Tried and failed at casting

m77huntr

FNG
Like the title thread says, tried casting for my first time and it was a failure. Tried a few different ways from slowly pouring to compression casting and tried different lead temps from 775-825 and nothing seems to be working out. Bullet weights are very inconsistent as well as base fillout as seen in the pics. Looking for advice as Im doing this on my own.

Attachments

• IMG_0538.jpeg
    IMG_0538.jpeg
    384.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0539.jpeg
    IMG_0539.jpeg
    410.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0549.jpeg
    IMG_0549.jpeg
    422.7 KB · Views: 45

FrontierGander

Lil-Rokslider
Either the lead is cold or the mold is cold.

I set my pot on full blast. Once the lead melts, I give it another 12 to 15 minutes to warm.

Dip the steel mold into the lead for 30 seconds and start casting.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Well, I don't cast bullets, but from casting other things, the mold needs to be hotter than melting temp of lead, the lead needs to be heated past its melting temp. For silver this if 50-100 degrees past melting, not sure for lead.

I doubt anything else I know from helping with lost wax vacuum and steam casting applies.

OP
M

m77huntr

FNG
Thanks everyone! Ill get the mold hotter and see if that changes anything.

OP
M

m77huntr

FNG
I dont have a way to tell mold temp, I was going by lead temp by whats on the pot of my easymelt.

TaperPin

WKR
Dip your mold part way in the lead, then make a cast to see if it’s hot enough - if not hold the mold in the lead pot a while longer.

Make sure you are dealing with good quality lead/alloy. If wheel weights, melted zinc will cause issues, make sure you only use lead wheel weights (getting rare these days).

If lead is good quality, make sure you flux well through the process. Fine saw dust, commercial flux, all work to draw off the dross and impurities.

Once lead is hot mold temp is important. So is technique for mould fill out. Watch the bottom of the sprue plate, if you develop lead streaks as the mould heats up, wait longer to cut the sprue.

A hot plate is beneficial for mould heating as well. If stuff starts coming out frosty, mould is too hot.

It's an art that requires consistent technique. But can result in good quality bullets with good quality control. But it takes practice.

Check out castboolits too. Great info over there.

Needs to be hotter, both your lead and mold. Casting pure lead can be challenging, adding a small amount of 50/50 solder will help with the fill out - though it will make your bullets harder.

Rich M

WKR
I have a 4# melter ladle thing. When it is melting the lead, I put the mold on top.

I do sinkers, jigs, and some bullets. Gotta be careful with the lead fumes - I do mine outdoors with a fan blowing the fumes down wind.

With the bullets, you can epoxy coat em using a dedicated toaster oven.

Just be sure to size them if using in reloading. Those bullets you show will shoot just fine.

You have to clean the mold .
Denatured alcohol.
Also the moulds have a break in period, heat the mold with a hot plate or through several cycles of casting . You will see a big improvement in the mold’s performance!

Sudsy

FNG
I pour for BP and for metallic.
Get a cheap electric burner from your local thrift shop to heat the mold and keep it hot.
If you're using pure lead add 2% tin. The tin will help it fill out the mold better.
The small tin amount will not affect the hardness enough to notice