Tripod/Bino Adapter Questions

intunegp

WKR
Hey all,

Looking to integrate a tripod into my kit for the first time this fall as I'm picking up a pair of Maven B5 15x56 to do some more serious glassing. According to the Maven site these weigh 45oz so I want to make sure I have a system capable of keeping them steady while also keeping it as compact and light as possible. I'm also trying to keep things within a reasonable budget but I don't mind going the buy once cry once route if I'm just going to be disappointed with cheaper stuff. I'm just dipping my toes into glassing off a tripod and it seems like maybe some more budget friendly options might be okay to at least help me determine what I like and don't like.

First off, is an Aziak or RRS Cynch style bino adapter sturdy enough to hold a big heavy pair of binos steady? Outdoorsman's seem to be the standard and I'm not opposed to this style but something about the clamp rings are more appealing to me.

On to tripods, I've been considering budget options from Amazon to start but again am concerned with stability. 99.9% of my glassing will be sitting so I'm not too concerned with maximum height, but of course I wouldn't complain if I could stand up and glass without doubling over either. I've looked at the AOKA 28", Sirui 5C, and SmallRig 54" and was considering pairing whichever I choose with a SmallRig fluid pan head. I looked at the Vanguard Veo line too but they don't seem to offer much that some of the cheaper units don't...maybe I'm wrong there and it's just an overall quality thing?

Can anyone speak to personal experiences with any of these units and an almost 3lb set of binos or spotter? If I was going to up the budget from this class, I like the look of the Aziak tripod as well and would likely pair it with their ball head if I went that route.

Thanks for any/all input and I'm definitely open to recommendations for better options!

Edit/update: Picked up the Slik 634 from the Amazon sale. Will likely go with Tricer pan head and bino adapter, though still considering Aziak. Decided it wasn't worth the time/money to filter through cheap stuff.

Last edited:

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
A steady/sturdy tripod is essential or the use of a tripod is no assistance. If it shaky it's no help. It's our pleasure, as a long standing supporting vendor here, to discuss the different available options and special opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have the time. Thanks