Training for western hunt

Paeast

FNG
Good afternoon fellas. I had a training question for a new guy out west. Most of the training advice i have read seems to say the same thing about endurance and strength training. My question is do you think that is more geared to office guys, and/or do I have an advantage with the type of work ive done for the last 22 years? I have been in concrete work just about the entire time.

A question I would ask you, OP, how would you currently assess your strength, stamina, and physical endurance, especially considering whatever elevation you plan to hunt?

If poor, you would likely benefit from improvement.

If good, better might not hurt.

If awesome to Olympic athlete level, you'd likely not be askng the question. Then again, I could be wrong.

EJDXT21

Lil-Rokslider
I'm from Texas. I wouldn't say the elevation was hard on me. But I definitely was breathing harder going uphill at over 9,000' than at 100'. I'd say the most important things are going to be conditioning your feet, getting used to carrying a heavy pack over uneven terrain, (uses a lot of stabilizer muscles), and short explosive workouts to get your heart rate up, build endurance. If you can, do cardio.

OP
P

Paeast

FNG
Ok thanks guys. Im on the right track. Feeling pretty good about sept.

Rich M

WKR
I walk a couple miles a day leading into a hunt. Try to do a 15 minute mile and do 4-6. Thats my prep.

schmalzy

WKR
Not a ton of western hunting experience but what’s worked well on the few trips I’ve gone on is riding a bike consistently, rucking a few times a month, and a solid amount of low intensity cardio. Getting leg endurance and strength with more resistance than just walking on flat land. Losing any extra weight certainly helps. Another factor I dismissed but now realize is super important is what I’m eating during the trip. Made a big difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Ok thanks guys. Im on the right track. Feeling pretty good about sept.
I haven't run since my last elk hunt, I'm still debating just when I might do a little lifting this year before Sept, I've had Covid at least twice in the last year, and my asthmatic lungs still aren't great. But ya, right now I'm feeling pretty good about September too. (y) And I'm hoping to draw the tag I want and hunt the whole season. Attitude keeps me going regardless what kind of shape I'm in. The first day or two I feel it, but then I get my second wind and am good through the season.

hicountry1

Lil-Rokslider
I've been out west several times. Last hunt was elk, and one day we were over 10k ft in elevation. Needless to say, I was sucking wind.

Even the low ranch was 5700ft.

More Cardio would have definitely helped, but living at almost sea-level, not sure how much

hicountry1

Lil-Rokslider
Getting into as good of shape as possible is great, but being mentally tough is so much more important in my opinion. You can always take one more step if you don't listen to your inner b*tch.
Absolutely. It becomes a mental battle

Firestone

WKR
I don't train at all just assume I stay in shape with a active lifestyle. But the first week of September every year I am wishing I had been doing something. I agree that 90% of it is between the ears but I would love to start the season feeling like I do at the end of the season

id_jon

WKR
If you are wearing tool bags for 8-12 hours a day, you're definitely off to a good start. I'm a roofer so I thought I'd be fine with no additional training when I went on my first backpack elk hunt, I've trained more each year since then. If you do it right, training will not only make your elk hunt easier, but your day job too.

huntnful

WKR
I've never trained a day in my life and I've killed plenty of elk, mule deer and bears all DIY. Being in good physical condition isn't going to hurt, but being MENTALLY tough and not quitting is something you can't train.
Basically this. I do 20 minutes of max incline treadmill, at 3mph, after working out (standard weight lifting) everyday leading up to and during hunting season. Basically the physical part is blown out of proportion because it's more intriguing and fun to focus on. It is probably only 10% of what matters. But it definitely helps when hunting multiple hard days in a row. But the other 90% is mental, and just not quitting. And I think that only comes with time and trips in the mountains.

Lose some extra weight and figure out how to get your pack weight down to a minimum. That'll pay off 10X more than your gym sessions.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I'm from Texas. I wouldn't say the elevation was hard on me. But I definitely was breathing harder going uphill at over 9,000' than at 100'. I'd say the most important things are going to be conditioning your feet, getting used to carrying a heavy pack over uneven terrain, (uses a lot of stabilizer muscles), and short explosive workouts to get your heart rate up, build endurance. If you can, do cardio.
Adjusting to elevation, yup.

WKR
There are lots of good training programs and ideas at sites like Mountain Tough, GORUCK, Mountain/Tactical Athlete, and others.

One thing I think is valuable, after you establish a base of fitness, is to occasionally do two days of hard workouts in a row. Think about it: It’s not uncommon to kill elk at last shooting light after a hard day’s hunt, bone it out and walk out in the dark with just the tenderloins, and then be back the next day for a hard pack out.

Mental toughness can be invaluable on that pack out day. But physical preparation goes hard in hand with it.

grfox92

WKR
Get out there and hike with weight in your pack. If you need to use a gym and don't have time to hike, raise the incline on the treadmill as high as it goes and walk. You will get winded fast. Start carrying dumbbells on that routine if you feel silly wearing a weighted pack at a crowded gym.

Trust me when I tell you, no amount of conventional weight training can prepare you for hiking in the mountains. You are going to use muscles you never knew existed and can't really be worked with weights.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk