Total 6 day MZ elk gear weight: 66.4lbs - is that crazy?

ChurchAl

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for some feedback. Planning on doing two 5-day camps, but planning for 6 on the first stretch “just in case” for early September MZ elk in southern CO.

We hunted the same area/time last year OTC bow, so have some idea of what to expect as far as weather & conditions. Coldest it got was mid 30’s at night.

This list is absolutely everything I’ll bring from the truck, including the clothes/boots I’ll wear in. I’ve weighed all items on a shipping scale, not based on listed weight.
56f2f5fdcd7db7f711129ef4d5131589.jpg

Some things to clarify:

-Biggest struggle last year was finding water up high. We’re hoping to only have to descend (~2,000ft last year) for water once per the 5/6 day trip - hence the 7L of packed water. If we’re able to find water high, I can shed 10-12lbs of packed water pretty fast.

-I think the Banyan Bridge Hammock & some sort of pad are pretty much non-negotiable for me. I’m nearly as comfortable in that thing as I am in my own bed, I’ll take the great sleep for an extra half pound

-I have 2lbs of misc built in for sunglasses, tags, gum, tape, phone, gun sock, etc etc.

-I don’t currently have a tarp picked out, but need ~10’x10’. Recommendations here would be great.

-My hunting partner will be carrying a stove, gas, & garmin, while I take game bags, filter, & med kit - that’s why they’re not on the list. I’m actually planning on going no-cook this year to conserve water/weight - does anyone do this?

-I was likely very close to this weight last year and handled it alright. Since then I’ve been training a ton and dropped ~30lbs of body weight. Not sure how this translates to the mountain though.

I’m really looking for advice on where to spend the money to save weight, or reassurance that I’m over thinking this. Also interested in hearing if there’s something I’m missing. Thanks in advance!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ChurchAl

ChurchAl

Lil-Rokslider
Inflatable lantern? Is this woobie type item or multi purpose?

It’s the Mpowered Lucy 2.0

Decided on this versus a backup headlamp this year.

Probably not absolutely necessary, but it’s solar powered and expecting it to be pretty handy for camp, field dressing, setting up/tearing down in the dark.

Last edited:
OP
ChurchAl

ChurchAl

Lil-Rokslider
yikes that’s a lot of water. Is it really that dry?

I hope not, but it was last year. All the water we found was down low and quite literally trickling streams. We were even making mini “dams” to be able to fill from.

We burned quite a bit a time descending/ascending for water every other day.

Current plan is full platypus, Nalgene, and 3 squeeze bags. If we’re able to find water up high, I don’t think carrying the empty squeeze bags & half empty platypus is a terrible plan b.

Hondo0925

Lil-Rokslider
I generally run warmer so I would take out the Marino base layers but if you know you’ll get cold keep them in. I usually don’t pack long Johns till later rifle hunts. Seems like a pretty solid list though!

11boo

WKR
I’ve hunted a lot down between Bayfield and Vallecito res. Yeah, water can be slim up high. You have enough stuff already, but have a plan to catch whatever rainwater you can. We used dishpans, but it was a truck camp.

OP
ChurchAl

ChurchAl

Lil-Rokslider
Is the plan to stay mobile, thus the reason for all this gear?

Yes, last year we had to setup/tear down camp daily to stay in the elk.

The terrain is incredibly steep; it’s fingers/ridges running off a peak with basins, some wet but mostly dry, in between.

I think our biggest takeaway though is the shortest route isn’t always the best route.

Last year we moved as the crow flies which I think was a huge mistake. Our plan this year is to try to work around the top. Either way, it took us half a day or more to get from one finger/ridge top to the next so working out of a base camp wasn’t really an option.

OP
ChurchAl

ChurchAl

Lil-Rokslider
I should clarify that this will only be my second backcountry elk hunt, so still getting the hang of things!

OP
ChurchAl

ChurchAl

Lil-Rokslider
I generally run warmer so I would take out the Marino base layers but if you know you’ll get cold keep them in. I usually don’t pack long Johns till later rifle hunts. Seems like a pretty solid list though!

This is a great call out.

As far as I can remember, I only ever wore them to sleep in.

11boo

WKR
Parts of the state can be pretty dry higher up. My part we cant kick a pile of elk poop without it hitting water.

OP, you are using a good mapping program like OnX, right? Just a few minutes of map recon can save a lot of steps.

OP
ChurchAl

ChurchAl

Lil-Rokslider
Parts of the state can be pretty dry higher up. My part we cant kick a pile of elk poop without it hitting water.

OP, you are using a good mapping program like OnX, right? Just a few minutes of map recon can save a lot of steps.

Yes, we used OnX to find water and mark where we were heading, but pretty much disregarded topo lines.

Going to be trading steep climbs for more steps this year

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I generally run warmer so I would take out the Marino base layers but if you know you’ll get cold keep them in. I usually don’t pack long Johns till later rifle hunts.
Am I the only person on the planet that only uses merino base layers to soak up my sweat while hunting (i.e. keep the sweat off my skin)? I have not found any pieces of merino (even 400gm weight) to be very helpful against the cold at all. It's all about moisture control for me, and I wear my merino base layers 24/7 up there.

whoami-72

Lil-Rokslider
Idk how far you're packing in or the time of year you're going but the pack out is going to be miserable. In addition, if you're to far back to early in the year your meat will spoil.

IMO, if your legs can handle it then have fun. Personally, I would cut a lot of "comfort" stuff and get creative to cut out things like rain gear.

Hondo0925

Lil-Rokslider
Am I the only person on the planet that only uses merino base layers to soak up my sweat while hunting (i.e. keep the sweat off my skin)? I have not found any pieces of merino (even 400gm weight) to be very helpful against the cold at all. It's all about moisture control for me, and I wear my merino base layers 24/7 up there.
I can’t do that. It’s still too hot and itchy. I’m more of a synthetic guy. I sweat right through it but once I stop 5 minutes later I’m dry. To each his own

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I can’t do that. It’s still too hot and itchy. I’m more of a synthetic guy. I sweat right through it but once I stop 5 minutes later I’m dry. To each his own
Ya, see for me.......with synthetics, all they do is slide the sweat around on my skin and it just stays wet and slimy. It never seems to go anywhere, and just keeps piling up. At least my merino absorbs it, and then it evaporates quickly or absorbs into my camo layer. My camo is dripping wet sometimes as well. But my merino base layers are always dry when I go to bed every night. And my merino is softer than my cotton t-shirts.

S.Clancy

WKR
I'd say you are a little heavy, but you are packing ~15 lbs of water. Depends on how important being really comfortable up there is for you. I've hauled up to 4 gallons of water in places (just under 34lbs), which is hideous. I pack quite a bit lighter than you, I was at just over 70lbs with that much water.