Trials bike vs dirt bike/TW for hunting.

OP
nphunter

nphunter

WKR
Anyone hunted with the electric bikes coming out these days? Decent range, need some suspension work for sure if you are hauling out!

I think it would be cool to build a utility trailer as a camp, have the top covered in solar panels and have some battery storage up front as a charging station. Also carry a rolled up solar charger on the bike in a tube carrier incase you get too far back and it dies. It might take a full day or two to get enough charge to get out but at least you’re not stuck. You could hunt off if the bikes in the daytime and charge them over night. I do think they would have enough range for what I use but I also hunt way out in the sticks a lot and for long periods of time. With the trailer you could stay indefinably and not run out of fuel. Although with my bikes if I have 5 extra gallons of fuel that’s a lot of ground I can cover and I’m normally only going a few to dozen miles a day while hunting. I just use bikes to get to hard to access spots, I don’t hunt off of them so I really don’t put a lot of miles a day on. I think the most I’ve ever put on while hunting is 30 miles and 15 of those I could have easily driven the truck and then offloaded the bike.

tnanselmo

FNG
Does anyone ever use say a trail 90 or some of those older bikes? I have been considering getting one.

TheGDog

WKR
Does anyone ever use say a trail 90 or some of those older bikes? I have been considering getting one.
Have you over tried to do a hillclimb on a 90? With you and a Deer on something of that small of size? Wouldn't be fun.

Trail 90 is weak....underpowered for an adult, at least in CO at high elevation, even with their dual range tranny and a super low. I owned one as a kid in the flat lands and it wasn't too bad., My buddy (140# guy) borrowed one to go CO sheep scouting with me and barely made it up my favorite old mining/jeep road at elevatiions from 8,600' to 11,500'. Suspension is poor too vs a 250 trials bike in my experience.