Trick Pin & Welcome Darin Cooper - Check out his best archery tech article!

Shraggs

WKR
Hi Darin,

As I have been tweaking my set up this fall, I experimented with my single pin slider - works real good. At the risk of you answering the same question for the umpteen time :) I think I might know a way to actually make the trick pin work with a second pin as many have asked you in the past, so I'll give it whirl.

Going to back to posts 47-49 it was suggested a second pin sighted in at 26 yds, and you showed graph that arrow will be low past 32 yds, agreed. Still using your data. Now what if using a second pin, at 26 yds, using the 12" high aim, but insure arrows impact 3" high at 26 yds from the 12" aim reference. By my math the peak flight will be 15" high from the 52 yd pin when shooting from 26 yds and the +/-3" flight path of 10-42.5 maintained, thoughts. Sorry for yet another 2nd pin question !

John

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hi Darin,

As I have been tweaking my set up this fall, I experimented with my single pin slider - works real good. At the risk of you answering the same question for the umpteen time :) I think I might know a way to actually make the trick pin work with a second pin as many have asked you in the past, so I'll give it whirl.

Going to back to posts 47-49 it was suggested a second pin sighted in at 26 yds, and you showed graph that arrow will be low past 32 yds, agreed. Still using your data. Now what if using a second pin, at 26 yds, using the 12" high aim, but insure arrows impact 3" high at 26 yds from the 12" aim reference. By my math the peak flight will be 15" high from the 52 yd pin when shooting from 26 yds and the +/-3" flight path of 10-42.5 maintained, thoughts. Sorry for yet another 2nd pin question !

John

Not sure I'm following your explanation, but give it a shot and let me know what you find John.

There's actually a real good reason... you would miss more than 3" low on anything past 32 yards even if you were shooting a 330 fps bow. See the image below (this one is for a Mckenzie caribou ten-ring) with a bow shooting 330 fps.
attachment.php

The trick pin is NOT just for single pin sights...

You can also use as many pins as you want with the trick pin. I use 7-pins and my sight is an adjustable sight so I can dial in distances beyond 80 yards.

Coop

Stinky- According to the trajectory you would want to set your pin at 37.5 yards, therefore everything between 10-42 yards would be within 3" high/low. Then you could set pins at 50 and out. Then you would be able to aim "dead nuts" every time. This is a great way to get by with one pin, but there is no reason to hold under if you only want one pin and can live with being 3" off on your shots.

Darin, You may have covered this and I probably missed it, but one question. If I wanted to set my trick pin parameter for 3" high and 4" low I would still start at my halfway point (25 yards) to establish my peak trajectory, correct? The lower number will remain unaffected by that distance if I'm understanding correctly.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Darin, You may have covered this and I probably missed it, but one question. If I wanted to set my trick pin parameter for 3" high and 4" low I would still start at my halfway point (25 yards) to establish my peak trajectory, correct? The lower number will remain unaffected by that distance if I'm understanding correctly.

Yes, still use the halfway point. Extending the window to 4" low will allow you to use the trick pin to shoot a yard or two farther.

DC

cooper10

FNG
I love the trick pin setup but I was wondering what happens when you hold dead on or at the back of the elk could you extend your effective range furter.

Tag_Soup

WKR
I know this article is old as dirt, but I just stumbled across it and am intrigued. Is there any reason that a guy cant follow this method, but once you have your "trick" pin sighted, then set a second pin to be on the x while holding the trick pin 12" low at your trick pin yardage? Wouldn't this give you a fixed aiming point that you didn't have to estimate 12" low? Maybe I'm missing something?

Tag_Soup

WKR
Pretty sure I realized the fallacy in my question. The 12" offset is constant throughout all ranges for the trick pin, so a 12" offset at 40 would not be equivalent to the same pin location at 20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Pretty sure I realized the fallacy in my question. The 12" offset is constant throughout all ranges for the trick pin, so a 12" offset at 40 would not be equivalent to the same pin location at 20.

Exactly... that "other pin" location would change at each distance. Up close it may not even be on the animal. Beauty of the trick is you always hold the same point and get a lethal impact.

I've killed several more elk since writing this article and have been 100% on shot opportunities.

My advice is just try it. It's so easy and it works exactly as described... and only as described.

Coop

Tag_Soup

WKR
Exactly... that "other pin" location would change at each distance. Up close it may not even be on the animal. Beauty of the trick is you always hold the same point and get a lethal impact.

I've killed several more elk since writing this article and have been 100% on shot opportunities.

My advice is just try it. It's so easy and it works exactly as described... and only as described.

Coop

Darin,
Do you find it difficult to estimate the offset on steep angled shots? I hunt some very steep country some times and have found that I can over-compensate at times...

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have tested in steep terrain and found it is a bit more challenging to "see and aim" 12 inches low on a steep downhill shot. However, the physics still work and you can actually get more range with your trick pin on steep angled shots.

If you get into a situation that you're not confident using the trick pin, range the animal and use conventional pins/gaps. That's one reason I always recommend a multi pin bowsight over single pin setups.

I tried this trick pin deal, worked great on targets and seemed feasible, but i just overshot a bull the first time and same with a cow the next time i tried it.

I tried this trick pin deal, worked great on targets and seemed feasible, but i just overshot a bull the first time and same with a cow the next time i tried it.

If it worked on targets I would think it would work on animals... I would think the arrow contacted something mid flight or the person behind the bow may have jerked the bow during the shot

R-K

FNG
I found the original article, and am really interested in trying this with my 5-pin setup. Going to try it tomorrow evening after work (can't tonight- hockey game, let's go Blues, etc.).

That being said- what was the initial parameter you did the calculations for? Did you pick a maximum height of 15" and go with that to find the yardage pin to use? Or did you try to maximize the flat trajectory range using the program? Or was it just completely arbitrary?