Trekking Poles

WyoElk

WKR
Looking for a new set of trekking poles. I previously had the Costco set and they were great. My kids broke them so I’m looking at possibly upgrading.

I’m looking pretty hard at the Leki Corklite. Any others I should be considering. Any reason to get a more premium pole or should I stick with the Costco poles?

Jimss

WKR
You can get Leki poles at Sierra Trading Post for around 40 to 50% off.. I'm sure you can get just as good of deals on other backpacking gear websites, Craigslist, Ebay, etc. Why not buy the best available at a significant discount? If you have a coupon code you can get an even better deal. I've been using my Leki's (that I bought at ST) for around 10 years without a problem. Take a look at the reviews on the particular pole you are interested in and you should be good to go.

I say just buy another pair, or two, of the ones at Costco and call it good. I’ve bought a fair number of trekking poles over the years and wish I could’ve/would’ve just bought the Cascade’s at Costco initially.
560637e3a678c9004b4184be1ddfe903.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I say just buy another pair, or two, of the ones at Costco and call it good. I’ve bought a fair number of trekking poles over the years and wish I could’ve/would’ve just bought the Cascade’s at Costco initially.
560637e3a678c9004b4184be1ddfe903.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As always, ask the man who KNOWS ….. Personally, I think the Costco poles are pretty damn nice

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can get Leki poles at Sierra Trading Post for around 40 to 50% off.. I'm sure you can get just as good of deals on other backpacking gear websites, Craigslist, Ebay, etc. Why not buy the best available at a significant discount? If you have a coupon code you can get an even better deal. I've been using my Leki's (that I bought at ST) for around 10 years without a problem. Take a look at the reviews on the particular pole you are interested in and you should be good to go.
I'd be interested in hearing why you think they are the "BEST" available?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
I guess I should re-phrase my post above. Features to look for in top quality trekking poles: Compactness, light weight, lock in and don't release, durability, easy height adjustment "on the fly", ability to withstand high impact and torque from rock, strong and sturdy material to withstand high stress with high force from heavy loads, comfortable handle and straps.

I bought a pair of Leki's at a bargain price at Sierra Trading Post around 10 years ago with all of these features and have literally tortured them through the years. I guess I have no other trekking poles to compare them against because I have never needed another pair? My Leki's offer all the features mentioned above and continue to work extremely well. I'm certain there are other poles that are just as good. There may be a few newer models or brands that may be just as good and are lighter weight/compact? Take a look in detail for these features in web reviews and manufacture descriptions.

OP
W

WyoElk

WKR
Thanks for the input fellas. I snagged a pair of the Leki corklite’s off Sierra for $60. I think they will serve me well and if not I’ll go back to Costco poles.

Coincidentally I was installing some Quick-Stix as I was looking at this thread - I have 4 sets right here, 2 pr. Leki's (one set is at least 15 years old) and a set of 6.5 Cristallo's - Costco Mtn Tech CMT Carbons, 1 with cork tops, 1 with all foam handles - the install instructions say "caution, do not tighten screws too tight" so I applied 2 wraps of Gorilla Tape around each shaft before installing the couplers - just an "idea" for anyone who'll be trying these or TrekBalls (one wrap would prob be adequate with these)
Having broken more carbon fiber fishing rods than I care to admit, the trick is to not nick the shafts, once they're blemished they'll go in a heartbeat