Trekking Poles when you need your hands

Poser

WKR
The ground is too hard/rocky to stick your trekking poles in the ground to sufficiently support their own weight. You need your hands to get a snack, take a drink, check the map etc. what do you do with your trekking poles and when you prop them up against your stomach and the inevitably fall, do you curse the gods?

Thinking a magnet setup on the hip belt or similar.

You might try these....saw them on a backpacking site. Looked interesting...Garagegear.com

htlt_surfboards

Lil-Rokslider
I put a S type carabiner on my waist belt of my pack. If using trekking poles I will hook the straps on there so they don't fall over when doing something. I also hook my bow on there if I want to glass something quickly while walking.

Attachments

• IMG_7420.jpg
    IMG_7420.jpg
    368.6 KB · Views: 99
OP
P

Poser

WKR
I put a S type carabiner on my waist belt of my pack. If using trekking poles I will hook the straps on there so they don't fall over when doing something. I also hook my bow on there if I want to glass something quickly while walking.

Good idea. I have one of those carabiners laying around somewhere.

Cfujan

FNG
Lol serious first-world problems. Nothing I hate more than when my binos fall out of the harness. Almost makes a guy want to leave his poles at the truck all together.

Lowg08

WKR
Yeah, but then You bend over to pick them up and your (sweaty) shirt rides up your back exposing your sweaty skin to your backpack and sometimes, if your bino harness isn’t closed, your binos fall, maybe you even lose a wind checker bottle.
So I feel better knowing I’m not the only spaz out hunting.

elkliver

Lil-Rokslider
a sagebrush, a tree, a manzanita bush, mountain mahogany, a rock outcropping... all are good to lean your poles against... ln the off chance there is nothing in that specific location... is it that hard to bend down and pick up your poles? I really don't see a large need for solution here. But maybe thats because i am not a fan of gadgets. I think we make things way too complicated

I have a neoprene water bottle holder on my waste with the bottom cut out enough that I can slip them in there but they want fall through.

Also use this after collapsing them when I’m the caller and we have an elk coming in so my hands are free to rake or whatever.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
a sagebrush, a tree, a manzanita bush, mountain mahogany, a rock outcropping... all are good to lean your poles against... ln the off chance there is nothing in that specific location... is it that hard to bend down and pick up your poles? I really don't see a large need for solution here. But maybe thats because i am not a fan of gadgets. I think we make things way too complicated
It could be when you don’t want to shift your weight on sketchy terrain or just having a heavy pack.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m actually terrible at putting my hand through the strap. I like to switch from grasping the handle to an over the top grip, gives you a little more length when needed without adjusting them. Putting my sternum strap through the wrist strap works great but not sure how feasible that is for those with a chest holster and/or bulky bino harness.

2-Stix

WKR

MTtrout

WKR
I often rest into them with my chest/stomach or butt if the ground is good. Other than that drop them and grab them. Take a sit or stand. Trekking pole are a huge game changer, used them for years