Trailer for 2 llamas

I know the modern single horse trailers can hold 2 llamas but can the older slightly more narrow trailers hold 2? Trying not to buy more than I’ll need. Thanks

squirrel

WKR
This is similar to buying a boat or trailer to haul your goose decoys. When the Mrs aint looking in the off season them decoys get to nesting and next thing you know you need a bigger boat to haul them all. GET A DECENT TRAILER! A 5x12 is a great size and will be used for many other things besides animals. Otherwise just put a wood frame around a lawn mower trailer with wheelbarrow tires and hope for the best.

I did the cheap old rusty bumper pull stock trailer, it works fine, I would get nervous sometimes watching other trailers with broken axels on the highway and 4 horses inside, I went ahead and just got a nicer newer gooseneck. after owning a gooseneck I will never go back to a bumper pull, animals ride better pulls better, its safer . and I have a tack room with tons of room for gear.
also you will start with 2 llamas and end up with 3-5, I have 5 now and wont go back, its slightly more work saddling and staking them out and so on, but other than that its perfect I feel

OP
ColoradoBackpackHunter
This is similar to buying a boat or trailer to haul your goose decoys. When the Mrs aint looking in the off season them decoys get to nesting and next thing you know you need a bigger boat to haul them all. GET A DECENT TRAILER! A 5x12 is a great size and will be used for many other things besides animals. Otherwise just put a wood frame around a lawn mower trailer with wheelbarrow tires and hope for the best.

I already played the boat card so I’ll have to see if I have the trailer card still in the deck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ColoradoBackpackHunter

Yup. Those 2 horse dual axle ms are a dime a dozen around me so if need be I can pick one of those up. I was hoping to go just as big as needed but the single trailers from those years is narrower than the newest single horse trailers. The single horse aren’t very popular around here either so there’s probably a reason.

Reactions: JMF
I started with this, it's a great trailer, fixed it all up, new floor and lights, pigtail, and tires and wheel bearings brakes and such.. but the rust does make me nervous.... but all in all its been a great trailer, it has a center divider too, so you can put gear, hay or whatever else you need to haul and llamas in the back or vice versa, personally a stock trailer like this in my mind is way more versatile than a 2 horse trailer , I can haul wood lumber , store my ATV in it in winter, its 16' long inside, I did buy a gooseneck as well but im going to keep this trailer as well,

Attachments

• IMG_3026.jpeg
    IMG_3026.jpeg
    389.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3014.jpeg
    IMG_3014.jpeg
    304.9 KB · Views: 25
I know the modern single horse trailers can hold 2 llamas but can the older slightly more narrow trailers hold 2? Trying not to buy more than I’ll need. Thanks

Multiple llamas can fit in the bed of a pickup truck (Ford 8 foot bed).

So any trailer at all that is the same size or bigger than a pickup bed will be able to hold multiple llamas.

There are llama cages for the back of pickups.

TaperPin

WKR
Yup. Those 2 horse dual axle ms are a dime a dozen around me so if need be I can pick one of those up. I was hoping to go just as big as needed but the single trailers from those years is narrower than the newest single horse trailers. The single horse aren’t very popular around here either so there’s probably a reason.

The guys I’ve known that had a single axle have said it only takes a flat tire in a bad place with a single axle and you‘ll sell it and buy a dual.

TaperPin

WKR
Maybe you’re thinking about this all wrong - maybe rather than llamas behind your truck, they should be above it.

Here is an actual photo of a Rokslider headed out for the mule deer opener. Tikka in the back seat, freshly emptied can of camo rifle paint, and bright red nail polish for hooves and scope mount screws. Hunting podcast reruns blaring, peak of fall colors on the hillside and cool mountain air breezing through his hair.

Attachments

• 1956448E-A490-41CF-AFD4-E17752E5F2DB.jpeg
    1956448E-A490-41CF-AFD4-E17752E5F2DB.jpeg
    754.4 KB · Views: 36

Wrench

WKR
There's someone in the st joe river area in Idaho that has a tiny horse trailer pulled with a newer land cruiser and that's their deal is hauling llamas. Funny little outfit.

squirrel

WKR
Maybe you’re thinking about this all wrong - maybe rather than llamas behind your truck, they should be above it.

Here is an actual photo of a Rokslider headed out for the mule deer opener. Tikka in the back seat, freshly emptied can of camo rifle paint, and bright red nail polish for hooves and scope mount screws. Hunting podcast reruns blaring, peak of fall colors on the hillside and cool mountain air breezing through his hair.
That pic is priceless. I need to use that on my website under the "transportation" section. Some really well trained llamas for sure unless it was faked. I always thought I could get 4-5 in an Otter for a fly in moose pack crew, off loading without a nice dock would be a bit challenging.

TaperPin

WKR
That pic is priceless. I need to use that on my website under the "transportation" section. Some really well trained llamas for sure unless it was faked. I always thought I could get 4-5 in an Otter for a fly in moose pack crew, off loading without a nice dock would be a bit challenging.
That picture is off a motorcycle travel blog - down in Bolivia those might be alpacas.

my 16' stock trailer I could put 8 in I believe, I put 5 in now,,, 8 would be tight.
my newer goose neck trailer I have now is wider and im sure I could get 8 in it as well, but that would be the max I believe as well
its also 16' long inside and 7' wide, slightly wider than most trailers