To stop thief from getting your guns in truck

I actually pulled a drunk dudes distributor cap at the bar one night to keep him off the road. 😆

wjohnson1983

Lil-Rokslider
So what towns are "safe" to stay in either East of Albuquerque on I-40 or Southwest towards Quemado?

Santa Rosa, NM far enough away?

How about the opposite problem. All your gear & rifles are in your hotel room, and you decide to go out to eat. That is a potential risk.

I know people who lost their rifles while eating at a dinner just north of the Canadian border. Smashed the glass of the Suburban...
I'll take firearms back to truck with me. And not go anywhere where truck is out of sight for very long or that seems sketchy at all.

This is why I like "motels". Easier to unload all my crap to my room when I can park at the door.

Tonneau Covers are nice too for hiding bigger gear. Not impossible to get into for somebody dedicated to stealing shit, but keeps things out of sight, so most people that might just grab something out of the back of a truck that is sitting there in plain sight has to commit/risk breaking into something and there could very well not be anything underneath.
I've been giving thought to replacing my tonneau with a diamondback cover.

wjohnson1983

Lil-Rokslider
I bring firearms into the hotel with me.
Yes, I'll bring everything in the room with me, but throughout this thread everyone talks about the truck getting stolen or cat getting cut off during the night near Albuquerque.

Is it rampant everywhere in the SW or is there a "distance" away from Albuquerque to get?

Last edited:
I drove 6000 miles. Didn't stop in South Bend, but many others. Make sure you are in a well-lit parking lot, and ask the hotel straight out if the parking lot is safe. Most hotels told me they haven't had a theft in many months. Not the answer I was looking for, but I was ok. No problems.

OP
B

Bountyhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I had my mechanic install a fuel pump relay cutoff toggle switch and hid it. they ran a fake gas line to the hidden switch and you see no wires. Accidently got bumped and I can tell you it worked great.

OP
B

Bountyhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Well made it back OK. Had a fuel pump relay switch installed and switch hid. Also installed one of those 12 ga perimeter alarms for 12 ga blanks. Used a 180 db blank and pull cord to pin from rear truck cap window. Did not point it at rear window as would have roasted someones face. Just wanted them to have a change of underwear.

Guide mentioned big problem there and he has changed where he tells clients to come into and stay before he picks them up.

got nice 5x5

Last edited: