Trimming pillars to fit

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Look through this thread. Those plastic spacers he uses are made by Dorman. Most Ace Hdwr have them as does Amazon. They are 1/4" ID 5/16" OD with the flange. I use them when installing pillars to keep them centered up.

And you’re referring to the plastic “bushings” he uses to keep the action screws centered? Those are the Dorman thingys?

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
Leave the "bottom" side of the pillar as it is from the factory. That should be flat enough no? Mine from Manners were.

For the top surface of the pillar, a shallow "V-block" shape is all that's needed. Rough cut the length with a hacksaw and then sand the v-block with a file/sanding block/dremel/etc. Leave it a hair long so that the action definitely touches it.

I like to bed the pillars seperately, so I can ensure its perfectly flush on the bottom inlet. Then I can tweak the heights of both if needed before bedding the action.

Wrench

WKR
Since this went into the weeds....just buy this and thank me later.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Yeah, I’m just afraid of not being able to maintain a perfectly flat surface for the bottom side. I’m assuming the top side is properly scalloped to fit the bottom of the receiver
Use a sheet of glass or some sort, an old window Paine or picture frame.

packer58

WKR
Since this went into the weeds....just buy this and thank me later.

Nice kit, hadn't seen that one ......