Tree stand height

12-15’ during early season to stay below the canopy for shooting lanes. 20-25’ late season when foliage has dropped.

I hang and hunt around 8 to 13 feet with 2 sticks and an aider. In the past 2 seasons I’ve done this I haven’t been picked off visually. I had a big doe walk right under me last year and the range finder showed 3 yards to the forest floor after I shot her.

Bouldar

Lil-Rokslider
I'm between 16-18 feet up,never had an issue with being seen.
I would prefer this too but many of our stands are shorter because the woods are thick. Get too high and you loose all visibility.

Ideal to me is 15-20 foot. The highest that I can have and still cover the area.

dtrkyman

WKR
I prefer my feet 17-20 feet to get out of the line of sight, but the location and the tree available are more important.

I have killed deer from a stand that I could reach from the ground up to 25 feet.

Cover in the tree is more important than height.

RCL

WKR
Cover and terrain dictate my stand height.
Most at 10 -15',
I prefer the shot angle from lower stands.

Paul J

FNG
When you guys set tree stands do you have a set height, minimum height, maximum height, or just let the location dictate your height? I have some stands that are only 10' off the ground and others that are almost 30'. I can't say that the height makes as much difference as the available cover at the given height. Just want to hear others opinions and experiences
If you have the wind and only concerned with visual, height isn’t as big a deal. In the evening when the thermals drop, being higher can help with scent in the case you have inconsistent wind.

BIG_KUMAR

Lil-Rokslider
There are a lot of variables that should help decide how high to go on any given tree, and every tree is going to be different. Some are better hunted at 10 feet, and some are better at 20+ feet. Vegetation, shooting lanes, visibility, etc. will all determine the best height for that particular setup. Assuming I have adequate concealment and visibility, I prefer to stay around 16-18 feet off the ground.

I have one tree that better at 10 feet than it is any higher. You are basically tucked behind some scrub brush that hides you extremely well, and looking/shooting over it.

I have another that should be hunted around 22-24 feet because its sits about 6 feet lower in a creek bed. You are really closer to 16-18 feet above the trails that it is looking over.

SpringM1A

Lil-Rokslider
I go as high as I can. I mostly hunt mornings. This permits me to climb up in the dark without looking down to scare myself. Then, as light appears, I gradually warm up to the height. I find that I never get up as high for afternoon hunts. I believe that the higher I get the less likely I am to get busted as I fidget a lot. Some claim that more height hinders shots, that it is more difficult to get a double lung hit. Not an issue for me, I finished my season without loosing an arrow. Guess I should have been higher!

FLATHEAD

WKR
My first archery kill I couldnt have been more than 8-10ft off the ground.
I rarely hunt out of a stand now, but when I did I'd say somewhere around 12-15ft.
Deer arent really very tall.

MajorAR

Lil-Rokslider
10 to 15 feet max. I prefer the lower angle shot to vitals, hunt the wind, and don't move around much.