To scout or Not to Scout. That is the question. Lope's

Huntin_GI

WKR
I have a rifle tag in a heavily hunted weekender unit in CO. (87) I can't get out to hunt until midweek with the season starting on Saturday. I will have both my 8 and 10 year old in tow on this hunt. With antelope chasing does, the guaranteed pressure, and the recereational pressure pushing animals around, would you bother with scouting prior to the hunt or pull the classic LeeeeRRROOOOOYYYYY jenkins! and figure it out on the hunt?

Fitzwho

WKR
I like to have at least an afternoon to get a lay of the land and put eyes on a few pronghorn. If you are talking about getting to the unit a few days after the season begins, just get there when you get there and be ready to hunt when you get to the unit. Mid-week there should be limited pressure. Otherwise, 1-2 days is more than enough scouting time for most pronghorn hunts. Find a couple you like, put at least one of them "to bed" and start with that one first thing opening morning.

Last year in Wyoming I scouted for about 1/2 a day, located 3-4 shooters. I watched my favorite one until dark. He was less than 200 yards from the last place I saw him the next morning. As was my #2 buck (very near his last known location) when I had to tuck tail and go find him after blowing a stalk on #1. Blew second stalk as well.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Normally I would say absolutely for Pronghorn, typically really territorial and you can turn up bucks you see in the same spot regularly, but the unit in question and getting reamed on a weekend could really mix everything up and have critters everywhere…. So it might be a waste, but you will have a decent idea on average or what an above average buck looks like. Are you trying for a big mature buck or just shoot one with the kids?

OP
Huntin_GI

Huntin_GI

WKR
Normally I would say absolutely for Pronghorn, typically really territorial and you can turn up bucks you see in the same spot regularly, but the unit in question and getting reamed on a weekend could really mix everything up and have critters everywhere…. So it might be a waste, but you will have a decent idea on average or what an above average buck looks like. Are you trying for a big mature buck or just shoot one with the kids?
It’s my first lope and I plan on archery after burning these points. Like to shoot a decent one but kids having a good time is more important.

Hnthrdr

WKR
It’s my first lope and I plan on archery after burning these points. Like to shoot a decent one but kids having a good time is more important.
As someone who has never scored a big antelope buck myself, and doesn’t have near enough time field judging them I’d say go have fun! It is really hard to know what an exceptional buck is especially if there aren’t a lot of other bucks around, or you don’t have a ton of experience, plus place is question hasn’t produced a monster buck in quite some time if I’m not mistaken, so just go have fun, be sure to have orange for the youngsters and you should get a handful of stalks in at least mid week should be a little less wild than opening weekend

Ucsdryder

WKR
It won’t be as easy as you think. When you stop the antelope run and don’t stop. With kids tagging along, been there done that and will again this year, it won’t be easy. I’d say shoot the first buck you see that’s bigger than an ear horn. If it’s a buck that the kids get to see and you can shoot it with them with you, I wouldn’t be scared to shoot an ear horn! It’s hard to get the stars to align and get a buck to cooperate when the kids are with you, so don’t pass opportunities.

My oldest daughter will have a tag this year. She’s been on 4 antelope trips with me and I’ve yet to kill with her with me. The one with her sister they were close enough to hear the shot and helped me “track” it. My goal is to kill one with her present this year on my tag.

Attachments

• IMG_0038.jpeg
    IMG_0038.jpeg
    295.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2054.jpeg
    IMG_2054.jpeg
    640.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7408.jpeg
    IMG_7408.jpeg
    369.1 KB · Views: 17

Hnthrdr

WKR
Don’t know your experience level, but what was said above, if you slow the truck down or stop the antelope are like to take off and keep running, best thing you can do a lot of the time if you see some is keep cruising by at 30-40 mph and then park out of their sight, gotta use the terrain, even if it almost seems non existent to your advantage, let us know how it works out for you

OP
Huntin_GI

Huntin_GI

WKR
I appreciate all the input. I’ve got one free day and think we’re gonna go to the range for validation with that one.

Anyone else with kids up that way wanna hook up in the evenings, reach out. If anyone has any pro tips for the area I’m all ears. Should be getting out there on Tuesday evening and have through the weekend.

Jimss

WKR
Wyo vs 87 in Colo are like oranges and apples. I have 2 totally different scenarios for each since hunting pressure is so crazy on public land in Colo. If you have private land access in Colo it may be a different story.