Tool Question?

tony

WKR
Finally going to spring on some decent battery tools.
Home Depot has the Milwaukee M12 2 piece kit at a good price, with 2 batteries. Also get a free tool out if 5 offered.
Two I looked at were a 3/8 drive wrench. Has 35 pounds of torque which doesn't seem like a lot? I'd most likely use it wrenching on my truck.
The other is one of those oscillating multi tools. This one interests me more. Sands, cuts, etc. How handy and useful is this thing?

12 volts why? I live in an apt and the GF has a condo so I'm not building anything or doing any serious remodel work. Had to re hang her back fence gate and had to borrow tools from her dad. I figure these would be perfect for what I need.

Im a contractor, that oscillating tool or multi tool gets a ton of use depending on what we're working on. I have 2 of them. I only buy makita stuff but i really like some of the Milwaukie tools I've used are really nice

AndrewD

FNG
I have a Milwaukee 12volt Pex Type A expander, have not used it enough to judge the battery longevity, but the fit and finish is great. I got this tool because it was the only one available when I needed it.

Once you commit to a brand/line of cordless tools, unless you have a lot of spare cash, you tend to get locked in because of the batteries. Once you have invested in a few batteries, and you need a specialized tool, the cheapest thing to do is to buy the tool without a battery and use the batteries you already have. Then occasionally you buy a kit or get a special deal on a tool with a battery or two. This makes it really hard to switch brands/lines as you buy other tools. This is reinforced with how they screw with the prices and availability of batteries. You can get a single battery at the store today for $100 bucks, but if you want to get a two pack for a cheaper per battery cost, you will have to wait for it be shipped. HD stocks 50+ of single battery packages at all times, but the multi packs are never in the store. Like they couldn't easily carve out half the shelf for multi-packs. There are similarities in how the tool industry uses batteries to how the printer industry uses ink cartridges.

RobertLosekamp

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the oscillating tool last year when I had to go digging for a strange smell in the downstairs bathroom. It's a joy to use and surprisingly useful for random things around the house and garage, very versatile.

Go m18. They are not much bigger and you can do much more with them. I’ve been very happy. Work runs dewar which is okay, my 1/2” impact smokes their big 1/2” and the battery life seems much better

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
The 18v stuff is definitely going to be a step up but there is some advantages to having some select 12v. The ratchet, right angle impact, multi tool would be cumbersome with that large 18v battery.

I don't know how many Miluakee battery tools I own. Nail guns, saws... I do trim carpentry completely cord and hoseless for a living. Lots of m18, quite a bit of m12. My two most used impacts are both m12. 20230826_130349.jpg

I work on vehicles a lot. As in I've bought partial engines and rebuilt them, swapped engines into chassis they don't belong in... My cordless ratchets are some of my favorite tools. Just so handy, and save so much repetitive motion.

But the average person would use one of those multi tools more.

Axlrod

WKR
If you are ever going to buy an electric chainsaw, Dewalt flex volt is the best, otherwise Milwaukee is solid.

Deadfall

WKR
Go to a pawn shop. battery tools flow through those things non stop. you'll get twice as much tool and battery for what you'll pay at the communist store

grfox92

WKR
12v stuff is fine for just about everything you use 18v stuff for. I say go for it, can't go wrong. Grab extra batteries when they are on sale and collect tools overtime.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

hunterjmj

WKR
I'd go 18v. I run all Makita stuff but get the Milwaukee pack out stuff. Sometimes I buy a tool only and sometimes I buy a tool with battery that way I have plenty of batteries. With the cost of batteries it seems like a better option to buy a tool you want along with a battery. If you plan on getting married you'll need a weed wacker for your yard so may as well go 18v.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Get the oscillating tool! I didn't know if I'd use one that much so I used my tool proving grounds (Harbor Freight) and bought an el cheapo, $20 kit. I burned it up in less than a year. It is now part of my DeWalt line.

I have the 2 piece M12 set too. The drill and the impact. Like others have stated you’ll never know how much you’ll use them until you buy them lol. I purposely find things to do just so I can use them.

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
I have the 12V drill & impact in my “apartment tool kit” for minor stuff/assembly. Rest of my stuff is 18V. I prefer the 18V stuff for bigger work, but the 12V tools are great because of their size for stuff around the house.

Those multi tools are awesome, you’ll find a ton of uses for it.