing (hunting, etc.) I'd still drive. No clue where we'll be with gas prices in October, but I can tell you that we're already close to $7 here in the People's Republic.

OP
D
You'll save time flying but not enough $ to balance out the hassle IMO.
That's kind of my thought as well. We're going to try and hash out tonight. My hope is that gas prices will go down rather than up.

For those looking at flights, my buddy looked from ATL to Durango and found a round trip for $700.

j_volt

WKR
I like having my own vehicle for flexibility.

My buddy and I flew to Jackson last fall with the plan to rent a car to drive back. We tagged out early, and ended up paying triple for a rental car (with the inability to cancel the original rental) so that we could head home instead of looking at each other for 6 days.

Gerbdog

WKR
As mentioned... i dont know what it will be like in October, but my flights lately have been a crapshoot, tons of delays, cancellations, break downs, etc, and the only thing you'll likely save with a plane ticket is time, they are outrageous expensive currently.

goetzc

FNG
I'm in the same boat this fall on my solo Montana elk hunt - with a 1200 mile/18 hour drive.

Flight-
I could get a round trip flight for under $600 including 2 checked bags. Renting a Jeep Cherokee SUV would cost about $1k, plus the fuel for the 10 days. All in - I'm looking at $2000-2500 if I'm successful and have to ship meat home. The only pro I see is the reduced travel time 6hours flying, getting rental and driving to my zone vs 18 hours driving each way. Cons are I'm limited to only two checked bags and a carry-on so no big coolers for meat care,

Driving-
I can take all the necessary gear and hopefully bring full coolers home. Fuel will cost me about $800-900 best guess. Another pro is the flexibility for schedule changes if I want to stay longer or punch my tag and head home early.

I know flying is possible and many do it - but for me driving is the clear choice.

7Bartman

WKR
I'm in the same boat this fall on my solo Montana elk hunt - with a 1200 mile/18 hour drive.

Flight-
I could get a round trip flight for under $600 including 2 checked bags. Renting a Jeep Cherokee SUV would cost about $1k, plus the fuel for the 10 days. All in - I'm looking at $2000-2500 if I'm successful and have to ship meat home. The only pro I see is the reduced travel time 6hours flying, getting rental and driving to my zone vs 18 hours driving each way. Cons are I'm limited to only two checked bags and a carry-on so no big coolers for meat care,
Just get a soft-sided cooler for one of your carry-ons. You can ship non essentials home should you be lucky and fill this with loins and backstraps for your carry-on (not weight restricted). Just buy a cooler when you get there. Think of it as an added $50-75 cost and buy extra coolers or totes should you be successful. I think the bigger challenge is finding a butcher who can flash freeze your meat for you.
Only problem I'm running in to is that rentals (as you mentioned) are ridiculous right now for a 1-2 week rental.

Driving-
I can take all the necessary gear and hopefully bring full coolers home. Fuel will cost me about $800-900 best guess. Another pro is the flexibility for schedule changes if I want to stay longer or punch my tag and head home early.

I know flying is possible and many do it - but for me driving is the clear choic

505Wapiti

WKR
Paying for the fuel one way or another, and one way is a huge inconvenience in that you have to trust others with you gear / luggage. Travel in general I like the freedom on the road, but at least once I’ve thought, “dang it would’ve been awesome to have just flown.”

Too much gear including camp to fly. Even if shipping was practical on the way out getting back with 3 elk wouldn’t be too good.

Fishmaster196

Lil-Rokslider
Arizona late rifle elk. 1800 miles 1 way from Michigan. I’m going to drive, by the time I pay for flights and rental car and hopefully antlers and meat on the way back I’ll still be ahead.

Avonac

Lil-Rokslider
I’m doing a similar trip. Florida to southern Colorado. I’m driving only because of meat and antlers. Plus I’ll have my truck when I get there.

elkocd

Lil-Rokslider
I'd never fly, but if you are thinking of it, you better look close a car/truck rentals. That has become a serious problem as of late. Some places do not even have them available as crazy inflated prices.

PaBone

Lil-Rokslider
It’s a tough call but we are flying. My two sons And I flew last year and everything worked out great. It’s almost a 40 hour drive one way to Montana for us, so that’s four days of driving and several days of feeling like crap. Our round trip tickets are 450 a piece and we rented a 3/4 ton 4x4. We killed a bull last year and no issues getting the meat home and this year we should be better prepared having done it last year. I am nervous about all the cancellations this year though. Once I retire and have more time I’ll probably drive.

Macintosh

WKR
We’re not elk hunting so less meat to get home with, but according to my phone its 31 hours each way to drive to our fall home base. At 10 hours driving a day that’s six full days in the car round trip. I did it straight through once in my 20’s…Im not quite stupid enough to do that again. Hard to justify an entire week of vacation time just to get there and back, before I even set foot in the field.