Toughest Dog Bed

j_volt

WKR
I know a lot of people like Primo Pads, but my GSP ruined that in all of about 12 minutes.

I use dog cots. We went through all kinds of dog beds before. The cots work well and the dogs seem happy

Plus you can hose them off.

Rob5589

WKR
A bored dog will shred just about anything. A dog doesn't really need anything soft to lay on. They're built to lay on whatever surface. You could place the crate on carpet or the like for some insulation if you think it's needed. Generally the plastic crates are pretty thin. We're using a Kong bed now and it's holding up to daily scratching and digging. But it's just a day bed in the living room. In the kennel where he sleeps at night is a basic fabric pad that gets replaced when he stinks it up.

the dogs are not very subtly telling you that they're bored out of their minds. that's the issue to put some resources into solving.

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
A bored dog will shred just about anything. A dog doesn't really need anything soft to lay on. They're built to lay on whatever surface. You could place the crate on carpet or the like for some insulation if you think it's needed. Generally the plastic crates are pretty thin. We're using a Kong bed now and it's holding up to daily scratching and digging. But it's just a day bed in the living room. In the kennel where he sleeps at night is a basic fabric pad that gets replaced when he stinks it up.

I disagree that a dog doesn't need a pad to lay on. Particularly if it's a working dog.
It's about protecting the hips and other susceptible body parts. Lots of dogs have hip issues. A soft pad helps to protect the hips.
Vet bills and dogs that have health issues as they age cost a lot of money. And I suspect that in the long run a lot less expensive and less heartache watching a dog that hurts but wants to work kinda hurts in itself

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
You run your own dogs or have a pro handle them in the open for you. Hoping to run a qual if time permits this year.
I run my own dogs. Professionally trained but I handle them myself. Mostly run Hunt Tests but have ran Quals and Derbies with them. Tons of fun.

I use dog cots. We went through all kinds of dog beds before. The cots work well and the dogs seem happy

Plus you can hose them off.
Also had to switch to a dog cot because my old boy tore up every other bed he got. So far it’s been the most durable

If you're trying to insulate them from the floor then put the insulation where they can't get it, under the plastic that they lay on. Could get some of that pink foam board from Home Depot and cut to size and glue to the bottom of the crate.

I am in the same boat as you, run the heck out of them when you can and go to tractor supply and buy a rubber cattle mat and cut it to fit in the crate. Only thing I have found to work for my gsp and pointers, and relatively cheap

Dakota Dude

Lil-Rokslider
I had a cot for my GPS for 10 years, She tears up every single other bed. The only reason I don't have a cot anymore is because she's older, and the cot sun rotted.

I wonder if one of those yucky tasting sprays would dissuade the chewing? It sure keeps my dog from the digging up houseplants and chewing on the couch, carpet, and rugs. But there's a recognizable odor included as a warning of yuckiness so I'm not sure I'd want it on a bed the dog is supposed to be using.