Toilet wax ring to seal boots

Carr5vols

WKR
I just read an article and the guy said he used a toilet wax ring to seal his boots. Anyone tried this and if so does it work. If not what is the best product for leather boot conditioner/waterproofing.

Trial153

WKR
I would go with what the boot manufacturer recommends for that boot. Save the toilet ring for the bathroom remodel

SWOHTR

WKR
I mean sure, but if you’re looking for a cheaper solution just put your foot into a plastic bag then into your boot.

What are kits, $30-$40?

Trr15

WKR
those wax rings are so damn sticky/messy I can’t imagine trying to coat a pair of boots with one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheGreek

Lil-Rokslider
I tried it a few years ago on a pair of danner pronghorns. The wax went on fine but it did absolutely no good in regards to waterproofing the boots. But that could have just been the boots themselves, they leaked like a sieve before the wax and they leaked like a sieve after the wax. Sent them back to danner and got a new pair, the new pair leaked like a sieve as well. A year later, sent that pair back and danner sent me another new pair. Long story short, don’t buy danner pronghorns.

Obenaufs. Sno seal. Nikwax.

Toilet rings are mostly bees wax but who knows what else. Seems like a good way to wreck a pricey set of boots. Go with something purpose made. I like obenaufs on leather. Nikwax spray on for textile boots.

WKR
I've used bear lard a few times on my Meindl boots. Works great. Plan on restocking in a couple of months. And though I have heard some bear lard stinks, the stuff I am rendering slowly and then filtering is odorless. Makes great cookies and biscuits too. Its kind of a miracle elixir.

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
While we are on the subject of toilet wax rings, it's worth mentioning that they are great to have on a boat. You can stomp one down over a hole in the hull or the transom and limp back home, where the wax is easy to remove before a weld. They even stick underwater, like a degenerate redneck flex tape.

I wouldn't put it on my boots though unless society had collapsed to a point that I could no longer trade ammo or squirrel meat for obenaufs and nikwax.

Fatcamp

WKR
While we are on the subject of toilet wax rings, it's worth mentioning that they are great to have on a boat. You can stomp one down over a hole in the hull or the transom and limp back home, where the wax is easy to remove before a weld. They even stick underwater, like a degenerate redneck flex tape.

I wouldn't put it on my boots though unless society had collapsed to a point that I could no longer trade ammo or squirrel meat for obenaufs and nikwax.

Add to this a bar of soap for pierced fuel tanks when off road and we should be safe.

Sno-Seal. I miss old school boots impregnated with sno-seal (see my old school boot thread). Absolutely 100% waterproof if heated with a hair drier and rubbed in. Best combination of leather support and comfort, and rubber water-proofness. And can be done again and again. No crappy goretex 'liner' to wear out.