Toughest Dog Bed

stank.243

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have recommendations on tough dog beds or alternatives? Both my dogs love ripping apart the blankets and beds (that we’ve tried) in their crates. They are in their kennels 4 days of the week for 9-10 hours, so I’d like to have a little insulation vs laying on the plastic liner.
The most recent was a carhartt-like material bed that seemed rip proof but proved unworthy.
The only thing I haven’t tried are the pvc framed platforms with no stuffing. Not sure if one of these would work out.
They get good exercise, are crate trained and don’t care about Kongs with PB or other toys if they have a blanket or bed to chew on instead.
Any ideas?

Bigboone1988

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had best luck with primo pads in my dog crates. When my lab was a puppy he eventually scratched through the outer layer and got to the pad….took a couple months.

BBarnett13

Lil-Rokslider
This worked well for my GSP that destroyed multiple Kong branded crate pads. There are tie down loops in all corners so I drilled holes in the bottom of the plastic crate and zip stripped them in place to hold the pad down.

Vaultman

WKR
Kuranda. I got the "Slimline Crate Bed".
I have had my dog's for a year and it still looks like the day it got here. I doubt she will ever get it torn apart. They are a quality product and their price does reflect that, but it's been worth it for me.
She was going through a bed about every 2 months before this one. Was driving me nuts.
Best part is she likes it.

Last edited:

KurtR

WKR
Wet mut mats. They cut it to fit my kennel. It’s been in for three years with only a few scratches on it.

Chase0109

FNG
Most chew resistant crate mat I’ve found. Just ordered 2 for my GWP’s outside kennels. My younger dog likes to use the mats as chew toys while I’m away and they’re outside. Company offers a 125 day chew guarantee. Also have loops to attach the bed to the floor of the crate in a wire kennel.

Chase

Wrench

WKR
I'm thinking a tractor tire filled with cedar bark is about the only thing that may stand a chance against my monster. I can't wait until puppy phase is over.

sacklunch

WKR
Anyone have recommendations on tough dog beds or alternatives? Both my dogs love ripping apart the blankets and beds (that we’ve tried) in their crates. They are in their kennels 4 days of the week for 9-10 hours, so I’d like to have a little insulation vs laying on the plastic liner.
The most recent was a carhartt-like material bed that seemed rip proof but proved unworthy.
The only thing I haven’t tried are the pvc framed platforms with no stuffing. Not sure if one of these would work out.
They get good exercise, are crate trained and don’t care about Kongs with PB or other toys if they have a blanket or bed to chew on instead.
Any ideas?
Have you tried not putting them in their kennel 40 hours/week? that could help.

OP
stank.243

stank.243

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll take a look at those brands.

As for the less than helpful comments. I'll see what my boss says about reducing my hours so they can be out of their kennels more. Or maybe I should just let the destructive dogs roam and see what they get into...

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
K9 Ballistics have worked for me. However, crated for 9-10 hours a day is way too much. I have Field Trial Labs and when we are running trials they can be kenneled in a trailer for that long but that is only over a weekend or so. Otherwise they are in the house during the day and are fine outside of their crates.

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
The Kuranda raised beds, or something similar. My to pups are pretty good, but my friends Dutch Shepard is not. The kuranda worked for him.
Also what helped, was having someone take him out half way through the day. Even if it’s just for 20min in the yard.

KurtR

WKR
K9 Ballistics have worked for me. However, crated for 9-10 hours a day is way too much. I have Field Trial Labs and when we are running trials they can be kenneled in a trailer for that long but that is only over a weekend or so. Otherwise they are in the house during the day and are fine outside of their crates.
You run your own dogs or have a pro handle them in the open for you. Hoping to run a qual if time permits this year.

They are in their kennels 4 days of the week for 9-10 hours, so I’d like to have a little insulation vs laying on the plastic liner.
You're worried about a little insulation vs the plastic liner but having them crated up 10 hours a day doesn't bother you?

This isn't for a crate, but my Labs have always been place trained using one of these and never had an issue. My last pup was picked up at the usual 8 weeks and within 2-3 weeks of having her she would not leave her place (elevated cot) without my permission. They stay in the garage full time and have never had them have an accident or chew anything. Since they are place trained now anything can be a place, whether it's a rug, elevated bed, or a crate.

I’ve had best luck with primo pads in my dog crates. When my lab was a puppy he eventually scratched through the outer layer and got to the pad….took a couple months.
My Draht turned everything I tried into hamster bedding. Bought a primo pad and she quit trying after a day and two years later it still looks great. Great company to deal with imo

Out of the box here.......but way back in the day I used to build commercial playgrounds. For fall protection we would install 2.5-4" rubber tiles under them. With a little handwork, you cut trim two and line the kennel.

tony

WKR
K9 Ballistics here as well. They offer a 1 time replacement if your dog eats one.
We have a Doberman and so far he hasn’t tore through any of his beds.
Crate set is a “trampoline“ with crate pad.

SWOHTR

WKR
Alternative: what about dog daycare once or twice per week? Yes it’s expensive but our experience, well worth it with our juvenile Springer. He’d be “dog tired” the next day and rest.

So, what if you did Tues/Thurs? Assuming they get exercised well on the weekend, that’s Monday to recover. Then playing hard on Tuesday at daycare = Weds recovery.