Torn calf muscle

Poltax

Lil-Rokslider
My sesaon is ended really before it starts. I have 3 tears in my left calf muscle, along with a blood clot. Go back on Tuesday for another scan to see how everything is healing up. But most likely there will be no more hiking the next couple of months.

Has anyone here had this injury and how long did it take to where you could start hiking again. In internet research and from what my Dr stated this could be up to 4-6 months

Ouch, I’d still say don’t count yourself out if you got some tame hunts ahead.

I had a single calf tear a couple years back from basketball. I found the hard way it was really easy to re-injure it too. Fortunately mine was after hunting season.

RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation) is your friend. I was walking gingerly in no time. Wore the compression socks religiously. Maybe do ground blinds instead of tree stands if your whitetail hunting. I suppose any serious hiking or climbing in the Mountains is probably out, since this is Rockslide I assume that’s what you have planned?

Last edited:

MtnCam

FNG
I snapped a section of calf muscle a few years ago. When it popped I thought it was my Achilles. Doc immobilized my leg for 6 weeks in a boot then PT to regain strength and stability. If you haven’t tore it that bad it may be a shorter recovery than you’ve read. Everyone is different and every injury is different. It may not be 6 months but be patient and don’t rush things to the point you jeopardize next season.

Poser

WKR
That’s a difficult muscle to tear. What were you doing when you tore it?

It will take a good while heal, unfortunately, and there’s not much you can effectively do to expedite the process except rest, eat and drink.

One of my athletes injured her calf in January. She didn't get any real hiking in until July. In August she finally got back into the mountains for an extended trip. She's just starting to get a good amount of strength back this month.

OP
P

Poltax

Lil-Rokslider
Been doing the ice, Heat and keeping my calf elevated. Wrapped in Ace bandages for support. I am doing better and not walking like a 90 year old guy shuffling down the street.......Someone above asked about how I did it. Wish I had a good story to tell. Was washing my truck and standing on a step ladder to do the roof. Come down off the top of the ladder and missed the next step. Caught myself on the 2nd rung and hyperextended the calf which caued the 3 tears.

OP
P

Poltax

Lil-Rokslider
jmez.....no they did not grade the tear.

I had a follow up scan yesterday and visit with the Dr. The scan revealed the blood clot is no longer there. I asked the Dr if that meant it was dissolved or if it has moved off to cause some excitement later on. He stated its gone. Hope so.

I no longe have to Ace bandage up my leg. Swelling has gone down to almost nothing. But still need to take it easy for the next 3 weeks. Then the Dr wants to see me agian and maybe do some PT. No pain when I walk and I can take the stairs if I go easy. Lots of travel for work starting next week. Hope I do not mess it up with that.

rino

FNG
Find a farmers alfafla field, ground blind...thermos of coffee. Buddy available to drag. Heal quick!

jmez.....no they did not grade the tear.

I had a follow up scan yesterday and visit with the Dr. The scan revealed the blood clot is no longer there. I asked the Dr if that meant it was dissolved or if it has moved off to cause some excitement later on. He stated its gone. Hope so.

I no longe have to Ace bandage up my leg. Swelling has gone down to almost nothing. But still need to take it easy for the next 3 weeks. Then the Dr wants to see me agian and maybe do some PT. No pain when I walk and I can take the stairs if I go easy. Lots of travel for work starting next week. Hope I do not mess it up with that.
Do you have access to stationary bike?
Pedaling is a good way to promote low impact circulation and passive range of motion.
Deep water running too can be beneficial.

OP
P

Poltax

Lil-Rokslider
Deerkiller.........was sent to an Orthopedic Dr. I also have been seeing my Chiro to keep everything alinged. Unfortunetly I am out on the road for work for 2 weeks.

Deerkiller.........was sent to an Orthopedic Dr. I also have been seeing my Chiro to keep everything alinged. Unfortunetly I am out on the road for work for 2 weeks.
meaning you have not seen the Orthopod as yet ?