To stop thief from getting your guns in truck

Bountyhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I am planning an elk hunt in Oct and driving to NM from NC. I was looking at ways to protect my guns after reading about all the thefts out of vehicles at hotels. I looked at all the $5000 truck vaults and then came across this company. Their regular boxes are 24 or 48 wide by 14 inches tall with multiple draws, either 2 or 4. I ordered an 18" wide by 14" tall and 65" to just fit in my short bed GMC and almost be to tailgate. No way to get to the locks unless they break in and then damn hard and timely to get thru. Not for your smash and grab thieves. This allows plenty of storage on the bed and on top of box as rated for 350 lbs on top. I ordered the optional rubber mat, dividers and locking latch that is keyed and has padlock capability. Cost $1700 delivered. Right now set up for my skeet and trap shooting. In the back divideer, my gear and shotgun shells. Up front fits two hard cases with O/U shotguns. In Oct, take out the divider andwill fit 4 rifles in soft bags plus ammo. Comes with tabs to bolt to truck bed floor so damn hard to get out with tailgate locked. Took about 2-3 weeks from order to delivery. Here are the pics and you can see label with mftr.

www.truck-tool-box.com

Attachments

• box 2.jpg
    box 2.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 306
  • box.jpg
    box.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:

Rob5589

WKR
I don't get the guys that leave expensive gear in their truck at a hotel, or anywhere you can take it in with you. That locker will definitely hamper a thief. Make sure you cannot unbolt the box from the top or it'll be an easy(ish) target. I'd still bring my guns inside, however.

jimh406

WKR
I guess that's better than nothing. What are you doing to prevent them from stealing your truck?

I agree with others who bring equipment inside, so it might be a good idea to do some planning to make it easier to bring inside with you.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
I understand wanting to secure items in your vehicle, but I would never be able to sleep if I left expensive gear/guns in my vehicle while staying at a hotel no matter how secure it seems. I lock my vehicle as soon as I get out even in my driveway and never leave stuff in there overnight-even at home. I am not paranoid but I am vigilante about protecting valuables in a vehicle at all times.

This is the world we live in-I am always guarded against thieves.

I understand wanting to secure items in your vehicle, but I would never be able to sleep if I left expensive gear/guns in my vehicle while staying at a hotel no matter how secure it seems. I lock my vehicle as soon as I get out even in my driveway and never leave stuff in there overnight-even at home. I am not paranoid but I am vigilante about protecting valuables in a vehicle at all times.

This is the world we live in-I am always guarded against thieves.

I do the same. By doing it literally every time I get out of the truck there's almost no chance of accidentally leaving it unlocked or leaving something valuable inside.

If it's not in the vehicle, it can't be taken.

Of course, that lock box will be nice when traveling if you are in a restaurant..or Walmart. ;-)

Last edited:
What year GMC truck are you driving? Some of those older body styles can be broke into and started in literally a matter of seconds...not minutes.

I got a buddy that two years ago was at a Hotel in Moab, UT. They stole his truck, guns, bow, hunting equipment. When they woke in the morning and called police. Police said not much we can do. Depending on when they took it....its probably almost in Mexico by now.
Bad thing is they were all the way from NC. now with no transportation home.

I guess I'm paranoid but I don't even leave my CCW pistol in my truck in my driveway overnight and I live in a gated community in the country.

When I have a gun at a hotel, it goes in with me and if I'm on a hunt the gun and all my gear is always with me.

You're setup looks nice but I can't fathom spending all that money when you could just take it inside with you and it's the safest bet.

Marble

WKR
All optics and firearms go into the hotel room with me.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

jgilber5

Lil-Rokslider
Totally get not leaving your guns in the vehicle at the hotel, I never do either. Will be heading out to Wyoming griz land in archery this year though and will leave a 12 ga. in the truck for the 2nd meat run. Anybody had issues or have a preferred method of securing while in the backcountry? Will be a beater gun but still.

Duh

WKR
Albuquerque is a shit hole. If you have to stay there pick a hotel with a gate and security.
The holiday inn by the department of interior building has been good for me. Pretty consistent security but I try to not stay in that city if I do t have to.