Trimming pillars to fit

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
You can stuff your search suggestion! Lol

But I do appreciate the suggestion on recessing the pillars. That would make things easier. I would like to understand the logic though, vs metal to metal.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Also, does Manners include retaining screws to hold the pillars to the action as you drop it down into the holes in the stock?

packer58

WKR
@SDHNTR , this won't help you with your current project but in the future you might take a look at the High-Score adjustable pillars, very easy to work with IMO. Once epoxied in place they are as solid as a one piece pillar. Like others have suggested, keep your pillar a tad short, then epoxy the rest.

packer58

WKR
Also, does Manners include retaining screws to hold the pillars to the action as you drop it down into the holes in the stock?
Can't answer that one but, High-Score makes a kit with the set-up screws included .......

Darryle

WKR
Last time I had pillars installed in a new stock, it was $150ish and I furnished the stock, bottom metal and pillars.

I have done it myself recently on a factory bedded rifle using a spot face with the appropriate sized arbor. I removed the factory bedding around the action screws and then drilled them to the appropriate size on a drill press. I installed them and used furniture clamps to on the receiver and the pillars. Then I bedded the action once I had everything like I wanted it. I used the drill press and spot face to cut the bottom a little proud of flush with the stock and then bedded the bottom metal. It took a little time to get the pillars cut to fit like I wanted. It's currently waiting for the epoxy to cure on the bottom metal bedding. It was a bigger pain in the keester than I thought and I work almost daily with epoxies and carbon fiber. I will pay to have it done in the future.

I don't know how I would go about installing pillars or bedding a new stock and action. Curious to see what you come up with.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Last time I had pillars installed in a new stock, it was $150ish and I furnished the stock, bottom metal and pillars.

I have done it myself recently on a factory bedded rifle using a spot face with the appropriate sized arbor. I removed the factory bedding around the action screws and then drilled them to the appropriate size on a drill press. I installed them and used furniture clamps to on the receiver and the pillars. Then I bedded the action once I had everything like I wanted it. I used the drill press and spot face to cut the bottom a little proud of flush with the stock and then bedded the bottom metal. It took a little time to get the pillars cut to fit like I wanted. It's currently waiting for the epoxy to cure on the bottom metal bedding. It was a bigger pain in the keester than I thought and I work almost daily with epoxies and carbon fiber. I will pay to have it done in the future.

I don't know how I would go about installing pillars or bedding a new stock and action. Curious to see what you come up with.
Thanks. I’ve bedded several stocks in the past, just never with pillars to install at the same time. You’re right, it is a mess and believe me, if I had anyone near me I trusted to do a good job I would gladly hire it out.

packer58

WKR
Thanks. I’ve bedded several stocks in the past, just never with pillars to install at the same time. You’re right, it is a mess and believe me, if I had anyone near me I trusted to do a good job I would gladly hire it out.
Epoxy your pillars first, then bed the action and finish with bedding the bottom metal ..... Takes a bit longer but way less overwhelming .....

I had a friend show me how to bed with pillars. Wasn’t that bad and clean up was a breeze. Just took some time to make sure I got it all cleaned

wapitibob

WKR
Isn’t maximizing metal to metal contact the whole point of pillars in a stock?
No, creating a non compressible area between the action and btm metal is the goal. We use aluminum because it’s light and the rifle stock filler is like balsa wood.
Manners doesn’t provide screws.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
No, creating a non compressible area between the action and btm metal is the goal. We use aluminum because it’s light and the rifle stock filler is like balsa wood.
Doesn’t epoxy compress? If you aren’t metal to metal, there’s epoxy filling the voids. I guess the thought is just a skim bedding over the tops of the pillars so it’s not enough material to compress enough to matter?

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Epoxy your pillars first, then bed the action and finish with bedding the bottom metal ..... Takes a bit longer but way less overwhelming .....
How do you hold the pillars in place in the hole without them moving as the epoxy cures?

wapitibob

WKR
Doesn’t epoxy compress? If you aren’t metal to metal, there’s epoxy filling the voids. I guess the thought is just a skim bedding over the tops of the pillars so it’s not enough material to compress enough to matter?
On flat pillars you’ll end up with a small .050 or so wide longitudinal strip of aluminum showing. The rest of the pillar will have very thin epoxy. Marine Tex and similar don’t compress a measurable amount at 65# torque.

packer58

WKR
How do you hold the pillars in place in the hole without them moving as the epoxy cures?
You'll need set-up screws to secure the pillars to the receiver. You can make your own easy enough by purchasing the right screws from a hardware store, then wrap tape around the screw to "bush" it out to fit snugly into your pillar, that also keeps your action screws centered in the pillar and doesn't become and secondary recoil lug.

packer58

WKR
Keep in mind you are spreading the compressive load throughout the bedded receiver once completed .......