Trekking pole tents with handles down (Xmid)

stephane110

Lil-Rokslider
I’m planning to upgrade from my Lanshan 2 tent, because a squirrel chewed up all the edges last elk season. My top choice is the Durstan Xmid2, but from what I can tell it requires the poles to be tops up with handles on the ground. Given my squirrel experience with the Lanshan, I’m not keen on having my cork handles on the dirt. I figure the sweat from my hands probably attracts critters who like to chew things. Anyone have experience with this?

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
I have xmid 1. I run mine with handles up for the same reason. Even though it’s reinforced and has brass grommet, I cringe at the thought of a tungsten trekking pole tip wearing through during a raging wind storm.

Love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ranger619

WKR
I have an X-mid that I just bought this winter. I set it up a couple of times with the tips up and did not like the idea of the tips having the chance of popping out of the grommets and damaging the tent. I just did a two night trip last weekend and set it up with the handles up. It worked for me.

OP
S

stephane110

Lil-Rokslider
sounds like it not a big deal to have them upright then. I wonder why they specify tips up...