trajectory change charts temp and elevation?

SDHNTR

WKR
I hunt in a wide range of weather and elevations, from sea level to 10k and 0-90 degrees. I’m trying to get a custom turret cut. Or maybe 2. Trying to get a better feel for the impact so I can make better choices for the average.

Is anyone aware of any online charts out there that show a trajectory curve for both elevation and temp?

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Thanks. I know there are a lot of ballistic calculators out there. I was looking for a trajectory curve chart. Otherwise I would have to plug-in a whole bunch of different temperature settings in the calculator to come up my own. I’m just trying to get close enough here, doesn’t have to be perfectly precise.

JNDEER

WKR
SD- I believe vortex chart graphs out- or at least it use to, that’s what I used. I ran a lot of numbers for a turret I wanted to use in HI and high in the sierras- from what I saw for me temp had very little affect... the elevation plays much more of a role.

Are you trying to get a graph over various temps or elevation? Either way I think you will have to plug and play a little to find a sweet spot or focus on two turrets

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
SD- I believe vortex chart graphs out- or at least it use to, that’s what I used. I ran a lot of numbers for a turret I wanted to use in HI and high in the sierras- from what I saw for me temp had very little affect... the elevation plays much more of a role.

Are you trying to get a graph over various temps or elevation? Either way I think you will have to plug and play a little to find a sweet spot or focus on two turrets
Roger that. Was hoping for a shortcut. It may not exist.

jmike

FNG
Take a look at Kenton Industries. If you buy one of there custom turrets you get there ballistics app for free, you just input the new conditions and the will give corrections for your turret on the spot.....

MIke

Brendan

WKR
Those ballistics calculators will take you less than 5 minutes to check like 4 or 5 different altitude and temperature combinations. Check Hot and Cold at Sea level, then Hot and Cold at hunting elevation. Compare drops at max range. Berger's is pretty straight forward:

WCB

WKR
Personally this is why I do not like "custom" turrets...unless you get multiple. If you have scope set up to dial run the numbers you are looking for through any ballistic app and print off charts to attach to the rifle.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Personally this is why I do not like "custom" turrets...unless you get multiple. If you have scope set up to dial run the numbers you are looking for through any ballistic app and print off charts to attach to the rifle.
Agree, which is why I'm getting at least two turrets. I just want to see what's what so that I can cover the broadest range possible.

Using commercial ELD-X in 6.5 CM at 5000 feet (200 yard zero):
YardageTemperatureMOA

That's about an 11" difference going from 0 degrees to 90 degrees. That is a clean miss on many animals.

Use the calculators as a starting point. Then go collect live data, including your muzzle velocity, under the various conditions that you want to hunt in.

The saying "garbage in, garbage out" is 100% applicable here. If you decide to cut corners, expect to miss.

JimCraig

Lil-Rokslider
Altitude is not what you want to be paying attention to. Absolute pressure is what you want. Forget altitude. As has already been pointed out. Custom turrets are just a short cut to a miss. They only work in theory, because it's literally impossible to replicated the environmental conditions that they are "custom" designed for. If you're shooting at a distance that requires indexing turrets, it inherently takes the precision out of custom turrets.

ChrisA

WKR
I prefer density altitude (DA). Can usually print out dope sheets at 1000, 2000, 3000, 4000 and 5000 for here in the summer. I'm at 900 feet above sea level and most of the matches are too.

Chris

pyrotechnic

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks. I know there are a lot of ballistic calculators out there. I was looking for a trajectory curve chart. Otherwise I would have to plug-in a whole bunch of different temperature settings in the calculator to come up my own. I’m just trying to get close enough here, doesn’t have to be perfectly precise.

......the JBM trajectory card will literally do exactly what you're asking for.

What pryo said, JBM trajectory card does what you are asking for. That being said, if you already have MOA or MIL turrets just use them, in my opinion they are just as simple as custom turrets if you just take a little time and learn to use them. They can be used at any elevation in any weather condition. Anyone who doesn’t understand how to use MOA/MIL turret has no business shooting “long range” especially at an animal. Custom turrets are a gimmick to make people think they are going to buy the turrets put them on and shoot 1000yds without having to known anything about ballistics.

I don’t know what kind of distance you are talking about but I wouldn’t trust those turrets over 500-600 yards at most and that would be pushing it. Most (not all) people that I know or have talked to about custom turrets don’t have any business shooting the yardages on the turrets. Like you said you are looking for average conditions and over 600 yards averages won’t cut it for cold bore hits.

Im not trying to be a jerk or anything it’s just in my opinion custom turrets are useless and people are better off learning to use the MOA/MIL turrets on the scopes. If someone can’t understand and use MOA/MIL turrets then it’s highly unlikely they understand how to read and adjust windage, which is much more difficult of a skill to learn and apply than adjusting elevation.