Tree Stand Harness Recommendations

bigsky2

Lil-Rokslider
I am in the market for a lightweight tree stand harness. I would like something simple and easy to put on. I will be hiking in several miles so I would prefer something minimalist. It seems that a lot of people are using rock climbing harnesses. The simplicity of a rock climbing harnesses is very appealing, but it seems like in the event of an actual fall they might not work as well since you tie in at the front of your waist. Has anyone ever actually fell in a rock climbing harness while facing away from the tree? Any recommendations on harnesses are appreciated!

fatlander

WKR
I fell in my RCH last year while stepping into my lock on that I’d just hung. The bottom of the stand kicked out. I fell straight down about 1 foot. Scared the s*** out of me, but otherwise unscathed. According to the TMA Over 85% of falls happen while climbing in and out of the stand (I.e. when you’re facing the tree). I easily rehung my stand and hunted the rest of the evening. Had I been tethered behind my back like a traditional harness I’m not so sure the self rescue/recovery and continued hunt would have gone as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HSS harness. I have the ultra light which is great for bow hunting but during ML season, the strap doesn't fit well when shouldering a gun so I'm going to get one of the vests.

Claypa

FNG
Used a muddy diamondback last year. Probably not the lightest but simple and good quality, and they do make one that the call super-lightweight. I may be trying out a tree saddle this year myself.

LWPost

FNG
I like my muddy harness (not sure which model) as well. the vest style ones seem too bulky.

Netherman

WKR
Short answer:
You won't fall out of a RCH.

Longer explanation:
I think the best way to explain the physics is imagining taking off a pair of sweat pants with one hand (attachment point) even with a super baggy waist you'd need to move your had around to the other side to get them all the way off. Now imagine doing the same thing with a tied drawstring (properly adjusted RCH).

I love my RCH as it allows me to easily add layers without unhooking from the tree and rotate 360 in the stand with out tether interference (I use a 60cm beal jammy prussiked to a rope that hangs on the tree just above my seat).

jhendley2

FNG
I’ll never wear another harness that attaches to my back again. Rock climbing harness for me.
I have been tossing around the idea of switching to a rock climbing harness this year. Which one do you prefer to use? I would ideally like one that is easy on/off and have noticed that only the Alpine bod harness is the only one that has buckles for the leg straps. Most of the other ones look like a ***** to get in and out of especially later in the year with more layers on

jhendley2

FNG
(I use a 60cm beal jammy prussiked to a rope that hangs on the tree just above my seat).
Would you happen to have a picture of this set up? This is another issue I have wondered about is how to attach to my tree strap.

Paridgerunner

Lil-Rokslider
I have the HSS flex lite but need a new one. The Hawk lite for $100 looks really nice w smaller buckles than the HSS. Anyone have the Hawk?

N2TRKYS

WKR
I have been tossing around the idea of switching to a rock climbing harness this year. Which one do you prefer to use? I would ideally like one that is easy on/off and have noticed that only the Alpine bod harness is the only one that has buckles for the leg straps. Most of the other ones look like a ***** to get in and out of especially later in the year with more layers on

Black Diamond Vario Speed harness. I put it on when I get to my tree.

Netherman

WKR
Would you happen to have a picture of this set up? This is another issue I have wondered about is how to attach to my tree strap.

Kinda tough to get one with it hooked up. Hopefully this helps.
79fe706aa8357f9058c5419de41232c1.jpg

c8b5f208a5c9319e455c03434484cc19.jpg

Netherman

WKR
Worth noting that I’m a lefty. For a right hand shooter I’d recommend routing the rope under your right arm.

LostArra

WKR
I've quit trying to convince others that the rock climbing harness is better because for some folks it may not be but it's the only way I hunt from a tree.

JTR11

FNG
I typically use a lone wolf hand climber. I prefer a rock climbing harness particularly for ascending / descending. And really nice to be able to easily add/remove layers. The full body harness i used last year didn't fit well on top of my jacket/bibs later in the season. And it didn't work great trying to add a layer over the top of it.

Have to agree with others, the rock climbing harness is the way to go, set up the same as Netherman. For me at least, its a no contest. I use a black diamond vario with a tethrd 11mm tree tether/prussic knot, connected to the tree up and down in a Lone Wolf Hand Climber II. I did a few mock falls and am absolutely comfortable with this set up. Even though you are facing away, the carabiner connects in front basically where your belt buckle would be and runs under your arm. When you fall you get pulled to where you are facing the tree.

JoshC

FNG
I am in the market for a lightweight tree stand harness. I would like something simple and easy to put on. I will be hiking in several miles so I would prefer something minimalist. It seems that a lot of people are using rock climbing harnesses. The simplicity of a rock climbing harnesses is very appealing, but it seems like in the event of an actual fall they might not work as well since you tie in at the front of your waist. Has anyone ever actually fell in a rock climbing harness while facing away from the tree? Any recommendations on harnesses are appreciated!
I always use the Hunter Safety system! Works great and easy to use.
I love hunter safety systems!

kpk

WKR

I use the black diamond alpine bod and am super happy with it. I'd never go back to a full harness.

N2TRKYS

WKR
For those using typical full body hunting harnesses that attach to your back at your shoulder blades, simulate a fall(I’m talking about safely hanging by it) and try to self rescue. If that ain’t enough for you, think about the suspension trauma that you’re incurring in a short amount of time while hanging that way in a real world situation.