Tripod/Head Recommendation

rjschill

FNG
I recently got a Vortex Razor 16-48 spotting scope. I'm looking to get a tripod to complement it. My main uses will be elk, mule deer and antelope. For the elk I envision 50/50 back packing and day hunting with base camp. For antelope it's mostly just truck and day hunting. So weight is a factor, but not a huge concern. I'm 6' if that matters.

Tripods and heads are out of my realm so any help would be appreciated.

Rodéo

WKR
I run the manfrotto 700rc2 head for the same spotter as you. No complaints so far. Has taken some time to get used to in the field but it is a pretty good pan head at a good price. It is a bit bulky, especially with the stock handle, but I have heard of some mods where people have replaced the handle with a piece of a carbon arrow to shave weight, might give that a try. It moves smoothly and locks in place well enough to get a solid view of what you're looking at.

A lot of people will recommend outdoorsmans for good reason I'm sure but I don't have any experience with their heads.

Last year I tried running a spotter on a ball head...which was a fiasco. I have a Sirui VA-5 on the way that should really improve things. Tripods can get expensive, the promaster I have is fine, but it's aluminum so a bit heavy. I'm looking at switching to a slik carbon tripod to save some weight. The deals cameraland has been running on the promaster 525 with the pan head are a very good value, but that tripod might be a bit short for you to stand and glass, particularly uphill. The easiest thing to do is put on your boots and have someone measure to the height of your eyes, then use that measurement to help figure out what tripod height you need.

LaHunter

WKR
I run the Promaster carbon fiber tripod with the Suiri VA-5 head with my 65 mm spotter. This is a solid combo at a reasonable price. The guys a Cameraland have specials for Rokslide members, so give them a call.

kupper

Lil-Rokslider
Promaster xc525c with suiri VA-5 head. i just got the head last scouting season but its awesome! Ive had the tripod for 4 years now and its worked great for me. like LaHunter said cameralandny has specials. This is for sure the route I would recommend.

AirborneEScouter

Lil-Rokslider
Shopping for a tripod can be overwhelming. Quality, weight, functionality and price of each can vary significantly. And often times people buy one brand of tripod legs and a totally different head making it all the more confusing.

For my first tripod I went fairly cheap and bought a vortex pro gt. Very sturdy, I can glass standing up easily (I’m 6’1”), and the panning function is smooth. However, it’s aluminum and it’s about 4.5 lbs. but I got it on A&A Optics website as a refurb (was in perfect shape) for under $100 so I couldn’t complain as I had analysis paralysis pretty bad on my initial foray into this field. I’ve used this for western KS deer hunting where I’m hopping in and out of the truck a lot and my biggest hike is about 1.5 miles. I never camp either, so the weight isn’t a concern at all.

I was recently dinking around on amazon and saw the Slik sprint mini 2 pop up for some reason. It was $50 on amazon on Tuesday when I bought it (I just looked and price went up to $65) but notably, it weighs 1.7 lbs which is a big difference from my vortex model. Now this one doesn’t have a panning head, it uses a ball head that is not nearly as smooth and easy to control the optic so I’ve got an order for a Benro S2 head I paid $70 for on the way. This little tripod is also not as stout given its weight and size (only extends to ~ 43” and is also constructed from aluminum) but I’ve played with it some and think it will be an excellent tripod for the weight savings as I’ll be able to sit while glassing in most of my future adventures anyway. All in I expect this setup with the Benro head to come in at about 2 lbs making it a great backpacking companion.

Anyway those are two I am familiar with. You can go crazy with all the carbon and different pan heads and so forth but for what I use glass for and where my hunting gear priorities lie I will wait a little longer to buy a more spendy set up

GPool1842

WKR
I run the Promaster carbon fiber tripod with the Suiri VA-5 head with my 65 mm spotter. This is a solid combo at a reasonable price. The guys a Cameraland have specials for Rokslide members, so give them a call.

Is this a similar combo? I can’t tell what head it has..

Just started my deep dive into tripods this morning for vortex binoculars. What else is needed to mount the bino’s on the tripod and head? Still learning...

LaHunter

WKR
Is this a similar combo? I can’t tell what head it has..

Just started my deep dive into tripods this morning for vortex binoculars. What else is needed to mount the bino’s on the tripod and head? Still learning...
Yes, that is the tripod that I run, but mine is several years old. That is the newest version. That head looks like the ball head that comes with the tripod. That head will work o.k., but a fluid head like the Suiri VA-5 is going to be a better head, but at more $$. Doug at cameraland has other heads for less $$ that he can tell you about. Give them a call, they are good guys and have helped a lot of rokslide members out.

Elite

WKR
Really happy with my pro master XC525C and the sirui VA5 head

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jsn_leonard

Lil-Rokslider
Vortex high country for back packing in and a pro gt for glassing from the truck. Outdoorsman attachment for bino use on both

OP
rjschill

rjschill

FNG
Thanks for all the help and ideas so far. I figured this would be the easy part! I'll definitely check out camera land. It sounds like Slik, Promaster and Manfrotto are the 3 to check out. I'll also see what vortex has to offer. I'm glad to hear preferences for the head type. It sounds like Suiri VA-5 head is the one to go with.

I had no idea there were so many options.

OP
rjschill

rjschill

FNG
How many of you actually glass standing up or how much time do you spend standing up? I feel like it might not be a priority to have one that extends all the way to my height. I do have an angled spotter which lowers the height requirement a bit.

How many of you actually glass standing up or how much time do you spend standing up? I feel like it might not be a priority to have one that extends all the way to my height. I do have an angled spotter which lowers the height requirement a bit.
I run 2 different setups, depending on circumstances. If packing in and weight conscious, I use a schonfeld carbon 6615T, but a slik 635 would be another good option. I don’t use these standing, though you can, kind of, but not the most comfortable/stable.
If day/truck hunting where weight isn’t the biggest concern and plan on doing more glassing, run the slik 733. With both set ups I use va-5 head. Outdoors and also makes some nice heads, but at a price.